• 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-11-27T21:50:45Z by Pave1
nmonweb
nmonweb
3 Posts

Pinned topic New tool NMONWEB

‏2014-06-09T12:44:11Z |

Hi guys

For many years I have used a set of tools for reporting to my clients about drinking my AIX machines.

He had used nmon2rdd, but thought it was better to use a database (MySQL) to store data files NMON.

Developed a Web page based on the NMON Analyzer tool that allows me to see the data of one or several days directly from the data in the DB, with statistical charts that can be easily exported to PNG, JPEG, PDF, etc..

It could also perform queries directly to the database and dump into Excel sheets, according to my needs.

Create another similar utility to store the data collected by the lslparutil command from the HMCs and included it in my web front.

I have translated it into English (sorry) and I've published so that others can use it.

Is available on the www.nmonweb.com page and includes a fully functional demonstration.

Please use it if you can and want to help improve it. My next challenge is to make graphics of consumption groups AIX and Linux machines.
  • Pave1
    Pave1
    48 Posts

Re: New tool NMONWEB

‏2014-06-20T11:49:33Z  

BTW recently released LPAR2RRD v4.50 also supports NMON as a data source

http://www.lpar2rrd.com/nmon.htm

Cheers,

Pavel

• nmonweb
    nmonweb
    3 Posts

‏2014-06-26T10:01:15Z  
    • Pave1
    • ‏2014-06-20T11:49:33Z

BTW recently released LPAR2RRD v4.50 also supports NMON as a data source

http://www.lpar2rrd.com/nmon.htm

Cheers,

Pavel

Thanks for this information, but I create this application for the following reasons:

- LPAR2RDD and NMON2RDD works with RDD files with some limitations: you can not add old information, only incremental.

- The graphics are not beautiful, and I need make presentations to my customers for ITL process (Capacity Management, Availability Management, etc) and I can not include this graphics.

- I can not make a graph that displays CPU usage, memory or other data from multiple servers simultaneously (in the next version of nmonweb include this feature: make a group of servers and make this graphics).

- I can not make a graph that display CPU usage, memory or other data for the same server in two days simultaneously (I need this feature for show the impact the changes in the application, migration version of Operating System or hardware, etc.).

- My customers have monitoring tools (ITM, Maximo, Patrol, etc.) and don't want to add new agents to perform this functions.

If we replace the RDD files for a Data Base with ODBC connection, I can perform complex graphics recovering this information using SQL statements, creating new graphics for the needs of my client, using Excel or other tools.

Create a Web interface that would allow me to generate these charts with two main characteristics: the graphics were attractive and can be directly exportable as graphics files (JPEG, PDF, PNG, etc).

Finally, I need the información that provided the lsparutil command from the HMC (or IVM) and showing the pGraph application. So create the Perl program to store this information in a DB, and modify my web interface for showing this.

I will create my blog for explain my work and how install and use my tool (Wiki: NMONWEB ).

Thanks

David Lopez

Updated on 2014-06-26T10:58:26Z at 2014-06-26T10:58:26Z by nmonweb
  • Pave1
    Pave1
    48 Posts

‏2014-06-26T20:54:45Z  
    • nmonweb
    • ‏2014-06-26T10:01:15Z

Thanks for this information, but I create this application for the following reasons:

- LPAR2RDD and NMON2RDD works with RDD files with some limitations: you can not add old information, only incremental.

- The graphics are not beautiful, and I need make presentations to my customers for ITL process (Capacity Management, Availability Management, etc) and I can not include this graphics.

- I can not make a graph that displays CPU usage, memory or other data from multiple servers simultaneously (in the next version of nmonweb include this feature: make a group of servers and make this graphics).

- I can not make a graph that display CPU usage, memory or other data for the same server in two days simultaneously (I need this feature for show the impact the changes in the application, migration version of Operating System or hardware, etc.).

- My customers have monitoring tools (ITM, Maximo, Patrol, etc.) and don't want to add new agents to perform this functions.

If we replace the RDD files for a Data Base with ODBC connection, I can perform complex graphics recovering this information using SQL statements, creating new graphics for the needs of my client, using Excel or other tools.

Create a Web interface that would allow me to generate these charts with two main characteristics: the graphics were attractive and can be directly exportable as graphics files (JPEG, PDF, PNG, etc).

Finally, I need the información that provided the lsparutil command from the HMC (or IVM) and showing the pGraph application. So create the Perl program to store this information in a DB, and modify my web interface for showing this.

I will create my blog for explain my work and how install and use my tool (Wiki: NMONWEB ).

Thanks

David Lopez

sure, everything has its own limitation :)

NMON implementation in LPAR2RRD is not intended to replace tools like nmon2web and others perhaps even nmonweb. We are not trying to store and present all data which nmon is able to provide.

LPAR2RRD should act as the front-end tool for admins which is able to highlight critical problems with CPU/Mem/LAN or SAN. For deeper analysis is necessary to use either OS level tools like nmon, iostat, vmstat, perfPMR ... or NMON analyser and other web based tools with all NMON metrics like your one (?).

Cheers, Pavel

• SteveHicks
    SteveHicks
    6 Posts

‏2014-11-25T14:34:02Z  

Hello,

I am sorry, but I do not understand how, 'nmonweb' (sic) you consider you are authorized to reuse for your tool a name already used by a previous -and well known- tool, present for several years.

In  the better case it's confusing.. but in all cases that appears as simply incorrect, both for Pavel and for users community.

It's not a judgement about your tool itself, which seems to be interesting.. just a remark about the way you choose to introduce it, which is simply not acceptable.

• nmonweb
    nmonweb
    3 Posts

‏2014-11-27T11:10:44Z  

Hello,

I am sorry, but I do not understand how, 'nmonweb' (sic) you consider you are authorized to reuse for your tool a name already used by a previous -and well known- tool, present for several years.

In  the better case it's confusing.. but in all cases that appears as simply incorrect, both for Pavel and for users community.

It's not a judgement about your tool itself, which seems to be interesting.. just a remark about the way you choose to introduce it, which is simply not acceptable.

Hello

I took a little time before replying your comment, because I do not understand your anger.

Before registering the domain nmonweb.com, youtube and twitter account, and create the website, I was thinking a lot about the name you give this toolkit. I searched reference with name nmonweb y I didn't found anything, except nmon2web, that is part the nmon2rdd program.

In my website you can see in "Thanks you" that I make reference to this tool (NMON2RDD) and I written "This tools is based on existing ones, for which I thank developers".

I appreciate the work he has done and continues to do Bruce with this tool.

But, I don't put this name intentionally for confusing to anyone or get any profit or replace the work anyone.

I'm spending a lot of time to publish and support this tool, as well as some money when he could have continued to use only on my clients or my colleagues.

Please keep that in mind before you write things like "just a remark about the way you choose to enter it, Which is simply not acceptable".

What route should be used to advertise my tool? Is this not the right forum? 

• Pave1
    Pave1
    48 Posts

‏2014-11-27T21:50:45Z  
    • nmonweb
    • ‏2014-11-27T11:10:44Z

Hello

I took a little time before replying your comment, because I do not understand your anger.

Before registering the domain nmonweb.com, youtube and twitter account, and create the website, I was thinking a lot about the name you give this toolkit. I searched reference with name nmonweb y I didn't found anything, except nmon2web, that is part the nmon2rdd program.

In my website you can see in "Thanks you" that I make reference to this tool (NMON2RDD) and I written "This tools is based on existing ones, for which I thank developers".

I appreciate the work he has done and continues to do Bruce with this tool.

But, I don't put this name intentionally for confusing to anyone or get any profit or replace the work anyone.

I'm spending a lot of time to publish and support this tool, as well as some money when he could have continued to use only on my clients or my colleagues.

Please keep that in mind before you write things like "just a remark about the way you choose to enter it, Which is simply not acceptable".

What route should be used to advertise my tool? Is this not the right forum? 

I believe that this is the right forum for introduction of such tool.

As per me I am not confused by the name of the project :)

Cheers, Pavel