Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-07-30T09:31:49Z by ShilpaAgarwal
ShilpaAgarwal
ShilpaAgarwal
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic spt file not generated during Run Time Analysis activity

‏2013-07-16T08:44:41Z |

Hi,

I am working on a project created with "Run Time Analysis" activity and trying to get some structural coverage. I am using RTRT 7.5.0.6 and Code Composer Studio 4.0. I have connected to board using XDS510USB emulator.

It is observed that while executing the test with "Run Time Trace" option enabled, I am able to generate the code coverage report.

When I disable the "Run Time Trace" option, I am not able to see coverage as "spt" file is not created. I see coverage as 0% (its due to fdc files)

As per my understanding, Run Time Trace and Code Coverage are 2 different types of reports which generate files with different extensions.

But not able to understand how run time trace option is impacting generation of spt file.

Is it mandatory to enable run time trace option while using Run Time Analysis.

Please clarify and help me understand this.

Thanks in advance.

Updated on 2013-07-17T06:54:57Z at 2013-07-17T06:54:57Z by ShilpaAgarwal
  • richard.france
    richard.france
    814 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: spt file not generated during Run Time Analysis activity

‏2013-07-17T09:14:36Z  in response to ShilpaAgarwal

all results are mixed together into the atl_buffer on the target memory and need to be dumped to generate the .spt file that will be split into multiple files after execution.

As far I can understand, in your case atl_buffer has a size big enough to record all coverage results but not enough to resord all coverage results + trace results.

So when using trace the application is stopped to dump the atl_buffer each time it is full.

the atl_buffer is dumped to the host file then the application restart and re-full the atl_buffer until it is full again and so on.

normaly at the END of the application the RTRT runtime dump the rest of the atl_buffer that has not been dumped yet.

It seems in your case your application never ends and so you never have the rest of the atl_buffer.

is it your case ?

if yes can you attach your TDP ?

• ShilpaAgarwal
      ShilpaAgarwal
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-18T08:04:26Z  in response to richard.france

In my project, as the application never ends, I have placed data dump instruction "#pragma attol insert _ATCPQ_DUMP(_ATCPQ_CLOSE);".

After hitting this instruction, I am closing CCS and then post processing is performed by RTRT.

At the dump instruction, entire atl_buffer should be dumped. So I don't think there is any problem with the dump of the buffer.

Still I am not sure how Run Time Trace is leading to *.spt generation. Or how these 2 are interlinked. Usually (Component Testing), if Run time trace is disabled still we get coverage.

• richard.france
        richard.france
        814 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-19T11:13:31Z  in response to ShilpaAgarwal

attach the TDP as I can have a look at.

As I said previously all feature results are written into the same file (.spt) which is split after execution.

once more time more you have result data,  faster the atl_buffer is full and the buffer is dumped more frequently.

• ShilpaAgarwal
          ShilpaAgarwal
          3 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-30T09:31:49Z  in response to richard.france

Richard, as you mentioned in your first reply, the buffer was not enough to hold the coverage data and the Run time trace option was disabled, so the data was not dumped as and when it was full. thus it was loosing the coverage data. I increased my buffer size and now it works good. 

Thanks for the help.