Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-05-10T19:06:35Z by OpherB
OpherB
OpherB
543 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Cognos BI 10 and IBM InfoSphere

‏2013-05-09T00:20:41Z |

Hello - Has anyone here worked with both Cognos BI 10 and InfoSphere? I'm curious how you found the integration and import/export functionality.

For example, I understand that InfoSphere Data Architect can output Framework Manager project files. How good are they? How complete are they? Do you need to edit them extensively in FM? If so, what happens when you re-export from Data Architect - do the edits/changes get merged or over-written?

Does Data Architect produce Transformer model files? How good are they? What else can be produced?

When importing Cognos Reports to Business Glossary, how good are the results? Do calculations get tagged with the source data elements? Does formatting and prompting get imported? What about more advanced report elements, such as page sets, bursting elements, query SQL and query joins in the report, etc.?

Thanks very much. I'm hoping to get my hands on InfoSphere soon to be able to test all of this myself, but am hopeful that someone has covered some of the basics. Maybe we should have a thread about using these two environments together.

Opher

• mgibson
    mgibson
    213 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Cognos BI 10 and IBM InfoSphere

‏2013-05-09T23:45:45Z  in response to OpherB

Hi Opher,

We have Data Architect & Business Glossary as well - but haven't used much of the integration yet.  In fact the only thing I've tried is to import metadata into DA from Framework Manager (to generate a logical model), and it didn't work at all - I still have a Service Request open for it - that's been open for weeks.

Because metadata typically exchange uses 3rd party bridges, it's not always foolproof.

I've also imported some of our Cognos content into Metadata Workbench, which seems to work fine - but I find MW very difficult to get anything out of, especially in any usable format - even the technical guys in Israel (where it's developed) were unable to help me.  So I haven't bothered with it much to be honest.

Most of our content in Business Glossary has been imported from Excel spreadsheets, because we really only want the terms, descriptions, etc. in there, not all of the technical Cognos metadata.

Sorry, I'm not much help to you - but I'd be interested to know what you're planning and how you progress.

Regards

Mick

• OpherB
      OpherB
      543 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Cognos BI 10 and IBM InfoSphere

‏2013-05-10T19:06:35Z  in response to mgibson

Mick - Thanks for your reply. I was afraid that would be the case - I had tried all of this three years ago and found the same situation. I was hoping (wrongly?) that improvements would have been made by now.

My understanding is that IBM uses the MIMB technology to support the metadata exchanges. Their website makes everything sound so smooth and trouble-free....

I think we'll set our expectations low and be grateful for anything that works. At least that way our time estimates will be more accurate.

Thanks again,

Opher