Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-01T13:32:15Z by Frank OKeefe
TJKing
TJKing
16 Posts

Pinned topic Type Mismatch Error with DoDAF Utility

‏2013-06-26T12:57:51Z |

I am trying to use the utility to Import ICOMS from IER Matrix per the instructions here: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rsysarch/v11/topic/com.ibm.sa.dodaf.doc/topics/t_Import_ICOM_Arrows_from_IER_Matrix.html

I am able to complete the "Before You Begin" steps to set up the OV-5 Activities, but when I get to step 6 of the actual procedure, I get an error saying

Type Mismatch Code: 13

I'm pretty sure this is a VBA error but I don't know how to fix it. Suggestions?  I have already tried: using a CSV versus an XLS file, deleting empty columns, opening the CSV file and checking for illegal characters... Has anyone else encountered this and overcome it?

Thanks,
TJ

Updated on 2013-06-26T12:58:04Z at 2013-06-26T12:58:04Z by TJKing
  • jvogel-11
    jvogel-11
    51 Posts

Re: Type Mismatch Error with DoDAF Utility

‏2013-07-03T18:57:41Z  

Is it possible that the IER file that is being imported is not in a correct format?  It is trying to import an IER object(s), but if it is not recognizing it as an IER object type, then it is recognizing it as something other - which would result in a type mismatch code.  The columns might not be correctly labeled in the import.   As you said, you checked for illegal characters, empty columns, etc - which is good.  I'd probably stick with the .CSV format, as I have seen things choke when attempting XLS.   With all the corrections, try importing one IER to see what happens. 

• TJKing
    TJKing
    16 Posts

‏2013-07-08T16:08:22Z  
    • jvogel-11
    • ‏2013-07-03T18:57:41Z

Is it possible that the IER file that is being imported is not in a correct format?  It is trying to import an IER object(s), but if it is not recognizing it as an IER object type, then it is recognizing it as something other - which would result in a type mismatch code.  The columns might not be correctly labeled in the import.   As you said, you checked for illegal characters, empty columns, etc - which is good.  I'd probably stick with the .CSV format, as I have seen things choke when attempting XLS.   With all the corrections, try importing one IER to see what happens. 

The IER matrix was created using the spreadsheet template that comes with System Architect. (The information about the template is here.) If the column names are not correct, I do not know how I would find out what the correct names are; everything is handled internally to the menu item when you select  Tools > DoDAF Utlities > Import ICOM Arrows from IER Matrix.  To make matters more interesting, the spreadsheet works just fine - no errors - for the other two IER menu options, "Import IER Matrix Definitions" and "Import OV-2 Diagram from IER Matrix." 

I even created a new blank spreadsheet from the template provided with System Architect, and pasted a single row to see if the "Import ICOM Arrows from IER Matrix" feature would work that way.  No such luck!

• jvogel-11
    jvogel-11
    51 Posts

‏2013-07-08T18:20:07Z  

TJ- what version of SA are you using?  I am not seeing the Tools/DoDAF Utilities option.  Is it possible to export IER definitions to see how it is formated in an export?  Another issue might come up if you improperly labled a needline, receiving node, sending node, or activity.  The IER brings many objects together to describe the exchange. An error might occure if any of the the names of those SA objects are misspelled or in error when importing. 

• TJKing
    TJKing
    16 Posts

‏2013-07-10T19:09:42Z  
    • jvogel-11
    • ‏2013-07-08T18:20:07Z

TJ- what version of SA are you using?  I am not seeing the Tools/DoDAF Utilities option.  Is it possible to export IER definitions to see how it is formated in an export?  Another issue might come up if you improperly labled a needline, receiving node, sending node, or activity.  The IER brings many objects together to describe the exchange. An error might occure if any of the the names of those SA objects are misspelled or in error when importing. 

We're running SA 11.4.2.3, with the "old fashioned" DoDAF property configuration (not DoDAF2). 

Do other columns need to be populated in addition to "Information Exchange", "Sending Activity" and "Receiving Activity" for the "Import ICOM Arrows from IER Matrix" feature to work?  That is not explicitly stated anywhere, and I haven't used this utility before so I have no prior experience with it. When I try (what I assume to be) the oppositve feature - Reports > DoDAF Reports > Operational Information Exchange Matrix (OV-3) - the spreadsheet is empty except for the header rows; presumably because the data isn't there; because I haven't successfully imported it yet! 

• TJKing
    TJKing
    16 Posts

‏2013-07-15T20:08:06Z  

In the interest of being able to say I had performed due diligence:

I used the "DoDAF Samples" encyclopedia to run the "Operational Information Exchange Matrix (OV-3)" report, carefully rearranged the columns then pasted the rows exactly into the template provided by IBM.  I still receive the type-mismatch error! At this point I guess I need to submit a ticket to IBM, unless there are other ideas?

Thanks!
    TJ

• TJKing
    TJKing
    16 Posts

‏2013-09-04T18:21:59Z  

Realized I never circled back to this convo.

I submitted a ticket to IBM, and this has been confirmed as a defect in the tool, with an APAR and everything.  Hopefully it will be fixed in a future release.

Cheers,
    TJ

• Frank OKeefe
    Frank OKeefe
    13 Posts

‏2013-10-01T13:32:15Z  
    • TJKing
    • ‏2013-09-04T18:21:59Z

Realized I never circled back to this convo.

I submitted a ticket to IBM, and this has been confirmed as a defect in the tool, with an APAR and everything.  Hopefully it will be fixed in a future release.

Cheers,
    TJ

This was reported as APAR PM94842.  It has been resolved in SA 11.4.2.5.

Please see the following Fixes for 11.4.2.5 where this APAR has been noted.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27027507

The following URL contains more details about the SA 11.4.2.5 release.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24035691

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Frank