Topic
  • 15 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-09T18:56:09Z by tallurisri
dp_xb_user
dp_xb_user
23 Posts

Pinned topic Probe is not responding

‏2013-10-04T13:40:11Z |

The Probes have stopped working for all the services in all domains. A new MPGW service was created with the probe enabled but no transactions could be viewed. Transactions are taking place as can be seen from the logs.

• HermannSW
    HermannSW
    6065 Posts

Re: Probe is not responding

‏2013-10-04T15:04:13Z  

Which is your firmware level?

Is it possible to reboot the appliance ?-- then Probe should work again.

In case you then get Probe not working anymore, remember what you did and created a PMR.

Hermann<myXsltBlog/> <myXsltTweets/> <myCE/>

• dp_xb_user
    dp_xb_user
    23 Posts

‏2013-10-04T15:22:00Z  
    • HermannSW
    • ‏2013-10-04T15:04:13Z

Which is your firmware level?

Is it possible to reboot the appliance ?-- then Probe should work again.

In case you then get Probe not working anymore, remember what you did and created a PMR.

Firmware:XB62.5.0.0.8

I have restarted my domain but it did not work out. I am keeping appliance restart as the last option.

One thing I observed is that the transactions are showing up if i change the probe settings to unbounded and not if i go back to old settings even with setting the transaction history count to 250.

• HermannSW
    HermannSW
    6065 Posts

‏2013-10-04T15:33:27Z  

Firmware:XB62.5.0.0.8

I have restarted my domain but it did not work out. I am keeping appliance restart as the last option.

One thing I observed is that the transactions are showing up if i change the probe settings to unbounded and not if i go back to old settings even with setting the transaction history count to 250.

> One thing I observed is that the transactions are showing up if i change the probe settings to unbounded ...
    >

First I thought that you killed one of the Probe components (for storing captured data).

But seeing captures with unbounded shows that is not the case.

By default only 3 concurrent transactions get captured.

Do you run the box with Probe under load?

(unbounded just allows to capture more concurrent transaction data, at the price of more memory and CPU usage).

• dp_xb_user
    dp_xb_user
    23 Posts

‏2013-10-04T16:04:38Z  
    • HermannSW
    • ‏2013-10-04T15:33:27Z

> One thing I observed is that the transactions are showing up if i change the probe settings to unbounded ...
    >

First I thought that you killed one of the Probe components (for storing captured data).

But seeing captures with unbounded shows that is not the case.

By default only 3 concurrent transactions get captured.

Do you run the box with Probe under load?

(unbounded just allows to capture more concurrent transaction data, at the price of more memory and CPU usage).

I did not get what you meant by saying 'under load'. I run the box with the probe enabled and a transaction history count set to 100. I stopped from getting the transactions being shown up in probe today.

I would like to state what happened before I got the last transaction in my probe with the above mentioned settings.

I had added two On Error action in my Error rule itself with Error Mode to Continue because I was getting an HTTP Error 404 from backend which was causing parse error and I wanted my custom error rule to complete and send my custom message back to the client.

I had set my response type to Non-XML as there is a need to do that and as a result of which I have to now deal with HTTP responses like 500 or 404.  My service works on SOAP messages.

• HermannSW
    HermannSW
    6065 Posts

‏2013-10-04T17:17:25Z  

I did not get what you meant by saying 'under load'. I run the box with the probe enabled and a transaction history count set to 100. I stopped from getting the transactions being shown up in probe today.

I would like to state what happened before I got the last transaction in my probe with the above mentioned settings.

I had added two On Error action in my Error rule itself with Error Mode to Continue because I was getting an HTTP Error 404 from backend which was causing parse error and I wanted my custom error rule to complete and send my custom message back to the client.

I had set my response type to Non-XML as there is a need to do that and as a result of which I have to now deal with HTTP responses like 500 or 404.  My service works on SOAP messages.

Waht confuses me is that unbounded works.

Do you send a single request against the service and do not see it in Probe?

If so, changing to unbounded and again sending a single request makes it show up in Probe?

• tallurisri
    tallurisri
    105 Posts

‏2013-10-04T17:55:28Z  

Hi DP_XB_USER/Hermann,

We also seeing same issue in one of our XI52 v5.0.0.5 Datapower appliance, we tried domain restart option but that don't work. Can you please let me what settings I need to changes to make it probe"unbounded". I would like to try this before we go for appliance reboot.

Thanks,

Sri. 

• HermannSW
    HermannSW
    6065 Posts

‏2013-10-04T21:09:10Z  

Hi DP_XB_USER/Hermann,

We also seeing same issue in one of our XI52 v5.0.0.5 Datapower appliance, we tried domain restart option but that don't work. Can you please let me what settings I need to changes to make it probe"unbounded". I would like to try this before we go for appliance reboot.

Thanks,

Sri. 

Hi,

in WebGUI "Objects->Service Configuration->Multi-Protocol Gateway", "Probe Settings" tab, allows to select "Off/On/Unbounded".

• koganti
    koganti
    31 Posts

‏2013-10-05T14:45:17Z  
    • HermannSW
    • ‏2013-10-04T21:09:10Z

Hi,

in WebGUI "Objects->Service Configuration->Multi-Protocol Gateway", "Probe Settings" tab, allows to select "Off/On/Unbounded".

got solution for xml fire wall but not for web application firewall can you please help me to catch probe in web application firewall

• HermannSW
    HermannSW
    6065 Posts

‏2013-10-07T07:04:48Z  
    • koganti
    • ‏2013-10-05T14:45:17Z

got solution for xml fire wall but not for web application firewall can you please help me to catch probe in web application firewall

Can you please paste the log messages at information level for a transaction when accessing the WAF here?

• dp_xb_user
    dp_xb_user
    23 Posts

‏2013-10-07T09:23:52Z  
    • HermannSW
    • ‏2013-10-04T17:17:25Z

Waht confuses me is that unbounded works.

Do you send a single request against the service and do not see it in Probe?

If so, changing to unbounded and again sending a single request makes it show up in Probe?

Yes I send a single request and do not see it in the probe.

Changing to Unbounded and thereafter sending a single request shows up in the Probe.

• HermannSW
    HermannSW
    6065 Posts

‏2013-10-07T11:36:09Z  

Yes I send a single request and do not see it in the probe.

Changing to Unbounded and thereafter sending a single request shows up in the Probe.

Please create a PMR.

Then Level2 support will get the necessary data (config, request) for recreation from you.

• koganti
    koganti
    31 Posts

‏2013-10-07T11:51:53Z  
    • HermannSW
    • ‏2013-10-07T07:04:48Z

Can you please paste the log messages at information level for a transaction when accessing the WAF here?

Hi Herman,

please do find log for the same and help me

Thanks in advance

saradhik

Attachments

• tallurisri
    tallurisri
    105 Posts

‏2013-10-08T22:52:49Z  
    • HermannSW
    • ‏2013-10-04T21:09:10Z

Hi,

Thanks Hermann, I tried that but problem not resolved with Unbounded option.

Thanks,

Sri.

• HermannSW
    HermannSW
    6065 Posts

‏2013-10-08T22:59:31Z  

Thanks Hermann, I tried that but problem not resolved with Unbounded option.

Thanks,

Sri.

Only option to get probe working again is a scheduled firmware reload then.

After reload check that Probe is working for a small test service (eg. loopback XML FW with just match and results action).

Then look at the Probe of the service you are interested in.
    If that does not work (after restart), please create a PMR.

• tallurisri
    tallurisri
    105 Posts

‏2013-10-09T18:56:09Z  
    • HermannSW
    • ‏2013-10-08T22:59:31Z

Only option to get probe working again is a scheduled firmware reload then.

After reload check that Probe is working for a small test service (eg. loopback XML FW with just match and results action).

Then look at the Probe of the service you are interested in.
    If that does not work (after restart), please create a PMR.

Thanks Hermann,

Actually  we have a plan to upgrade Production DataPower to v6 next week, I hope restart during upgrade will fix this issue.

Thanks,

Sri.