• 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-06-10T06:47:25Z by ShrishailPatil
marysgu
marysgu
6 Posts

Pinned topic Problem with dependencies on deliver

‏2013-04-19T15:08:20Z |

Hello,

Im trying to do a deliver of an activity but we found dependencies (archives and folders)that dont have anything related to the activity. The problem is that we cant deliver.

What kind of test cand I do to solve this?

I attach an image.

thanks a lot!

Attachments

• benray
    benray
    74 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Problem with dependencies on deliver

‏2013-04-22T18:35:42Z  

The screenshot shows that activity "56814..." depends on six other activities. If you're not able to determine why these dependencies exist based on the whitepaper referenced here you may wish to open a PMR so the support team can take a closer look at the the source stream activities and timelines and determine what options are available for you to deliver normally (without resorting to findmerge -fcsets).

• stamaja
    stamaja
    8 Posts

‏2013-04-22T13:49:29Z  

What is probably the case here is that UCM is detecting what it calls a "dependancy" but you don't see it.  Rational has an excellent paper that explains UCM dependancies that might help you understand what is going on.  In our experience it is dependancies on the folders that is not at first obvious that causes a lot of the confusion, with revisions to the folders coming from developers adding or deleting files.

Here is the link to "Understanding ClearCase UCM Deliver Dependancies" ... http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27012941&aid=2

Hope this helps.

• marysgu
    marysgu
    6 Posts

‏2013-04-22T15:35:43Z  
    • stamaja
    • ‏2013-04-22T13:49:29Z

What is probably the case here is that UCM is detecting what it calls a "dependancy" but you don't see it.  Rational has an excellent paper that explains UCM dependancies that might help you understand what is going on.  In our experience it is dependancies on the folders that is not at first obvious that causes a lot of the confusion, with revisions to the folders coming from developers adding or deleting files.

Here is the link to "Understanding ClearCase UCM Deliver Dependancies" ... http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27012941&aid=2

Hope this helps.

Thank you ,Stamaja.

I read the docuement and its pretty clear.

But I dont understand when you said "with revisions to the folders coming from developers adding or deleting files" . Are you suggesting that we should review the history of our changes in folders?

thanks a lot!

• benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-04-22T18:35:42Z  

The screenshot shows that activity "56814..." depends on six other activities. If you're not able to determine why these dependencies exist based on the whitepaper referenced here you may wish to open a PMR so the support team can take a closer look at the the source stream activities and timelines and determine what options are available for you to deliver normally (without resorting to findmerge -fcsets).

• stamaja
    stamaja
    8 Posts

‏2013-04-22T18:42:46Z  
    • marysgu
    • ‏2013-04-22T15:35:43Z

Thank you ,Stamaja.

I read the docuement and its pretty clear.

But I dont understand when you said "with revisions to the folders coming from developers adding or deleting files" . Are you suggesting that we should review the history of our changes in folders?

thanks a lot!

What I was trying to say is that I think the UCM depenancies are on one or more folders and being caused by files added to or deleted from those folders.  The way to see that would be by looking at the Change Sets for the Activities.

To try to explain it better I have written up a simple scenario (attached) with two files being added to a folder under two Activities.  I can not say for sure that this this is what is happening in your case or in any case in general, but it is the way I think UCM dependancies work.  If it is in part of what is happening with your Delivery, it may help you come up with a way to prevent it going forward.  What we did when we ran up against it was to do what is suggested at the end of the Rational paper - we changed the UCM structure so that there was one Stream for each Activity.  That combined with better management of what Activities were to be delivered for a Baseline (or Release depending on what you want to call it) did virtually eliminate Delivery dependancies on that project.  A side benefit was we found that developers were no longer stepping on each by changing what some else changed but didn't Deliver which can happen when they all work on the same Stream.

What is sometimes missed in discussions about UCM dependancies is that there is a very valid reason why Rational put that kind of check in UCM.  It does prevent problems, albeit problems that may not be obvious or problems that developers may not believe are real.

• marysgu
    marysgu
    6 Posts

‏2013-04-25T19:19:29Z  

Thank you all,I will open a PMR to see if they can help me!

Mariela

• SANDHYA@IBM
    SANDHYA@IBM
    24 Posts

‏2013-05-08T11:34:26Z  
    • marysgu
    • ‏2013-04-25T19:19:29Z

Mariela

I have faced such issue few times..It happens when we/developers use activities which are created for some other requirement

For Ex : In this release only  A needs to go and by mistake while working on files we use  B activity for checkout ,do changes and create  new versions.Then you have used A for  checking in the next versions..

The requirement is that only files touched by activity A should go in this release but due to the usage of activity B in few versions..UCM detects dependency..

What we can do is  :

We can create a new activity and move the change set  versions which were touched by activity B to this new activity  and deliver this new activity with A.

You can move the change sets by right clicking the activty..Select Properties -> Check the change sets --> right click -> Move Change Sets to activity..

ClearCase will allow you to browse the activities...here you can select the new activity.

This will mostly reduce the dependency [ provided you identify the correct versions]..Please try this..

Regards,
    Sandhya

• ShrishailPatil
    ShrishailPatil
    3 Posts

‏2014-06-10T06:47:25Z  
    • marysgu
    • ‏2013-04-25T19:19:29Z

Mariela

Hi ,

If you have dependencies between activities means you need to deliver both the activities.