I've seen the degraded host message many times when my HBAs are not logged in to the v7000.... no problem.
However, I have the following set up that seems 100% correct to me & I still receive the degraded host message.
v7000 - clustered - 2 controllers - 4 canisters
- 16 total HBA ports - 8 HBA ports on Fabric A - 8 HBA ports on Fabric B
- ports 1 & 4 on each can are on Fabric A
- ports 2 & 3 on each can are on Fabric B
AIX Client LPAR running current SDDPCM 184.108.40.206 device driver
- 4 HBA adapters - all NPIV or 4 vfc Client Adapters
- the 4 HBAs are mapped thru 2 x VIO Servers.... traditional 2 HBAs thru each VIO Server
- vfc hba # 1 zoned on Fabric A to Ctlr A Can 1 Port 1
- vfc hba # 1 zoned on Fabric A to Ctlr B Can 1 Port 1
- vfc hba # 2 zoned on Fabric B to Ctlr A Can 1 Port 2
- vfc hba # 2 zoned on Fabric B to Ctlr B Can 1 Port 2
- vfc hba # 3 zoned on Fabric B to Ctlr A Can 2 Port 3
- vfc hba # 3 zoned on Fabric B to Ctlr B Can 2 Port 3
- vfc hba # 4 zoned on Fabric A to Ctlr A Can 2 Port 4
- vfc hba # 4 zoned on Fabric A to Ctlr B Can 2 Port 4
for a total of 8 paths to my vDisk (which is SDDPCM's limit)
- vDisk is accessible by io Group 0 AND Io Group 1 but is cached by io group 1 at the present time
from AIX - 8 paths are seen by SDDPCM - no problem so far, everything appears correct
- I would anticipate that most (all?) I/O would traverse only the 4 paths zoned to Ctlr B (io group 1), and
- should I every force the vDisk over to io group 0, I would expect most (all?) I/O would traverse only the 4 paths zoned to Ctlr A
BUT this configuration gives me the dreaded "host degraded" message.
I don't buy into the "degraded" message being correct in this instance. (and please don't ask me to zone ONLY to IO Group 1 (or ONLY to IO Group 0) without stating some very specific reasons why. This defeats the idea behind a CLUSTERED v7000 doesn't it ?) That said, any constructive comments are always welcome.
Bottom line..... I'm struggling with the age old question >>>>> functioning as designed or defect ? or is my thinking screwed up ?