2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-05-16T10:34:07Z by Alan Chambers
Alan Chambers
Alan Chambers
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Problem generating a merged plugin configuration

‏2013-05-10T14:41:08Z |

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a simple configuration with two Liberty servers, each on a Linux server, and a third machine running IHS + the  Web Server Plugin - doing all this via the Job Manager feature within a dmgr.  I'm using WAS ND 8.5.0.2.

I can install the two servers from a packaged zip file containing wlp and my trivial web app;  I can start the servers from the job manager;  and  I can access the application on both servers.  This all works pretty well.

I'm now trying to use the job type "Generate a merged plugin configuration file for Liberty profile servers" but this consistently succeeds on one server and fails on the other, even though the wlp config on both servers is identical. 

The job manager returns me three files:

(1)  mergePluginJobStdOut.log (which looks OK to me):

********************************** Start: thinkpadt40/runtime/wlp/liberty_server/SimpleLiberty2 **********************************
Entry:GeneratePlugin
 Arguments passed = [-serverLocation, /home/alan/liberty/wlp/usr/servers/SimpleLiberty2]
Entry: processArgs
-serverLocation = /home/alan/liberty/wlp/usr/servers/SimpleLiberty2
Exit: processArgs
Fully qualify jmx file location:/home/alan/liberty/wlp/usr/servers/SimpleLiberty2/workarea/com.ibm.ws.jmx.local.address
Fully qualify rest file location:/home/alan/liberty/wlp/usr/servers/SimpleLiberty2/workarea/com.ibm.ws.jmx.rest.address
 jmx local = true
Calling getJMXPort
Entry:getJMXPort
Exit:getJMXPort
Calling openJMXMBeanServerConnection 
Entry:openJMXMBeanServerConnection
Entry:getSSLSocketFactory
Entry:createTrustAllManager
Exit:createTrustAllManager
Exit:getSSLSocketFactory
Get Ciphers [SSL_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5, SSL_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_SHA, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA, TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA, TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA, TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA, TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA, TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA, SSL_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA, SSL_DHE_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA, SSL_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA, SSL_RSA_WITH_DES_CBC_SHA, SSL_DHE_RSA_WITH_DES_CBC_SHA, SSL_DHE_DSS_WITH_DES_CBC_SHA, SSL_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_RC4_40_MD5, SSL_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA, SSL_DHE_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA, SSL_DHE_DSS_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA, TLS_EMPTY_RENEGOTIATION_INFO_SCSV]
Value of url:service:jmx:rmi://127.0.0.1/stub/rO0ABXNyAC5qYXZheC5tYW5hZ2VtZW50LnJlbW90ZS5ybWkuUk1JU2VydmVySW1wbF9TdHViAAAAAAAAAAICAAB4cgAaamF2YS5ybWkuc2VydmVyLlJlbW90ZVN0dWLp/tzJi+FlGgIAAHhyABxqYXZhLnJtaS5zZXJ2ZXIuUmVtb3RlT2JqZWN002G0kQxhMx4DAAB4cHcrAAtVbmljYXN0UmVmMgAAAAAAgUFxvf0ag7Q7tnhYXy4AAAE+jmad6oABAHg=
Exit:openJMXMBeanServerConnection
Calling getGeneratePluginConfigObjectName 
Entry:getGeneratePluginConfigObjectName
Exit:getGeneratePluginConfigObjectName
Executing mbeanServerConn.invoke with generateDefaultPluginConfig to create plugin-cfg.xml
Exit:GeneratePlugin

********************************** End: thinkpadt40/runtime/wlp/liberty_server/SimpleLiberty2 **********************************

(2) mergePluginJobStdErr.log, which clearly is not OK:

CWWKJ0044E: Command generateMergedPluginConfigForLibertyProfileServers failed on host thinkpadt40. The specified file /home/alan/liberty/wlp/usr/servers/SimpleLiberty2/plugin-cfg.xml does not exist.

and (3)  failedSucceededLibertyProfileServers.txt which just contains this:

Successful Liberty profile servers:

Failed Liberty profile servers:
  /home/alan/liberty/wlp/usr/servers/SimpleLiberty2 - thinkpadt40/runtime/wlp/liberty_server/SimpleLiberty2

Any ideas?  Am I doing something silly?

Many thanks,

Alan

• TUFS_CHARLES_LUCIER
    TUFS_CHARLES_LUCIER
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Problem generating a merged plugin configuration

‏2013-05-14T19:50:35Z  in response to Alan Chambers

Hi Alan,

Were you able to verify if /home/alan/liberty/wlp/usr/servers/SimpleLiberty2/plugin-cfg.xml really doesn't exist? Was the SimpleLiberty2 server running?

If the plugin-cfg.xml files isn't in the /home/alan/liberty/wlp/usr/servers/SimpleLiberty2/ directory we can see if we are able to create a plugin-cfg.xml file at all by following the instructions below:

- start SimpleLiberty2 server
    - start jconsole > connect to the SimpleLiberty2 server process
    - in jconsole navigate to:
    > MBeans tab
    > expand Websphere
    > expand com.ibm.ws.jmx.mbeans.generatePluginConfig
    > Select Operations
    > Click generateDefaultPluginConfig
    > Should see that plugin-cfg.xml is in /home/alan/liberty/wlp/usr/servers/SimpleLiberty2/

• Alan Chambers
      Alan Chambers
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Problem generating a merged plugin configuration

‏2013-05-16T10:34:07Z  in response to TUFS_CHARLES_LUCIER

Hi - and thank you for your help with this.

It is true that the plugin-cfg.xml file was not being generated on the server in question, so I would have liked to try the approach you describe with jconsole.  However, the machine in question doesn't have a GUI, so I couldn't use jconsole locally, and I couldn't work out how to access it remotely (all that SSL stuff makes that a challenge for another day, I think!).

So I reviewed the configuration of the two machines again and found a difference in the /etc/hosts file.  On the one that worked OK, I'd defined its hostname but on the one that failed I hadn't done so.  This is a small test config so there's no DNS on the network.  As soon as I added thinkpadt40's hostname to its own hosts file, it worked fine.

I don't know whether this requirement is documented anywhere but I hadn't spotted it.

Thanks again for you help - it's all working nicely now.

Alan