Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-06-20T17:11:34Z by UIC_hoy
JirongHu
JirongHu
687 Posts

Pinned topic enable Delivery changes from the foundation in addition to changes from the stream

‏2013-08-28T19:18:44Z |

I am getting error like this during an inter-project deliver. I think it's due to some early deliver by composite baselines instead of just modifiable component.

This deliver operation contains changes to component "JAWC_wkspc" that were not created by source stream "JAWC_R3". The source stream acquired these changes from its foundation baseline "JAWC_7_16_2013_R2_0715.1497", which is the baseline currently selected by the stream.

ClearCase CM Server: Error: The target stream "JAWC_R3.1" or its project

"JAWC" does not allow intraproject deliver operations that contain changes from its foundation baselines.

ClearCase CM Server: Error: Check the policy setting on the target project and the target stream."

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21129904

The above IBM tech-notes tells to change the policy, which I am not very comfortable with. If everything was done properly, I don't need to enable this policy.

What's the consequence of enable this policy? Is there any other way to fix this? At this moment, both stream's foundation is the same composite baseline.

Thanks

Jirong

• Dave-Robinson
    Dave-Robinson
    116 Posts

Re: enable Delivery changes from the foundation in addition to changes from the stream

‏2013-08-30T01:19:49Z  

Actually I think you are doing a non-default delivery within project "JAWC" rather than an inter-project deliver.

What this is saying, in more detail, is

"If we look in the source stream "JAWC_R3" and how it has changed since it was created, some of those changes were achieved by rebase.  If you now deliver the baseline from stream "JAWC_R3" the same change sets that were integrated to stream "JAWC_R3" by rebase - possibly without any actual merges - would get integrated into target stream "JAWC_R3.1".

Consequence of the policy is that the deliver would proceed, and the change set of the deliver activity may contain versions that are merged from versions NOT on the JAWC_R3 branch.

For this particular case, where streams JAWC_R3 and JAWC_R3.1  probably have a common parent stream JAWC_Int, the expected way to get changes from JAWC_R3 to JAWC_R3.1 would be

1. deliver from JAWC_R3 to JAWC_Int

2. make a baseline in JAWC_Int

3. rebase JAWC_3.1 onto this new baseline

It does seem a bit strange that you get this message when both source and target streams have the same foundation, but maybe "the devil is in the detail" which would be beyond this forum.

• JirongHu
    JirongHu
    687 Posts

Re: enable Delivery changes from the foundation in addition to changes from the stream

‏2013-08-30T02:10:49Z  

Actually I think you are doing a non-default delivery within project "JAWC" rather than an inter-project deliver.

"If we look in the source stream "JAWC_R3" and how it has changed since it was created, some of those changes were achieved by rebase.  If you now deliver the baseline from stream "JAWC_R3" the same change sets that were integrated to stream "JAWC_R3" by rebase - possibly without any actual merges - would get integrated into target stream "JAWC_R3.1".

Consequence of the policy is that the deliver would proceed, and the change set of the deliver activity may contain versions that are merged from versions NOT on the JAWC_R3 branch.

For this particular case, where streams JAWC_R3 and JAWC_R3.1  probably have a common parent stream JAWC_Int, the expected way to get changes from JAWC_R3 to JAWC_R3.1 would be

It does seem a bit strange that you get this message when both source and target streams have the same foundation, but maybe "the devil is in the detail" which would be beyond this forum.

Hi Dave

You are completely right. It's intra-project non-default delivery between sibling streams, and both were created off a JAWC_Main stream. Normally such a inter-stream delivery should work if they have a common ancestor as the foundation. I guess it's screwed in the past somehow.

Deliver through the JAWC_Main will work, it's just don't want to do this all the time.

Thanks again!

Jirong

• UIC_hoy
    UIC_hoy
    4 Posts

‏2014-06-19T20:53:30Z  

Dave-Robinson,         (Since you provided the answer previously I assume you are with Rational.)

I have pretty much the same message ... but I am performing a Project to Project delivery. ... that is, and Integration stream to Integration stream delivery ... via Project Explorer, selecting the integration stream of the "source" project and right-click menu ... "Deliver Baselines... | To Alternate Target...".

The message is ...

This deliver operation contains changes to component "Sim2" that were not created by source stream "FZN2.1.0.x2_Int". The source stream acquired these changes from its foundation baseline "FZN2.1.0.x_1402118824.5207", which is the baseline currently selected by the stream. The target stream "FZN2.1.0.x_Int" or its project "FZN2.1.0.x" does not allow interproject deliver operatons that contain changes from its foundation baselines. Check the policy setting on the target project and the target steam.

The target project (FZN2.1.0.x) and integration stream (FZN2.1.0.x_int) policies, Deliver tabs, "For deliveries from streams outside of this project" sections, "Deliver changes from the foundation in addition to changes from the stream" items ... are "disabled".     As they have always been before I was ever involved with ClearCase/Quest administration (note: UCM in use).  These "deliver-back" operations have been done without this issue, ... in the past occasionally, ... and more regularly over the past year or so.

I could change the policy to enabled, perform the delivery, and then change it back to disable (I assume there the previous administrator had a reason for having it disabled), however I'm not sure if there will be any ramifications later with further processing?    Also, I'd like to know why this is happening now?  ... how to trace to the source of this issue? ... and possibly how to correct and deliver without the need of changing the policy setting.

Thanks in advanced for any help anyone can provide.

• Dave-Robinson
    Dave-Robinson
    116 Posts

‏2014-06-20T02:06:14Z  
    • UIC_hoy
    • ‏2014-06-19T20:53:30Z

Dave-Robinson,         (Since you provided the answer previously I assume you are with Rational.)

I have pretty much the same message ... but I am performing a Project to Project delivery. ... that is, and Integration stream to Integration stream delivery ... via Project Explorer, selecting the integration stream of the "source" project and right-click menu ... "Deliver Baselines... | To Alternate Target...".

The message is ...

This deliver operation contains changes to component "Sim2" that were not created by source stream "FZN2.1.0.x2_Int". The source stream acquired these changes from its foundation baseline "FZN2.1.0.x_1402118824.5207", which is the baseline currently selected by the stream. The target stream "FZN2.1.0.x_Int" or its project "FZN2.1.0.x" does not allow interproject deliver operatons that contain changes from its foundation baselines. Check the policy setting on the target project and the target steam.

The target project (FZN2.1.0.x) and integration stream (FZN2.1.0.x_int) policies, Deliver tabs, "For deliveries from streams outside of this project" sections, "Deliver changes from the foundation in addition to changes from the stream" items ... are "disabled".     As they have always been before I was ever involved with ClearCase/Quest administration (note: UCM in use).  These "deliver-back" operations have been done without this issue, ... in the past occasionally, ... and more regularly over the past year or so.

I could change the policy to enabled, perform the delivery, and then change it back to disable (I assume there the previous administrator had a reason for having it disabled), however I'm not sure if there will be any ramifications later with further processing?    Also, I'd like to know why this is happening now?  ... how to trace to the source of this issue? ... and possibly how to correct and deliver without the need of changing the policy setting.

Thanks in advanced for any help anyone can provide.

It looks like you have a baseline naming template starting with the stream name (and possibly a date/time stamp) which would imply that the foundation of  "FZN2.1.0.x2_Int"  was actually created in "FZN2.1.0.x_Int", which is where you are delivering to,

so it does seem strange that the delivery is "delivering changes" from this baseline.

I wonder whether setting "FZN2.1.0.x_Int"  as the default delivery stream for  "FZN2.1.0.x2_Int",  and delivering "to default" behaves any differently.

Analyzing it is beyond the sope of the forum, but we can do that in a PMR.

A "deliver -preview -long" would be a useful starting point.

• UIC_hoy
    UIC_hoy
    4 Posts

‏2014-06-20T12:24:21Z  

It looks like you have a baseline naming template starting with the stream name (and possibly a date/time stamp) which would imply that the foundation of  "FZN2.1.0.x2_Int"  was actually created in "FZN2.1.0.x_Int", which is where you are delivering to,

so it does seem strange that the delivery is "delivering changes" from this baseline.

I wonder whether setting "FZN2.1.0.x_Int"  as the default delivery stream for  "FZN2.1.0.x2_Int",  and delivering "to default" behaves any differently.

First, thanks for the response.

Second, Yes you are correct about the baseline naming template ... "ProjectName_DateTimeStamp" with the .5207 implying the (heavy) use of Composite  Baselines (CBl's).    (We have a "top-level CBl"  ...  _tcbl that contains components and subsystem CBls)

The Sim2 component's Foundation BL in the Source stream (FZN2.1.0.x2_int) was created from the FZN2.1.0.x, ... as the "x2" project was seeded from the "x" project. (See attached file)  This "x" & "x2" situation was a special case to recover from a problem and cover a release that had a deadline that had to happen.  However, the process is used here extensively to support many older versions of the software that is installed on the circuit board manufacturing machines that we make and ship around the world.  

We have "upstream" projects that can have changes that rebase downstream into FZN2.1.0.x and then into FZN2.1.0.x2.   And there are changes that can be done in FZN2.1.0.x2. as well.  The FZN2.1.0* is a subbranch that, when appropriate, is delivered back to a "MainSeq2.1" project to allow those fixes/enhancements to flow downstream to MainSeq2.2 ... MainSeq3.0 ... etc.

So that's why we are doing these "rebase changes in ... delivery changes back" mechanism.

>> "so it does seem strange that the delivery is "delivering changes" from this baseline."

Well we have made changes in "x2" ... but that's what has happened throughout the last year utilizing this method of project management.

>> "I wonder whether setting "FZN2.1.0.x_Int"  as the default delivery stream for  "FZN2.1.0.x2_Int",  and delivering "to default" behaves any differently."

I could try this ...

>> " ... PMR"  ... sometimes they are painful to get started ... bringing the person up to speed on the entire situation as they are pressed to address all the other customer's PMRs.    But I'm not against do that ... I might have to ... anyway to have your name on that?

>> "deliver -preview -long"  ... I use the UI fairly extensively ... I'll have to investigate the command line details.

Thanks very much.

• UIC_hoy
    UIC_hoy
    4 Posts

‏2014-06-20T13:44:09Z  

In Project Explorer, FZN2.1.0.x2_Int, Properties, General tab, "Deliver to:", "Change >>" ... to FZN2.1.0.x_Int.  (View | Refresh)

Then attempted to select FZN2.1.0.x2_Int, "Deliver from Stream | To Default..." ... but the selection was still grayed out.

I thought that was all that was necessary, am I missing something else?

• Dave-Robinson
    Dave-Robinson
    116 Posts

‏2014-06-20T13:57:43Z  
    • UIC_hoy
    • ‏2014-06-20T13:44:09Z

In Project Explorer, FZN2.1.0.x2_Int, Properties, General tab, "Deliver to:", "Change >>" ... to FZN2.1.0.x_Int.  (View | Refresh)

Then attempted to select FZN2.1.0.x2_Int, "Deliver from Stream | To Default..." ... but the selection was still grayed out.

I thought that was all that was necessary, am I missing something else?

Deliver Baselines | To Default

• UIC_hoy
    UIC_hoy
    4 Posts

‏2014-06-20T17:11:34Z  

Deliver Baselines | To Default

Tried "Deliver Baselines | To Default" ... same thing.

I attached the Messages screen shots ...