Topic
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-07-16T07:50:59Z by DFS4_alex_goryachev
M.Hayman
M.Hayman
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Rhapsody for 64-bit Eclipse on Linux

‏2013-04-23T21:19:21Z |

My project is considering a move from RSA to Rhapsody for a variety of reasons, but we have a concern regarding 64-bit Eclipse support on a 64-bit Linux OS - our required development environment.  RSA already supports 64-bit Eclipse on Linux, while Rhapsody apparently does not.

My understanding is that the RHEL 6.x compatible version of Rhapsody 8.0.x is only available as a 32-bit application.  While this is not a problem on a 64-bit Linux host, it would force us to use a matching 32-bit version of Eclipse (3.7.2 is apparently the latest version supported by Rhapsody - an improvement over 3.6.2 for RSA :)), which in turn would force use of a compatible 32-bit JVM.

Our problem is that we have a significant number of additional Eclipse plug-ins within our IDE, and very large project needs that require a 64-bit JVM in order to transcend the 4 GByte available memory size limit.  However, a 64-bit JVM requires a 64-bit Eclipse installation, which is not compatible with the current 32-bit only Rhapsody product.

Does anyone know if there are plans to support a 64-bit Linux version of Rhapsody soon, so that we can consider this move, and be able to utilize a matched 64-bit Eclipse + JVM configuration?

• shanz9903
    shanz9903
    234 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Rhapsody for 64-bit Eclipse on Linux

‏2013-04-24T09:27:31Z  in response to M.Hayman

In a previous job we considered using Linux Rhapsody but didn't like it.

In the end we stayed with Windows Rhapsody and used Red Hat or CentOS VMs (on VMWare Workstation) and cross-compiled.

It did take quite a lot of work mind you.

• M.Hayman
      M.Hayman
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-25T17:41:16Z  in response to shanz9903

Thanks for the feedback.  I'd basically just assumed there wouldn't be a problem building 64-bit Linux target executables within any Rhapsody+Eclipse IDE, regardless of whether it was Windows/Linux or 32/64 bit, by using a cross-compilation approach (or not) if necessary. However, it's good to get confirmation of that.

Regardless, my concern isn't the configuration of the target run-time environment I'm building code for, it's the Eclipse environment itself.  We are considering porting some major existing Eclipse plug-in capabilities, which are already written in Java for the Eclipse framework, from an RSA base to a Rhapsody base - with model access by at least one of these plug-ins via the Rhapsody Java/JNI APIs.  The Java plug-ins themselves can utilize quite a bit of memory, for instance by opening and parsing very large XML files, capturing large data files generated by run-time executables, etc.  Limiting them to run within a 32-bit JVM, which is apparently indirectly required when Eclipse is integrated with the 32-bit Rhapsody application, is the issue.

• crazycliffy
      crazycliffy
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-07T20:27:36Z  in response to shanz9903

@shanz9903 - can you tell me more about your cross compiling work flow?  I am in a similar situation as @M.Hayman.  Our project currently uses RSARTE on Linux, and considering moving to Rhapsody, but we are concerned with the missing or lacking of features of the linux version of Rhapsody.  For example this link shows the limitations of linux rhapsody.  We are also concerned that if Rhapsody only supports 32 bit, but our project is 64 bits

@shanz9903 - specifically. do you first do your modeling with windows Rhapsody, save the model, then generate the code to your c:\ drive, and then copy the source code to a Redhat linux box so that you can compile it?  How do you actually cross-compile ?

Thanks!

• shanz9903
        shanz9903
        234 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-08T09:45:50Z  in response to crazycliffy

crazycliffy,

This was a few years ago now and my memory may not be entirely accurate but this is how I remember it worked :-

We used vmware workstation with red hat or centos virtual machines hosted on Windows XP.

Rhapsody for Windows on the host with a modified InvokeMake and/or batch file that used ssh to trigger the cross compilation build for LynxOS on the Red Hat (or CentOS) VM.

Linuxmake.bat

@echo OFFPATH=c:\cygwin\bin;C:\Rhapsody\Share\etc;%PATH%

set RCCHOST=hostTargetNameREM

set RCCHOST=hostVirtualName

set ROMROOT=/usr/rhp/Rhapsody/Share

dos2linuxpath.exe %CD%

call SETBUILDPATH.BAT

set HOME=/cygdrive/c

ssh %RCCHOST% -l %USERNAME% -n %ROMROOT%/etc/buildLinuxincomp %LCOMPDIR% %1 %2 %3

We added some new Rhapsody properties such as those in attached file NewProps.doc.

We configured vmware with 2 network cards - one bridged to the Company network and the other to the target hardware or a virtual target.

The VMWare network configuration was quite involved (see attached).

Updated on 2013-05-08T10:20:59Z at 2013-05-08T10:20:59Z by shanz9903
        • crazycliffy
          crazycliffy
          2 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-08T20:45:32Z  in response to shanz9903

@shanz9903 - thank you so much for the documentation, it really helps clarify your points and I understand conceptually how you do a cross-compile.   Just a few followup questions.

1.  When you do the "InvokeMake and/or batch file" especially while running ssh, do you see the any of the compilation error in the console? Or is the output silent?  For example, when you build, can you double click on the linked error and will it open the source/header file so that you can fix the bug?

2.  It looks like Rhapsody calls "Linuxmake.bat" and that script calls "buildLinuxincomp" via ssh, but then it calls "$etcDir/linuxmake $mkfile $*".  This looks circular and doesn't seem possible.  Is $etcDir/linuxmake a script in rhapsody or is it the same as Linuxmake.bat ?

Thanks!  

• shanz9903
            shanz9903
            234 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-09T08:42:35Z  in response to crazycliffy

crazycliffy,

I think Rhapsody built normally as if it was building locally.

I haven't got any of this installed anymore but I reckon linuxmake must have been a linux shell script equivalent to nmake on Windows I suppose.

**Update**

I've just downloaded Rhapsody linux to track down the linuxmake file and it contains :-

#!/bin/sh

if [ $# -eq 0 ] ; then
               echo "Usage: $0 Makefile [build|rebuild|clean] [additional args]"
               exit
            fi

mkfile=$1
            target="all"
            gmake -f $mkfile $target

Updated on 2013-05-09T10:09:43Z at 2013-05-09T10:09:43Z by shanz9903
  • shanz9903
    shanz9903
    234 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-25T14:35:34Z  in response to M.Hayman

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rhaphlp/v7r6/topic/com.ibm.rhp.cg.doc/topics/rhp_t_dev_build_64_bit_apps.html

This link talks a bit about 64-bit applications.

• DFS4_alex_goryachev
    DFS4_alex_goryachev
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-11T11:25:39Z  in response to M.Hayman

I know it is unrelated to your question, but can you elaborate on why you are considering moving from RSA to Rhp?

• M.Hayman
      M.Hayman
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-11T15:32:10Z  in response to DFS4_alex_goryachev

Sure.  We do a lot of work with an RSA value-added Eclipse plug-in that supports comprehensive development of distributed, real-time & embedded (DRE) software applications targeted for the Component Based DDS (CBDDS) application framework.

With CBDDS being an operational technology (OT) DRE software framework based upon a suite of OMG open standards for real-time software, rather than information technology (IT) like Java EE or the .NET platform, an RSA base is not ideal.  It's like a fish out of water running on a product base that IBM explicitly targets for IT software technology solutions - not OT, which is IBM's target domain for Rhapsody.

As such, while our CBDDS tool integrated with RSA works great as it stands today, it's difficult to extend and fully integrate with other modeling capabilities - if that's of importance to you like it is to us.  For instance, it cannot leverage other real-time software UML profiles and capabilities like MARTE or real-time behavioral modeling, such as those supported by Rhapsody, because RSA is all about enterprise architectures, web services, WebSphere, XML, WSDLs, etc.

Moreover, my company desires a full range of modeling capabilities that support both systems and software engineering - which means supplementing CBDDS software modeling with additional UML profiles like SysML.  SysML and other systems engineering related profiles are not available for RSA today because IBM has targeted them exclusively for Rhapsody.  Yes there are cross-link possibilities for tying together separate RSA software and Rhapsody systems models through a Jazz integration, but it's not ideal.  Our preference is a single tool that does everything we need - not a bunch of separate tools strung together, with more licenses required, new procedural & process requirements, etc.

• DFS4_alex_goryachev
        DFS4_alex_goryachev
        13 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-16T07:50:59Z  in response to M.Hayman

Thank you for the explanation.

Our project seems to be much smaller scale that what you are describing, so many of your considerations do not apply in our case. Nevertheless, what you wrote is very interesting.

• ORR
    ORR
    11 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-15T07:39:31Z  in response to M.Hayman

M.Hayman,

currently there is no 64Bit version of Rhapsody for Linux, however the Rhapsody team is working on the issue (but there is no date for a solution yet).

Note that I'm not an IBM member, but incidentally I had a similar problem and got this information from the Rhapsody guys.