Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-01-24T16:45:09Z by jamatucar
oester
oester
112 Posts

Pinned topic Identifying client traffic in a cluster

‏2013-12-06T16:38:47Z |

I'm looking for tools or ideas in analyzing client traffic in a cluster. Let's take the example of a cluster of 6 NSD servers, 6 100 TB file systems, 100 clients. Assume all of the file systems have NSDs on all 6 of the NSD server nodes and are"well balanced".

- How can I identify which clients are driving the most load to the cluster in a holistic view?

It's fairly straightforward to take a look at an individual NSD server, see which clients are driving traffic (using thing like mmpon/dstat/iftop). But I'm looking at something that will tie the whole cluster together.

Ideas?

• yuri
    yuri
    212 Posts

Re: Identifying client traffic in a cluster

‏2013-12-10T00:03:49Z  

No, at present there's no per-client accounting on an NSD server.  You'd have to look at client-side mmpmon stats, or look outside GPFS, e.g. try to find a way to display per-TCP/IP connection data.

yuri

• sabujp
    sabujp
    12 Posts

‏2014-01-24T13:13:27Z  
    • yuri
    • ‏2013-12-10T00:03:49Z

No, at present there's no per-client accounting on an NSD server.  You'd have to look at client-side mmpmon stats, or look outside GPFS, e.g. try to find a way to display per-TCP/IP connection data.

yuri

I don't know if there's anything like this out there already, but you could roll your own using rrdtool + scripts which aggregate the results form various nsd's.

• jamatucar
    jamatucar
    4 Posts

‏2014-01-24T16:45:09Z  

If you're using infiniband/RDMA, you can run "mmfsadm test verbs conn" on each NSD to find counters for individual client usage.  You'll have to aggregate the data from all NSDs.  With ethernet you have to get creative with network monitoring....