• Latest Post - ‏2014-05-29T20:35:07Z by BrunoMelo
BrunoMelo
BrunoMelo
2 Posts

Pinned topic SVC to SVC Migration

‏2014-05-20T16:49:29Z |
Hi all,

I am facing the following scenario:
A costumer just bought two SVC Clusters and wants to shutdown his old SVC. He wants to migrate his older SVC to one of his brand new SVCs and then replicate the data to the other new SVC on the backup site. The replication is not a concern.
My questions are:
What are the concerns and the best practice when migrating one SVC to another?

Updated on 2014-05-20T16:49:47Z at 2014-05-20T16:49:47Z by BrunoMelo
  • AndersLorensen
    AndersLorensen
    156 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: SVC to SVC Migration

‏2014-05-25T07:01:51Z  

Normally when you move to a new SVC, you just add the new IO Nodes to the SVC cluster as new IO Groups. Then migrate volumes to the new IO Group and remove the old IO Groups.

If you already have 4 IO Groups on the old SVC Cluster, its a bigger issue of course. In that case you have to move the volumes with image mode migrations. In that case you really need to give us some more details to Work with.

/Anders

• chriscanto
    chriscanto
    292 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-05-25T21:49:57Z  

I'd suggest you could use the node replacement procedure to non-disruptively exchange each of the old nodes in the existing cluster for the new node hardware.  The only caveat with this approach is that you will need to upgrade the existing cluster to the minimum software version supported by the node nodes, but as you'll need to be on that code level anyway then I don't see that being a problem.

This way your existing cluster lives on as-is,  just running on the new node hardware.  No host migrations etc to worry about.

• AndersLorensen
    AndersLorensen
    156 Posts

‏2014-05-25T07:01:51Z  

Normally when you move to a new SVC, you just add the new IO Nodes to the SVC cluster as new IO Groups. Then migrate volumes to the new IO Group and remove the old IO Groups.

If you already have 4 IO Groups on the old SVC Cluster, its a bigger issue of course. In that case you have to move the volumes with image mode migrations. In that case you really need to give us some more details to Work with.

/Anders

• chriscanto
    chriscanto
    292 Posts

‏2014-05-25T21:49:57Z  

I'd suggest you could use the node replacement procedure to non-disruptively exchange each of the old nodes in the existing cluster for the new node hardware.  The only caveat with this approach is that you will need to upgrade the existing cluster to the minimum software version supported by the node nodes, but as you'll need to be on that code level anyway then I don't see that being a problem.

This way your existing cluster lives on as-is,  just running on the new node hardware.  No host migrations etc to worry about.

• BrunoMelo
    BrunoMelo
    2 Posts

‏2014-05-29T20:35:07Z  

Thank you AndersLorensen and chriscanto,

both answers were very helpful.
    I decided to present three options to our customer:

- Install a brand new cluster and use replication to migrate the volumes;

- Include the new nodes on the old cluster adding a new IO Group and then migrate the volumes;

- Use the node replacement procedure to substitute the old nodes by the new ones.

Now the customer is analising the risks and efforts involved on each procedure.
    Again, thanks for the help!