Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-25T17:46:18Z by OldIBMer
OldIBMer
OldIBMer
3 Posts

Pinned topic Can RAD Import Java Source From IBM VisualAge for Java Repository

‏2014-02-13T22:19:20Z |

I have a Java application that I wrote back in 2001 using IBM VisualAge for Java. The computer with VAJ is long gone, and I haven't been able to find a download or CD of VAJ that I could reinstall. I do have a copy of the VAJ repository, ivj.dat, that should still have the complete source (I can download the jar file from the web site, but that only contains the .class files). Can Rational Application Developer read and/or import the java files from the repository, or is there any other way someone can suggest to recover the source code? I've already tried Eclipse, which was a follow-on from VAJ, but that doesn't seem to offer the option of importing from a VAJ repository.

• OldIBMer
    OldIBMer
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Can RAD Import Java Source From IBM VisualAge for Java Repository

‏2014-02-25T17:46:18Z  
    • kksingh
    • ‏2014-02-25T11:58:09Z

HI,

Unfortunate that I am also unable to find the installer :(

In case I find the same will update.

Regards,

Under the category of "Never Throw Anything Out" I dug through some old programming books of mine and, would you believe that I found a book "Websphere Starter Kit" that included a CD. On the CD was an evaluation copy of VA Java 3.0! I fired up my Windows XP VMWare session on my Ubuntu system, started the CD, installed VAJ, rebooted, started it up, and it easily imported my project from my old ivj.dat file, and I was able to export all the .java, and .class files to my Linux system for further development. I'll be sure to save the CD in case anyone else has the same problem.

• kksingh
    kksingh
    32 Posts

‏2014-02-24T09:19:18Z  

Hi,

I do not think there is way to achieve this directly in RAD. However if there are any thirdparty plugins for eclipse which will allow you to do this you could try.

Again the third party plugin provider will have to give you support for the same.

Regards,

• OldIBMer
    OldIBMer
    3 Posts

‏2014-02-24T13:31:42Z  
    • kksingh
    • ‏2014-02-24T09:19:18Z

Hi,

I do not think there is way to achieve this directly in RAD. However if there are any thirdparty plugins for eclipse which will allow you to do this you could try.

Again the third party plugin provider will have to give you support for the same.

Regards,

No luck in finding an Eclipse plugin. Is there any way to get a copy of Visualage for Java? I have an old Windows XP running in VMWare Workstation, so if I could get a copy of VAJ I could install it in that and export the java files from the repository. I've looked for downloads but no luck there.

• kksingh
    kksingh
    32 Posts

‏2014-02-25T11:58:09Z  
    • OldIBMer
    • ‏2014-02-24T13:31:42Z

No luck in finding an Eclipse plugin. Is there any way to get a copy of Visualage for Java? I have an old Windows XP running in VMWare Workstation, so if I could get a copy of VAJ I could install it in that and export the java files from the repository. I've looked for downloads but no luck there.

HI,

Regards,

• OldIBMer
    OldIBMer
    3 Posts

‏2014-02-25T17:46:18Z  
    • kksingh
    • ‏2014-02-25T11:58:09Z

HI,

Regards,

Under the category of "Never Throw Anything Out" I dug through some old programming books of mine and, would you believe that I found a book "Websphere Starter Kit" that included a CD. On the CD was an evaluation copy of VA Java 3.0! I fired up my Windows XP VMWare session on my Ubuntu system, started the CD, installed VAJ, rebooted, started it up, and it easily imported my project from my old ivj.dat file, and I was able to export all the .java, and .class files to my Linux system for further development. I'll be sure to save the CD in case anyone else has the same problem.