Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-04-13T14:24:49Z by krishnach
kalyankanu
kalyankanu
4 Posts

Pinned topic Can we insert data through cognos to db table

‏2013-09-27T16:36:07Z |

Hi all, we have some issue, I have some static tables, Can we insert data through cognos to oracle db? these tables would require to use for prompt selection...

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

• OpherB
    OpherB
    664 Posts

Re: Can we insert data through cognos to db table

‏2013-09-27T18:56:57Z  

Cognos BI software is intended to be used for reporting, not data entry or update. Rather than trying to use a tool for something it was not designed, I suggest you use a tool intended for data entry or update.

Good luck,
    Opher

• Suresh_BI
    Suresh_BI
    6 Posts

‏2013-09-29T09:39:59Z  

Hi,

You can use stored procedure to insert data in DB using cognos. You can call SP in report studio and do that. Please let me know if you need more steps about this.

Thanks,

Suresh.

• kalyankanu
    kalyankanu
    4 Posts

‏2013-09-29T16:12:52Z  
    • Suresh_BI
    • ‏2013-09-29T09:39:59Z

Hi,

You can use stored procedure to insert data in DB using cognos. You can call SP in report studio and do that. Please let me know if you need more steps about this.

Thanks,

Suresh.

Hi Suresh, thanks for your response....Pls send me the steps...and what kind of parameters do we need to pass while inserting data....pls help me

Thank you

• Suresh_BI
    Suresh_BI
    6 Posts

‏2013-09-29T16:27:26Z  

Hi Suresh, thanks for your response....Pls send me the steps...and what kind of parameters do we need to pass while inserting data....pls help me

Thank you

Hi Kalyan,

Please go thru with this link.

http://cognosknowhow.blogspot.in/2012/09/how-to-allow-user-to-add-comments-using.html#!

• kalyankanu
    kalyankanu
    4 Posts

‏2013-09-29T21:35:45Z  
    • Suresh_BI
    • ‏2013-09-29T16:27:26Z

Hi Kalyan,

http://cognosknowhow.blogspot.in/2012/09/how-to-allow-user-to-add-comments-using.html#!

Hi Suresh, Sorry for confusion. the real requirement is to take the records from excel sheet, and the records count would be more than 50,000 and insert those xls records into DB table. this process should be perform through cognos reporting.. right now we are using 8.4...pls help me now.

The purpose of this request will require to the users to populate their own prompt values. moreover they don't have direct access to the DB.

Pls help me..

• OpherB
    OpherB
    664 Posts

‏2013-09-30T18:17:05Z  

Hi Suresh, Sorry for confusion. the real requirement is to take the records from excel sheet, and the records count would be more than 50,000 and insert those xls records into DB table. this process should be perform through cognos reporting.. right now we are using 8.4...pls help me now.

The purpose of this request will require to the users to populate their own prompt values. moreover they don't have direct access to the DB.

Pls help me..

DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!

I'll write this one more time (even though the last time I promised myself would be the last time):

You wrote the three most dangerous words in IT: Excel, User, Database

Those three words have put companies out of business. If you want proof, open a new Excel file and put these values in A1-A4:

9/30/2013

Now auto-sum the column. THAT is just the tip of the Excel-issues iceberg.

I would NEVER allow a user to update the database from any Excel file. No matter what the "but", "and" or "my boss" reasons are.

NEVER. PERIOD.

Good luck,
    Opher

• krishnach
    krishnach
    1 Post

‏2014-04-13T14:24:49Z  
    • Suresh_BI
    • ‏2013-09-29T16:27:26Z

Hi Kalyan,

Hi Suresh,

I have gone through that link and followed the same steps but its prompting again and again after passing values for prompts in FM instead of closing the window.

Please send detailed steps.

It would be highly appreciated if you send the details ASAP.