• 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-15T03:41:32Z by arronla
mattiasgreen
mattiasgreen
5 Posts

Pinned topic Configuring, extending or writing Navigator widgets from scratch

‏2013-10-14T14:52:25Z |
Hi,

We are looking for best practices to add our own custom widget above the item properties area, either by extending the ItemPropertiesDisplayPane widget or by adding our own widget. By extending the sample code in SampleItemPropertiesPaneExtension, we have managed to add a custom properties pane for the edit mode, but we need to do the same thing for the view mode.

We are also looking at a solution to extend/modify the appearance of the BrowsePane and ContentList widgets.

As you see in the two attached mockups, we want to replace the action toolbar above the ContentList with a custom widget and also add a custom widget above the item properties area. What would be the best approach to achieve these goals?

Should we:
1) Extend the BrowsePane Dojo widget and override/add behavior or other widgets
2) Copy the BrowsePane Dojo widget and directly change the code
3) Create our own from scratch and add FolderTree, ContentList, etc.

We want to make sure that all customization is done "the Navigator way", as much as possible. If there are coming changes to Navigator that will allow for more configuration of widgets instead of extension/custom/composition, we will of course prefer that.

Thanks,
Mattias
  • arronla
    arronla
    92 Posts

Re: Configuring, extending or writing Navigator widgets from scratch

‏2013-10-15T03:41:32Z  

This is just my opinion.  I would create a new Browse feature that extends the BrowsePane or create a BrowsePane that is very similar.  The BrowsePane consists of just the FolderTree + ContentList widget (Toolbar, Grid, and PropertiesPane) only, and code to basically hook them up.  I would just add both widgets above the ContentList that way.