Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-04-23T14:45:00Z by CMcGee
CMcGee
CMcGee
9 Posts

Pinned topic Power 7 9117-MMB SLES 11.1 NVRAM / IBM Installation Tool Kit 5.1 install

‏2012-04-23T13:42:04Z |
 I have ran into an issue trying to install SLES 11 SP1 on a Power 7 9117-MMB model with a IBM PCI-X DDR 3Gb SAS RAID Adapter (572F). The initial install via the Tool Kit 5.1 goes well. The SLES OS is laid down and packages installed. When the OS reboots we get an error which we were able to determine was with the NVRAM - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/LinuxP/Claim+failed+for+initrd+error+with+SUSE. we followed the instructions and wiped-nvram. The server booted, however we have to repeat this every time the server boots, some how the NVRAM keeps getting reset. I scraped this install and installed without the Tool Kit, the install completed successfully. It would then appear that there is an issue with the Tool Kit...? There could also be some compatibility issue with the IBM PCI-X DDR 3Gb SAS RAID Adapter (572F). I tried an initial install of SLES 11 SP2 which has NVRAM fixes, however the install CD would not boot with our Power 7 hardware. Any ideas? Anyone ran into this issue before?
Updated on 2012-04-23T14:45:00Z at 2012-04-23T14:45:00Z by CMcGee
  • RodrigoCruz
    RodrigoCruz
    11 Posts

Re: Power 7 9117-MMB SLES 11.1 NVRAM / IBM Installation Tool Kit 5.1 install

‏2012-04-23T14:03:29Z  
    Hello,

So what you did was: 

1. Boot the server with the IBM Installation Toolkit DVD 
    2. Used it to start an installation of SLES 11 SP1 
    3. The machine rebooted 
    4. The OS installation was correctly done
    5. The machine rebooted again
    6. Boot problems

A. Is this correct? 

The boot problem was *exactly* the one described at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/LinuxP/Claim+failed+for+initrd+error+with+SUSE? In other words:

boot: linux
    Please wait, loading kernel...
    Elf64 kernel loaded...
    Loading ramdisk...
    Claim failed for initrd memory
    ramdisk load failed !
    ENTER called ok
    0 > 

B. Is this correct? 

After the boot problem, you did:

1. Run "dev nvram" and "wipe-nvram" on the OpenFirmware prompt (the "0 >" above)
    2. Without reinstalling anything, was able to boot the SLES 11 SP1 installed with IBM Installation Toolkit
    3. The system booted perfectly and you could use it
    4. Eventually, you rebooted the server
    5. The original boot problem happened again 

C. Is this correct?

Finally: 

1. You reinstalled SLES 11 SP1, now without toolkit 
    2. There were no boot problems
    3. Whenever you reboot the server, no boot problems occur 

D. Is this correct? 

Thanks, 
    Rodrigo
  • willschm
    willschm
    47 Posts

‏2012-04-23T14:33:01Z  
    Please also respond to Rodrigo's questions. :-)

> however we have to repeat this every time the server boots, some how the
    > NVRAM keeps getting reset. I scraped this install and installed without the
    > Tool Kit, the install completed successfully.

I'll guess that yaboot is getting confused and resetting the real-base value during boot, which then trips itself up on the next iteration.  Are you noticing firmware restarting multiple times during boot?   (This appears as a "calling ibm,client-architecture-support..." message followed by a repeat of the SMS/yaboot boot messages).

When I've seen similar behavior in the past, (specifically on power6 blades) I've tended to manually set the real-base value to something far enough out of the way that it (firmware/yaboot) does not try to reset itself.     i.e.

0 > setenv real-base  6000000
    or
    0  > setenv real-base 8000000

Your mileage and behavior may vary, of course.  If the system refuses to boot after manually setting the value,  a wipe-nvram and retry with another value may be in order.
  • CMcGee
    CMcGee
    9 Posts

‏2012-04-23T14:42:14Z  
    Hello,

So what you did was: 

1. Boot the server with the IBM Installation Toolkit DVD 
    2. Used it to start an installation of SLES 11 SP1 
    3. The machine rebooted 
    4. The OS installation was correctly done
    5. The machine rebooted again
    6. Boot problems

A. Is this correct? 

The boot problem was *exactly* the one described at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/LinuxP/Claim+failed+for+initrd+error+with+SUSE? In other words:

boot: linux
    Please wait, loading kernel...
    Elf64 kernel loaded...
    Loading ramdisk...
    Claim failed for initrd memory
    ramdisk load failed !
    ENTER called ok
    0 > 

B. Is this correct? 

After the boot problem, you did:

1. Run "dev nvram" and "wipe-nvram" on the OpenFirmware prompt (the "0 >" above)
    2. Without reinstalling anything, was able to boot the SLES 11 SP1 installed with IBM Installation Toolkit
    3. The system booted perfectly and you could use it
    4. Eventually, you rebooted the server
    5. The original boot problem happened again 

C. Is this correct?

Finally: 

1. You reinstalled SLES 11 SP1, now without toolkit 
    2. There were no boot problems
    3. Whenever you reboot the server, no boot problems occur 

D. Is this correct? 

Thanks, 
    Rodrigo
     Hi Rodrigo, The answer is Yes for ABC and D.
    I think the Tool Kit incorrectly writes the yaboot in this case.
    I have been able to install with the Tool Kit on Power 6 with no issues at all.  We are migrating to the Power 7 hardware and came to these issues.
    I have a different RAID card coming on Thursday and I'm going to try the install with and without the Tool Kit to see if the issues is with a specific card or not.
  • CMcGee
    CMcGee
    9 Posts

‏2012-04-23T14:45:00Z  
    • willschm
    • ‏2012-04-23T14:33:01Z
    Please also respond to Rodrigo's questions. :-)

> however we have to repeat this every time the server boots, some how the
    > NVRAM keeps getting reset. I scraped this install and installed without the
    > Tool Kit, the install completed successfully.

I'll guess that yaboot is getting confused and resetting the real-base value during boot, which then trips itself up on the next iteration.  Are you noticing firmware restarting multiple times during boot?   (This appears as a "calling ibm,client-architecture-support..." message followed by a repeat of the SMS/yaboot boot messages).

When I've seen similar behavior in the past, (specifically on power6 blades) I've tended to manually set the real-base value to something far enough out of the way that it (firmware/yaboot) does not try to reset itself.     i.e.

0 > setenv real-base  6000000
    or
    0  > setenv real-base 8000000

Your mileage and behavior may vary, of course.  If the system refuses to boot after manually setting the value,  a wipe-nvram and retry with another value may be in order.
     Hi willschm, it would seem that the Tool Kit incorrectly writes the yaboot file as when the SuSE install write the yaboot I have no issue booting.  I did notice the multiple firmware restarting.