Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-05-14T20:48:38Z by outlaw
mgphl52
mgphl52
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic AIX COBOL sub-program compile options

‏2013-05-07T18:18:55Z |

How can I get cob2 to not generate an entry point for ".main" when compiling a sub-program?

TIA!

-michael

• outlaw
    outlaw
    35 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: AIX COBOL sub-program compile options

‏2013-05-07T22:20:14Z  in response to mgphl52

`man cob2', see the -cmain and -main options.

A description of what you are attempting to accomplish might get you a more refined answer.

If you are statically binding multiple, separate compilations, or say, using dynamic calls to access subroutines, will change how you need to compile/link

• mgphl52
      mgphl52
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-10T17:29:54Z  in response to outlaw

We have a mixture of processing where most all batch compiles are done as DYNAM, but the CICS must be NODYNAM.

Output from the link is reporting duplicates for the ".main" entry point in all of the archived subprograms. Is this normal?

• outlaw
        outlaw
        35 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-10T20:02:41Z  in response to mgphl52

Yes, NODYNAM (the default) is required if EXEC CICS or EXEC SQL are used - however, dynamically bound calls are still supported via CALL <identifier>

I, personally, do not recommend ever using DYNAM:

1) It hurts performance (slightly to significantly) by turning what could've been a statically bound call to a dynamically bound call

2) I prefer being explicit and use CALL <identifier> when I need to make a dynamically bound call

I realize there are valid use cases for DYNAM, but it seems to be mostly used improperly - or, at least, sub-optimally

If you separately compile a bunch of routines and plonk them in an archive to use with a static link, then yeah, duplicate "main" entry points are going to happen, and you have to be careful which one is listed first (it will be the one, true, main) on the link step.

"main" is part of Posix and C standards, and every program that is compatible with C will have a main(), which is called by the C library _start() routine after the module is loaded and execution starts.  This, coupled with the COBOL definition of "main program" and "sub program" being related strictly to the outermost COBOL program is what causes this confusing message.

• mgphl52
          mgphl52
          3 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-13T12:04:48Z  in response to outlaw

Thank you, "outlaw"

The real answer then is "no," just accept the run of duplicate ".main" entries in the link output listing.

BTW, I have been campaigning for all statically linked except where dynamic is required for some time. Excessive run-times may help me with this argument..

• outlaw
            outlaw
            35 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-14T20:48:38Z  in response to mgphl52

Note that you can, and you seem to already be, putting routines in an archive (shared library) and statically linking to that - which gives you the best of both worlds:
            1) Static linking to the shared library removes the dynamic call overhead

2) The archive (shared library) can be chmod o+rx and cached by AIX (man genkld and slibclean), giving you much, if not all of the gains of dynamic linkage.