Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-30T18:28:25Z by ROBOPM
ROBOPM
ROBOPM
6 Posts

Pinned topic Is it possible to create multiple symbolic links from multiple x_footer.htt files and linking them to a single “x_footer.htt” (e.g. to become a VOB file)?

‏2013-08-28T19:49:38Z |

Hello Developers,

I'll do my best to explain what I am trying to achieve....

Intro:

• Using Rational ClearCase Explorer 7.1.1.3
  • Files used by RoboHelp 8

Overview:

Every RoboHelp 8 project uses the same master page file (htt). This file is in every project directory. Is there a way to create symlinks from these duplicate files that would link to one VOB Symbolic link in clearcase?

Details of issue:

There are multiple instances of the x_footer.htt file (master Page) in the \docs\html\apps\projects directory. In particular, there is an independent copy of this file in each of the subfolders of the \docs\html\apps\projects folder.

Note: These htt files were added as a result of another author working on an older project hence, adding x_footer.htt master pages to every project directory.

Question:

There should not be multiple instances of the same file in the source control (using Rational ClearCase Explorer 7.1.1.3). Therefore, is it possible to reference the x_footer.htt file (e.g. VOB file) from my templates folder under my src\common_files directory, where I can link (TO), from all the other x_footer.htt files that are currently located in other project directories?

In other words, creating multiple symbolic links from multiple x_footer.htt files and linking them to a single "x_footer.htt VOB file" that resides in a single location (src\common_files).

Conclusion:

The only other way I know of is a time consuming process; this would involve removing the x_footer.htm file from master pages from each help project and then creating one instance and then link to each project using symbolic links.

Thank you all for your time,

~PM

• ROBOPM
    ROBOPM
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Is it possible to create multiple symbolic links from multiple x_footer.htt files and linking them to a single “x_footer.htt” (e.g. to become a VOB file)?

‏2013-08-30T18:28:25Z  
    • ROBOPM
    • ‏2013-08-30T13:52:15Z

Hello David,

Thanks for responding!

1. You're correct, on my typo.

2. Every RoboHelp project (e.g., project creates a CHM help file) has a Master page (x_footer.htt). These files are identical. However, if I make a change to this file (e.g., using RoboHelp), I would need to do the same change to several projects,hence, my inquiry.

I am not sure if what I am asking would work, but suppose I create a Symlink on every "x_footer.htt" file and targeted  these files into my src\common_files folder; is this possible? Please see "Attachments" for a visual example.

My goal: if I make one change to the x_footer.htt file within a single project, then all the x_footer.htt files located in other would change as well. This is what I want. Changes to the x_footer.htt file need to be consistent throughout all projects. 

PLEASE NOTE: I know I can copy the x_footer.htt file, copy it into my src\common_files folder, add it to source control, and then create Symlinks from the x_footer.htt (file located in src\common_files folder) and target it to all my project folders. However, I will have to delete all the x_footer.htt files from RoboHelp and from source control; deleting scares me :) Then from RoboHelp, I would have to import the x_footer.htt file (the copy of the symlink file from src\common_files folder) and do the same this for all my RoboHelp projects.

Thank you,

~PM

After researching if there were any repercussions deleting RoboHelp Master pages as long the file was the same (i.e. name and internal html code), there would not be any problems. Sometimes I do not take the simplistic approach towards things... my bad ;(

The Solution:

Action taken:

1. Copied the x_footer.htt file into src\common_files folder.

2. Added x_footer.htt file to source control

3. Deleted 7 x_footer.htt files located in \doc_4x\html\apps\projects\ folders.

4. Created symbolic link(s) from x_footer.htt file to the 7 \doc_4x\html\apps\projects\ folders.

• Dave-Robinson
    Dave-Robinson
    116 Posts

Re: Is it possible to create multiple symbolic links from multiple x_footer.htt files and linking them to a single “x_footer.htt” (e.g. to become a VOB file)?

‏2013-08-30T01:34:37Z  

Hello PM,

1. I am wondering whether the "x_footer.htm" in your "Conclusion" is a typo and should be "x_footer.htt"

2. It isn't quite clear to me what is the difference, in terms of outcome, between your "Question" (... creating multiple symbolic links from multiple x_footer.htt files ...) and your "Conclusion" (... removing the x_footer.htm file from master pages from each help project and then creating ... symbolic links)

Are you just looking for a command / tool to do it for you? Or am I missing something?

David

• ROBOPM
    ROBOPM
    6 Posts

‏2013-08-30T13:52:15Z  

Hello PM,

1. I am wondering whether the "x_footer.htm" in your "Conclusion" is a typo and should be "x_footer.htt"

2. It isn't quite clear to me what is the difference, in terms of outcome, between your "Question" (... creating multiple symbolic links from multiple x_footer.htt files ...) and your "Conclusion" (... removing the x_footer.htm file from master pages from each help project and then creating ... symbolic links)

Are you just looking for a command / tool to do it for you? Or am I missing something?

David

Hello David,

Thanks for responding!

2. Every RoboHelp project (e.g., project creates a CHM help file) has a Master page (x_footer.htt). These files are identical. However, if I make a change to this file (e.g., using RoboHelp), I would need to do the same change to several projects,hence, my inquiry.

I am not sure if what I am asking would work, but suppose I create a Symlink on every "x_footer.htt" file and targeted  these files into my src\common_files folder; is this possible? Please see "Attachments" for a visual example.

My goal: if I make one change to the x_footer.htt file within a single project, then all the x_footer.htt files located in other would change as well. This is what I want. Changes to the x_footer.htt file need to be consistent throughout all projects. 

PLEASE NOTE: I know I can copy the x_footer.htt file, copy it into my src\common_files folder, add it to source control, and then create Symlinks from the x_footer.htt (file located in src\common_files folder) and target it to all my project folders. However, I will have to delete all the x_footer.htt files from RoboHelp and from source control; deleting scares me :) Then from RoboHelp, I would have to import the x_footer.htt file (the copy of the symlink file from src\common_files folder) and do the same this for all my RoboHelp projects.

Thank you,

~PM

Attachments

• ROBOPM
    ROBOPM
    6 Posts

‏2013-08-30T18:28:25Z  
    • ROBOPM
    • ‏2013-08-30T13:52:15Z

Hello David,

Thanks for responding!

Thank you,

~PM

After researching if there were any repercussions deleting RoboHelp Master pages as long the file was the same (i.e. name and internal html code), there would not be any problems. Sometimes I do not take the simplistic approach towards things... my bad ;(

The Solution:

Action taken:

1. Copied the x_footer.htt file into src\common_files folder.

2. Added x_footer.htt file to source control

3. Deleted 7 x_footer.htt files located in \doc_4x\html\apps\projects\ folders.

4. Created symbolic link(s) from x_footer.htt file to the 7 \doc_4x\html\apps\projects\ folders.