Topic
  • 16 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-06-13T17:23:36Z by paulorcf
lesleyajohnson76
lesleyajohnson76
126 Posts

Pinned topic Barcode Scanners

‏2013-07-25T16:35:04Z |

Hi, Has anyone used barcode scanners for asset inventory? What is a good product (preferably not smartphones) to scan an asset in order to enter it into an SCCD change process workflow? If you've had good experience with a product, how was the implementation process? Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks so much!

• lesleyajohnson76
    lesleyajohnson76
    126 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Barcode Scanners

‏2013-10-24T19:03:09Z  

Thank you for everyone's input! We have found a barcode scanner and software that works and we will pre-print stickers, open a new asset, scan the sticker while the cursor is in the assetnum field and create away. Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions. 

• bgbaird
    bgbaird
    252 Posts

‏2013-07-25T16:43:09Z  

There are a lot of options that hae been developed with the Maximo Asset Management solution in mind.  A couple of places to start might be InterPro and DataSplice.

Brian

• lesleyajohnson76
    lesleyajohnson76
    126 Posts

‏2013-07-25T16:51:50Z  
    • bgbaird
    • ‏2013-07-25T16:43:09Z

There are a lot of options that hae been developed with the Maximo Asset Management solution in mind.  A couple of places to start might be InterPro and DataSplice.

Brian

Thank you!

• cindy313
    cindy313
    3 Posts

‏2013-07-26T01:47:54Z  

hey, though I do not know whether this barcode scanner library I've used one of them can help you,  you can have a try. Good luck !

• lesleyajohnson76
    lesleyajohnson76
    126 Posts

‏2013-07-29T17:34:01Z  
    • cindy313
    • ‏2013-07-26T01:47:54Z

hey, though I do not know whether this barcode scanner library I've used one of them can help you,  you can have a try. Good luck !

Thanks!

• swkim90049
    swkim90049
    287 Posts

‏2013-07-30T17:30:42Z  

What bits of information are you looking to capture?

Any specific objection to smartphones or things like iPod touches?

• lesleyajohnson76
    lesleyajohnson76
    126 Posts

‏2013-07-30T18:32:17Z  

What bits of information are you looking to capture?

Any specific objection to smartphones or things like iPod touches?

swkim90049,

I have yet to verify if smartphones or other mobile devices are prohibited. I am currently investigating the pros / cons of both traditional scanners and phones, etc. Customer is looking to scan a device out of an inventoried cage to apply work order to the device, conduct work, and then return it to the cage. Any suggestions or experience on the process?

Thanks for your reply

• swkim90049
    swkim90049
    287 Posts

‏2013-07-30T19:22:52Z  

swkim90049,

I have yet to verify if smartphones or other mobile devices are prohibited. I am currently investigating the pros / cons of both traditional scanners and phones, etc. Customer is looking to scan a device out of an inventoried cage to apply work order to the device, conduct work, and then return it to the cage. Any suggestions or experience on the process?

Thanks for your reply

If I understand your correctly, you want the ability to associated tools (some sort of asset) to a work order (perhaps by scanning the asset barcode and workorder barcode in some way), track the person who borrowed the tool, and also track when the tool is returned to the cage? You want to perform all this action from a handheld that each technician will carry?

Will you have an always live connection to Maximo such as a desktop at the cage? or even wireless/3G on the handheld? Or will the handheld operate offline and sync later to Maximo.

• lesleyajohnson76
    lesleyajohnson76
    126 Posts

‏2013-07-30T19:49:24Z  

If I understand your correctly, you want the ability to associated tools (some sort of asset) to a work order (perhaps by scanning the asset barcode and workorder barcode in some way), track the person who borrowed the tool, and also track when the tool is returned to the cage? You want to perform all this action from a handheld that each technician will carry?

Will you have an always live connection to Maximo such as a desktop at the cage? or even wireless/3G on the handheld? Or will the handheld operate offline and sync later to Maximo.

Yes, this is the process and these are indeed the types of questions that I must get familiar with and how to implement them. Thanks for helping to spur my brainstorming/research. 

• cindsew99
    cindsew99
    1 Post

‏2013-08-21T07:27:58Z  

Yes, this is the process and these are indeed the types of questions that I must get familiar with and how to implement them. Thanks for helping to spur my brainstorming/research. 

As for barcode scanners, I have something to share with you. Recently I am using a good barcode scanner in my work. It reads barcode very easily and quickly by just adding it into my program. Share it with you all. Here is the reading tutorial. You can find many other barcode scanners there. I hope this is a good source for you.

• lesleyajohnson76
    lesleyajohnson76
    126 Posts

‏2013-08-27T20:13:17Z  
    • cindsew99
    • ‏2013-08-21T07:27:58Z

As for barcode scanners, I have something to share with you. Recently I am using a good barcode scanner in my work. It reads barcode very easily and quickly by just adding it into my program. Share it with you all. Here is the reading tutorial. You can find many other barcode scanners there. I hope this is a good source for you.

Thanks for the advice, cindsew99. 

• cindy313
    cindy313
    3 Posts

‏2013-09-05T07:22:46Z  

actually, except the barcode scanner i mentioned last time, i also found they have the software about barcode scanner

so if necessary,you may have a look at this one.

• Lilyseven
    Lilyseven
    3 Posts

‏2013-09-12T02:22:06Z  

hello, there are many choices for us to make, we just need to find a suitable one. You need a good product (preferably not smartphones) to scan an asset in order to enter it into an SCCD change process workflow, so, why not try this barcode scanner? hope it helps.

• honai
    honai
    1 Post

‏2013-09-22T03:23:45Z  
    • cindy313
    • ‏2013-09-05T07:22:46Z

actually, except the barcode scanner i mentioned last time, i also found they have the software about barcode scanner

so if necessary,you may have a look at this one.

thanks for your suggestion, there are many barcode scanners avalible on the internet, i think many  imaing sdks contains such functions of barcode scanning and barcode generating , but i need scan qr code , is your suggeation capable of doing this?

Updated on 2013-09-22T03:26:07Z at 2013-09-22T03:26:07Z by honai
  • KINGkeller
    KINGkeller
    1 Post

‏2013-10-18T02:26:11Z  

Generally sepaking, if you use a image barcode reader add-on, the invertory can be sanned easily. For that, such barcode reader regards the invertory as a specific image format to decoding, the text or image information can be completely decoded. If you are still interested in the compliant barcode image generator, have a try, it will be very interesting.

• lesleyajohnson76
    lesleyajohnson76
    126 Posts

‏2013-10-24T19:03:09Z  

Thank you for everyone's input! We have found a barcode scanner and software that works and we will pre-print stickers, open a new asset, scan the sticker while the cursor is in the assetnum field and create away. Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions. 

• paulorcf
    paulorcf
    1 Post

‏2014-06-13T17:23:36Z  

Hi lesleyajohnson76,

Can you share with us what was the scanner and software you are using and if you are happy with them?

Thank you,

Paulo