Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2016-06-15T13:03:14Z by JonathanPechtaIBM
QRadarconsultant
QRadarconsultant
2 Posts

Pinned topic Wincollect 7.2.3 standalone error 1920

‏2016-06-11T01:25:41Z |

Hi all, i am having trouble updating a wincollect standalone server i have, when i run the installer in administrator just as it gets to the service start part, it just stays there for a few minutes and then give me an error 1920 unsufficient priviliges to run service. Yet i am running the admin account when doing this and it just wont let me.

Even when i try too run the service manualy it wont let me.

Has anyone come across thus when updating from 7.2.2 to 7.2.3 in wincollect.

Regards,

Jose

• JonathanPechtaIBM
    JonathanPechtaIBM
    302 Posts

Re: Wincollect 7.2.3 standalone error 1920

‏2016-06-13T13:12:12Z  

Jose,

A few questions:

1. Are you using the WinCollect Stand-alone Patch Installer to update your WinCollect agent?
    2. What Windows Operating System are you using? We typically only see this type of issue on older operating systems, such as Windows 2003.
    3. Do you have the Services window (services.msc) open when you are attempting the install? Sometimes, if the Services window is open it can interfere with service stop and start commands.

I would re-download the WinCollect Stand-alone Patch Installer, open a command-prompt as administrator, close the services window, and run one of the following silent install options:

1. Full install. To upgrade the WinCollect agent to 7.2.3 and installs the latest WinCollect Configuration Console interface, type: WinCollect_Standalone_Patch_Installer_Setup-7_2_3_20160204150323.exe /s /v" /qn"
    2. To upgrade the WinCollect agent to 7.2.3 only and skip the WinCollect Configuration Console interface install, type:
      WinCollect_Standalone_Patch_Installer_Setup-7_2_3_20160204150323.exe /s /v" /qn ADDLOCAL=WinCollect_StandAlone_Patch"

Let us know if this helps and answering the questions above can assist with understanding the issue in more detail.

• QRadarconsultant
    QRadarconsultant
    2 Posts

‏2016-06-13T13:28:07Z  

Jose,

A few questions:

1. Are you using the WinCollect Stand-alone Patch Installer to update your WinCollect agent?
    2. What Windows Operating System are you using? We typically only see this type of issue on older operating systems, such as Windows 2003.
    3. Do you have the Services window (services.msc) open when you are attempting the install? Sometimes, if the Services window is open it can interfere with service stop and start commands.

I would re-download the WinCollect Stand-alone Patch Installer, open a command-prompt as administrator, close the services window, and run one of the following silent install options:

1. Full install. To upgrade the WinCollect agent to 7.2.3 and installs the latest WinCollect Configuration Console interface, type: WinCollect_Standalone_Patch_Installer_Setup-7_2_3_20160204150323.exe /s /v" /qn"
    2. To upgrade the WinCollect agent to 7.2.3 only and skip the WinCollect Configuration Console interface install, type:
      WinCollect_Standalone_Patch_Installer_Setup-7_2_3_20160204150323.exe /s /v" /qn ADDLOCAL=WinCollect_StandAlone_Patch"

Let us know if this helps and answering the questions above can assist with understanding the issue in more detail.

Hi Jonathan,

1. i used both, the agent and the patch to update everything,

2. i am using windows server 2012

3. i do open the task manager then switch to the service tab to see when the service stops and starts.

also, on the second part number 2, you say to update the agent and skip the console. what can happen is i do this only??

thanks

• JonathanPechtaIBM
    JonathanPechtaIBM
    302 Posts

‏2016-06-15T13:03:14Z  

Hi Jonathan,

1. i used both, the agent and the patch to update everything,

2. i am using windows server 2012

3. i do open the task manager then switch to the service tab to see when the service stops and starts.

also, on the second part number 2, you say to update the agent and skip the console. what can happen is i do this only??

thanks

For stand-alone agents, you must use the WinCollect Stand-alone Patch Installer to update WinCollect that are disconnected (stand-alone) from the Console. Since stand-alone agents do not communicate over port 8413, you need to download the Stand-alone Patch Installer to update the agent to version 7.2.3.

This stand-alone patch installer provides two features:

1. It can update a Stand-alone WinCollect agent to the latest version (software update for WinCollect to go to v7.2.3)
    2. It can also install the WinCollect Configuration Console (A Windows-based log source user interface).

NOTE: .NET 3.5 is a requirement for the Windows-based log source user interface. For more information, see: http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21701063

Of these two installation options, I didn't know which one you would use, so I provided both CLI installation commands. In most cases, you should install both as without the WinCollect Configuration Console, there is no way to edit a log source or change it's configuration options without editing raw XML files.

If I were you, this is what I would do

1. Download the WinCollect Stand-alone Patch Installer.
    2. If open, close the Services window and the Windows Task Manager.
    3. Select one of the following install options:
    • Right-click on the WinCollect_Standalone_Patch_Installer_Setup-7_2_3_20160204150323.exe and select Run as Administrator to use the Wizard installer.
      OR
    • To complete the install using the command-line, open a command-prompt as an administrator and type the following command: WinCollect_Standalone_Patch_Installer_Setup-7_2_3_20160204150323.exe /s /v" /qn"
    1. Verify the installation completes without an error.