6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-09-06T20:18:49Z by DiLi
wilmar.perez
wilmar.perez
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Biginsights Installation on CentOS 6.4 hungs

‏2013-09-04T21:05:55Z |

Hello

I am trying to install Biginsights 2.1 on CentOS 6.4 x64. I haven't really gotten too far. On running start.sh I just get the following error:

cannot open [...]/installer-console/var/log/server.out for reading: No such file or directory

When I check, in fact the file is not there so I just create an empty one with /touch server.out/

After that I only get dots on the console and nothing happens. The wanted server.out just stays empty. When I cancel the script out, it just renames the file to the date/time and that is it. I haven't been able to find any meaningful log. I have tried running the script as the biadmin user and as the root user with the same results. I already tried downloading my CentOS and BigInsights sources just in case and reinstalling it from the scratch but the result is the same.

I am attaching a screenshot.

Any idea is welcome.

Thank you

Attachments

• DiLi
    DiLi
    69 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Biginsights Installation on CentOS 6.4 hungs

‏2013-09-04T21:18:38Z  in response to wilmar.perez

Hello,

The endless dots is caused by the empty server.out.  The web server may not populate the server.out with log if you manually create the .out file after running the ./start.sh script.

Verify the installer-console/var/log directory has the proper file permissions for the user that you use to run the ./start.sh script. Also, when you "cancel" the ./start.sh script, verify the start.sh script is killed, if not, kill its process, and remove server.out.

rerun ./start.sh as the root user and see if this fixes the issue.

• wilmar.perez
      wilmar.perez
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-05T13:58:50Z  in response to DiLi

Hi DiLi

Thanks for your reply. I already had tried your approach but did it again just in case. Same results. I may be missing something but can't figure out what it is.

Thanks again

• DiLi
        DiLi
        69 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-06T15:46:50Z  in response to wilmar.perez

Hello,

Could you verify the port 8300 is used by the BI installer after you run the ./start.sh script?

Also, you may try to run installer-console/bin/startup.sh and see if the installer's application server can start in your Linux. Make sure the installer-console/var/log folder has the proper file permission for the Linux user that you use to run the installer-console/bin/startup.sh  script.

• wilmar.perez
          wilmar.perez
          4 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-06T19:52:41Z  in response to DiLi

Hi DiLi

Thank you r for the suggestions. Some comments below:

1. Port 8300 is available
          2. I don't think start.sh get to the point where it uses that port
          3. I am running the install with user biadmin, it does have the right permissions
          4. Your idea of running /startup.sh was interesting, it at least gave me a different error regarding my Java Install. It says: "Java Environment is not correctly install" which may very well be my issue but I have checked my Java and reinstalled it with just in case reviewing the environment variables and everything seems ok.

All of the above is in the attached picture. Again, any idea is welcome

Thank you!

Attachments

• wilmar.perez
          wilmar.perez
          4 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-06T19:56:22Z  in response to DiLi

Hi DiLi

Thank you r for the suggestions. Some comments below:

1. Port 8300 is available
          2. I don't think start.sh get to the point where it uses that port
          3. I am running the install with user biadmin, it does have the right permissions
          4. Your idea of running /startup.sh was interesting, it at least gave me a different error regarding my Java Install. It says: "Java Environment is not correctly install" which may very well be my issue but I have checked my Java and reinstalled it with just in case reviewing the environment variables and everything seems ok.

All of the above is in the attached picture. Again, any idea is welcome

Thank you!

Attachments

• DiLi
            DiLi
            69 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-06T20:18:49Z  in response to wilmar.perez

Could you use java included in the BI Installer? You can keep your own java installed (which I notice is Oracle).

The ./start.sh provided by the BI installer should have automatically use the IBM JDK shipped with it. The JDK tgz file is in the "artifacts" folder. If you look at the content of ./start.sh, it attempts to determin which IBM JDK to use, then unpack it, update some wasce conf file, export Java home then run the app server.

I suggest take a look at ./start.sh file, and see if that script can actually set up the java properly for the app server.