Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-05T12:08:10Z by KSCognos
KSCognos
KSCognos
4 Posts

Pinned topic Cognos Upgrade 8.2 - 10.2.1

‏2014-01-31T13:02:16Z |

We are upgrading from Cognos 8.2 to 10.2.1. We have taken a cold back-up of our Content Store Cognos 8 database and it has been successfully upgraded to 10.2.1. When we log on to the Cognos portal in 10, we can see all Public reports/folders/packages, however under the My Folders tab, all content is  missing.

We are using Active Directory for Authentication in Cognos 10.2.1. The namespace is different from that of Cognos 8. I can see the old Cognos 8 namespace in  Cognos 10.2.1, but it is inactive. 

Do we need to have the same namespace ID/names in both versions in order to see the My Folders content in Cognos 10?  If so, how do I go about this? We didn't use Active Directory in Cognos 8, the server itself provided the authentication.

Do I reconfigure the namespace from Cognos8 in Cognos 10? If so, how will Cognos know which namespace to use at run-time?

Any advice/help would be much appreciated!

Updated on 2014-01-31T13:03:37Z at 2014-01-31T13:03:37Z by KSCognos
  • Scottyj
    Scottyj
    45 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Cognos Upgrade 8.2 - 10.2.1

‏2014-02-04T16:52:41Z  
    • KSCognos
    • ‏2014-02-04T14:12:06Z

Thanks for your help. I haven't had any luck coping from one browser to the other. I believe this is due to the fact that the Cognos installs/versions are on completely separate servers/domains.

I'm going to try to move the My Folder contents for each user over to the Public folder directory, under  a new folder which will hold each users contents. Then, I will export this folder and import it into Cognos10. From there, I will move each user's My folder's content to their tab ( or get them to do it themselves). I will set up security to each users folder in the Public directory so that only the user and myself have access to the content.

What do you think?

KS,

We brought over our content db so that our new environment had all the old content under the old namespace plus it had the namespaces.  In our case we only had one installation with both namespaces making it easy to copy between user folders using the method I described before. Don't understand how you have separate servers/domains since the content is stored in the content store db and that should be pointing at your new system.  Guess our setup was a lot simpler than what you have put together.

I don't know if I would go through all the work of setting up separate security in the public folder just to get everything copied over, just my opinion.

• Scottyj
    Scottyj
    45 Posts

‏2014-01-31T17:27:52Z  

We went through the same process, converting from 8 to 10.1.  Cognos 8 used Series7 authentication and Cognos 10 used AD.  Since they were different namespaces we needed both active in order to bring all the content from one user over to the new user.  Once you copied all of the user 'My folder' content from Cognos 8 namespace to Cognos 10 namespace using the administration tab in Cognos you can then drop off the old namesapce from configuration manager.  We had around 100 users so it wasn't a huge effort.  If you have more than that then you might want to look into a automation tool.  MotioPI might be able to do this or you might be able to use the CMTools that come with Cognos.  Its been awhile since we converted but I hope this helps.

• KSCognos
    KSCognos
    4 Posts

‏2014-02-03T13:43:28Z  
    • Scottyj
    • ‏2014-01-31T17:27:52Z

We went through the same process, converting from 8 to 10.1.  Cognos 8 used Series7 authentication and Cognos 10 used AD.  Since they were different namespaces we needed both active in order to bring all the content from one user over to the new user.  Once you copied all of the user 'My folder' content from Cognos 8 namespace to Cognos 10 namespace using the administration tab in Cognos you can then drop off the old namesapce from configuration manager.  We had around 100 users so it wasn't a huge effort.  If you have more than that then you might want to look into a automation tool.  MotioPI might be able to do this or you might be able to use the CMTools that come with Cognos.  Its been awhile since we converted but I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for posting.  One question...how do I copy the 'My Folder' content from Cognos 8 namespace to Cognos 10 namespace for a user?  From the Administration tab in Cognos 8, I can select a user and see their 'My Folder' content. From there, I can select all the content and click 'copy'.  However, since we are upgrading to Cognos 10, we are using a new development environment which is completey separate from our current prod. environment. I can't paste the 'My Folder' content from one server to the new Cognos 10 server for a specific user.  What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

• Scottyj
    Scottyj
    45 Posts

‏2014-02-03T16:28:54Z  
    • KSCognos
    • ‏2014-02-03T13:43:28Z

Thanks so much for posting.  One question...how do I copy the 'My Folder' content from Cognos 8 namespace to Cognos 10 namespace for a user?  From the Administration tab in Cognos 8, I can select a user and see their 'My Folder' content. From there, I can select all the content and click 'copy'.  However, since we are upgrading to Cognos 10, we are using a new development environment which is completey separate from our current prod. environment. I can't paste the 'My Folder' content from one server to the new Cognos 10 server for a specific user.  What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

Since you have both namespaces set up in configuration manager you'll be able to log in under both acccounts. Have one browser for Series7 and one for AD.  Then you can just go down through the users and copy the folder content from one window to the other.  That's how we did it. Once you have everything in the AD namespace and confirmed you can rerun configuration manager and delete the old namespace.  Good luck.

• KSCognos
    KSCognos
    4 Posts

‏2014-02-04T14:12:06Z  
    • Scottyj
    • ‏2014-02-03T16:28:54Z

Since you have both namespaces set up in configuration manager you'll be able to log in under both acccounts. Have one browser for Series7 and one for AD.  Then you can just go down through the users and copy the folder content from one window to the other.  That's how we did it. Once you have everything in the AD namespace and confirmed you can rerun configuration manager and delete the old namespace.  Good luck.

Thanks for your help. I haven't had any luck coping from one browser to the other. I believe this is due to the fact that the Cognos installs/versions are on completely separate servers/domains.

I'm going to try to move the My Folder contents for each user over to the Public folder directory, under  a new folder which will hold each users contents. Then, I will export this folder and import it into Cognos10. From there, I will move each user's My folder's content to their tab ( or get them to do it themselves). I will set up security to each users folder in the Public directory so that only the user and myself have access to the content.

What do you think?

• Scottyj
    Scottyj
    45 Posts

‏2014-02-04T16:52:41Z  
    • KSCognos
    • ‏2014-02-04T14:12:06Z

What do you think?

KS,

We brought over our content db so that our new environment had all the old content under the old namespace plus it had the namespaces.  In our case we only had one installation with both namespaces making it easy to copy between user folders using the method I described before. Don't understand how you have separate servers/domains since the content is stored in the content store db and that should be pointing at your new system.  Guess our setup was a lot simpler than what you have put together.

I don't know if I would go through all the work of setting up separate security in the public folder just to get everything copied over, just my opinion.

• KSCognos
    KSCognos
    4 Posts

‏2014-02-05T12:08:10Z  
    • Scottyj
    • ‏2014-02-04T16:52:41Z

KS,

Thank you for your advice. Perhaps I won't set up the separate security.  Will see how everything goes!