Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-08-10T12:32:34Z by jscheel
PeterCarter
PeterCarter
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Replicate pSeries Linux Boot disk

‏2011-08-05T13:17:34Z |
 We have a client who has been replicating their Linux boot disk at their site to a LUN at our premises in another city.

Up till now they have been able to boot off the replicated lun with no problem but suddenly it no longer works and they are insisting that we "make it work".

When we try to boot from the sms menu it does not see the boot disk. However if we boot from the Linux DVD we are able to see the boot disk and can mount and umount filesystem with no problem.

Please can someone help me? Is this supported?
Updated on 2011-08-10T12:32:34Z at 2011-08-10T12:32:34Z by jscheel
  • willschm
    willschm
    38 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Replicate pSeries Linux Boot disk

‏2011-08-08T21:20:06Z  in response to PeterCarter
    How is the replica created?  Were there any other discernible changes associated with the "suddenly it no longer works"?   (I'm fishing for a 'different disk', or 'reformatted drive' or some other change that seems innocent :-) ).

As I recall;
    The SMS menus will only list a drive in the boot-from list  if it determines it is actually bootable.   There may be specific checks for a elf binary within a PReP type 41 partition...        `sfdisk -l` for the boot drive will show a "*" under the "Boot" heading to indicate this.     

# sfdisk -l 
    <snip...> 
       Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *      0+      0       1-      8001   41  PPC PReP Boot
    /dev/sda2          1     510     510    4096575   83  Linux
    <snip...>

Per sfdisk help, a -A option will set the active (bootable) flag.  
    • PeterCarter
      PeterCarter
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-10T06:53:39Z  in response to willschm
       Hi,

The only change that I am able to pin-point is that the SAN Switch has had a micro code update. We uses a different server first to boot from, but when that did not work we tried the original server, HBA, cable, port etc and still got the same result. 

When we check to see if we can see the boot disk from within Linux it is there. 

Regards 
      • jscheel
        jscheel
        45 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-10T12:32:34Z  in response to PeterCarter
        Peter, I think Wills suggestion is a good one.  Can you try the command Will suggested and post your results?  That will help us be of more assistance.