Topic
  • 13 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-15T19:43:23Z by robberendt
robberendt
robberendt
27 Posts

Pinned topic How do I modify UPS settings on suse Linux running on Power 6?

‏2013-07-30T14:16:24Z |

I am a newbie and know practically nothing about linux.  I am an IBM i guy.  I have four lpars of IBM i and one lpar of suse linux running on one of my power 6 boxes.  Main application on the linux lpar is Tivoli Storage Manager.

On IBM i, you can control how your system reacts to your UPS going on battery power by a series of system values:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzakz/rzakzpoweroverview.htm

I set these system values and flipped the big arm feeding the UPS.  IBM i handled this well.  I didn't keep it long enough for the QUPSDLYTIM value to start shutting down the IBM i lpars.  I discovered that the suse linux lpar shut itself down.  How do I adjust the time in between the UPS going on battery power and before suse linux shuts itself down?

We had the UPS off for 10 minutes and it still had 55 minutes of juice left.  It has a few dozen batteries.

• k0da
    k0da
    49 Posts

Re: How do I modify UPS settings on suse Linux running on Power 6?

‏2013-07-30T20:02:28Z  

I don't know what kind of UPS do you have, but there is a package named "apcupsd" to control APC devices.

If you don't have it installed, you could do "sudo zypper install apcupsd"

here is documentation for that project http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/manual.html

• robberendt
    robberendt
    27 Posts

‏2013-07-30T20:21:44Z  
    • k0da
    • ‏2013-07-30T20:02:28Z

I don't know what kind of UPS do you have, but there is a package named "apcupsd" to control APC devices.

If you don't have it installed, you could do "sudo zypper install apcupsd"

here is documentation for that project http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/manual.html

I have no doubt that the UPS is currently being monitored successfully.  It's not that I need a driver for any particular kind of UPS.  After all, it was the successful processing of the signal from the UPS that got the OS to power itself off.  What I want to know is how to adjust the time between when the signal was sent and before the OS powers itself off.  For example, you get a signal that says something like "System utility power failed at such and such a date and time".  And if your power gets restored before a certain time interval your OS will get a message something like "System utility power restored at such and such a date and time".  So there's a timer in there that waits for the second message.  If it doesn't receive it before that timer expires then it shuts itself down.  How do I adjust that timer?

• k0da
    k0da
    49 Posts

‏2013-08-01T15:40:12Z  

I have no doubt that the UPS is currently being monitored successfully.  It's not that I need a driver for any particular kind of UPS.  After all, it was the successful processing of the signal from the UPS that got the OS to power itself off.  What I want to know is how to adjust the time between when the signal was sent and before the OS powers itself off.  For example, you get a signal that says something like "System utility power failed at such and such a date and time".  And if your power gets restored before a certain time interval your OS will get a message something like "System utility power restored at such and such a date and time".  So there's a timer in there that waits for the second message.  If it doesn't receive it before that timer expires then it shuts itself down.  How do I adjust that timer?

What kind of UPS do you have? (vendor/modelname)

• robberendt
    robberendt
    27 Posts

‏2013-08-01T16:49:35Z  
    • k0da
    • ‏2013-08-01T15:40:12Z

What kind of UPS do you have? (vendor/modelname)

Leibert AP341

• k0da
    k0da
    49 Posts

‏2013-08-02T08:27:33Z  

Leibert AP341

Oh for that UPS there is a nut package. It should be installed and running by default (that's why it works for you.)

http://www.networkupstools.org/

Man page says that liebert driver doesn't support any extra settings in ups.conf but you can try (there are should be options available which you wanted)

• robberendt
    robberendt
    27 Posts

‏2013-08-02T11:50:34Z  
    • k0da
    • ‏2013-08-02T08:27:33Z

Oh for that UPS there is a nut package. It should be installed and running by default (that's why it works for you.)

http://www.networkupstools.org/

Man page says that liebert driver doesn't support any extra settings in ups.conf but you can try (there are should be options available which you wanted)

Ok, it's starting to click.  If it is using nut then my interpretation of their man pages is that I need to look at the upsmon.conf and modify

FINALDELAY seconds

Now, with my almost total lack of knowledge of Linux I have to find, and edit, this file.

• k0da
    k0da
    49 Posts

‏2013-08-02T12:10:12Z  

Ok, it's starting to click.  If it is using nut then my interpretation of their man pages is that I need to look at the upsmon.conf and modify

FINALDELAY seconds

Now, with my almost total lack of knowledge of Linux I have to find, and edit, this file.

<your favorite editor> /etc/ups/upsmon.conf

• robberendt
    robberendt
    27 Posts

‏2013-08-02T14:08:58Z  
    • k0da
    • ‏2013-08-02T12:10:12Z

<your favorite editor> /etc/ups/upsmon.conf

hqlinux2:/var/mail # cd /
    hqlinux2:/ # cd etc
    hqlinux2:/etc # cd ups
    -bash: cd: ups: No such file or directory

• k0da
    k0da
    49 Posts

‏2013-08-02T14:21:33Z  

hqlinux2:/var/mail # cd /
    hqlinux2:/ # cd etc
    hqlinux2:/etc # cd ups
    -bash: cd: ups: No such file or directory

oh.. zypper in nut-classic :)