Topic
  • No replies
ahkielstra
ahkielstra
21 Posts

Pinned topic Would A Tool Checking That Callers And Callees Agree On Arguments Be Useful

‏2014-04-14T15:56:30Z |

This question is inspired by the prototype feature of the 2002 standard.  Since not all compilers offer that feature and, even using compilers that do, source changes are necessary to exploit it, I was wondering what COBOL users would think of a tool that statically checks that callers and callees use consistent parameters.  Such a tool might, for example, detect that the number of arguments passed does not match the expected number of arguments or that the sizes don't match.

Would folks be inclined to use such a tool?

• TerryWin
    TerryWin
    5 Posts

Re: Would A Tool Checking That Callers And Callees Agree On Arguments Be Useful

‏2014-04-22T15:35:01Z  

This sounds like a useful utility but depending on the platform it may have a limited use.  For example, on the iSeries boxes it would also need to be cross-language capable so that calls to CLE, CLLE and RPGLE could also be validated.

But maybe I'm way off base here since most of the forum posts are from the mainframe community ;-)

• 7WWV_Michael_Simpson
    3 Posts

Re: Would A Tool Checking That Callers And Callees Agree On Arguments Be Useful

‏2015-01-04T16:22:38Z  

Not where I work. We have old programs that are/were always called with a specific first copybook. Now we allow them to be called with or without this first copybook, so your utility wouldn't be of any use.

Updated on 2015-01-04T16:22:59Z at 2015-01-04T16:22:59Z by 7WWV_Michael_Simpson