Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-26T15:15:04Z by ord_mike
ord_mike
ord_mike
7 Posts

Pinned topic x3550 M4 Server 2012 Intel NIC drivers?

‏2013-08-28T18:20:46Z |

Has IBM released Windows Server 2012 drivers for the built in Intel NICs? My 7914-AC1 server has:

4 builtin Intel I350 NICs  (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1521&SUBSYS_15218086&REV_01)

1 PCI dual port Intel I340-T2 (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1516&SUBSYS_12B28086&REV_01)

When I search the IBM downloads page for this server, it has Broadcom drivers for 2012 but nothing for Intel NICs yet. The NICs are functioning with Microsoft drivers, but I would like to load the mfg specific drivers for them.

• DaveQ
    DaveQ
    132 Posts

Re: x3550 M4 Server 2012 Intel NIC drivers?

‏2013-08-28T22:48:38Z  

Hi,

The current Intel NIC software package is listed as "v18.3 sw CD release for System x Intel-based Ethernet" on the downloads page under the Network section.

Readme:
    http://delivery04.dhe.ibm.com/sar/CMA/XSA/03ybb/0/intc_sw_nic_v18.3-cd_anyos_32-64.txt

You can also use UpdateXpress locally on the server to query for applicable drivers.

UpdateXpress
    http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=serv-xpress

Use "UpdateXpress System Pack Installer for Microsoft Windows". Based on your policies, select either the System Pack or Latest Updates option.

Hope this helps,

Dave

• ord_mike
    ord_mike
    7 Posts

‏2013-08-29T15:02:46Z  
    • DaveQ
    • ‏2013-08-28T22:48:38Z

Hi,

The current Intel NIC software package is listed as "v18.3 sw CD release for System x Intel-based Ethernet" on the downloads page under the Network section.

Readme:
    http://delivery04.dhe.ibm.com/sar/CMA/XSA/03ybb/0/intc_sw_nic_v18.3-cd_anyos_32-64.txt

You can also use UpdateXpress locally on the server to query for applicable drivers.

UpdateXpress
    http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=serv-xpress

Use "UpdateXpress System Pack Installer for Microsoft Windows". Based on your policies, select either the System Pack or Latest Updates option.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

I downloaded the Intel ISO 'v18.3 sw CD' that you mentioned. When I try to view the ISO contents with 7 Zip, I don't see the CD contents like I would expect. All the ISO contains is a file 'intc_sw_nic_v18.3-cd_anyos_32-64' and I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with this file. If I mount the ISO with Daemon tools, I get an error that the image is corrupted. I tried downloading a 2nd copy, same result. I'll try the UpdateExpress builder hopefully that works better.

• DaveQ
    DaveQ
    132 Posts

‏2013-08-29T15:50:19Z  
    • ord_mike
    • ‏2013-08-29T15:02:46Z

I downloaded the Intel ISO 'v18.3 sw CD' that you mentioned. When I try to view the ISO contents with 7 Zip, I don't see the CD contents like I would expect. All the ISO contains is a file 'intc_sw_nic_v18.3-cd_anyos_32-64' and I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with this file. If I mount the ISO with Daemon tools, I get an error that the image is corrupted. I tried downloading a 2nd copy, same result. I'll try the UpdateExpress builder hopefully that works better.

If it's just the drivers you're after, running UpdateXpress locally to compare and perform updates (which you select) should suffice. For 2012, use the 9.40 Windows variant and just follow the prompts. I suggest looking for Latest Updates when you are presented with the option. The UpdateXpress installer will detect firmware and drivers for all of the server components, not just the NICs.

The NIC software CD will contain other Intel programs specific to their cards. I too tried the ISO and assume it's corrupted at the source.

Dave

• ord_mike
    ord_mike
    7 Posts

‏2013-08-29T17:07:21Z  
    • DaveQ
    • ‏2013-08-29T15:50:19Z

If it's just the drivers you're after, running UpdateXpress locally to compare and perform updates (which you select) should suffice. For 2012, use the 9.40 Windows variant and just follow the prompts. I suggest looking for Latest Updates when you are presented with the option. The UpdateXpress installer will detect firmware and drivers for all of the server components, not just the NICs.

The NIC software CD will contain other Intel programs specific to their cards. I too tried the ISO and assume it's corrupted at the source.

Dave

Still having an issue. I ran UpdateExpress on my workstation, and downloaded all the updates for a 7914 server to my C: drive. Then copied the update folder to my server. Then I ran UpdateExpress on my server, and pointed it at the Updates folder. It's finding several needed updates, but no Intel NIC drivers are suggested or available.

I thought this was odd from the beginning, because I used a new build of ServerGuide to install the OS, and it did not install the drivers as the OS was being installed.

• SRajagopal
    SRajagopal
    4 Posts

‏2013-09-02T10:23:31Z  
    • ord_mike
    • ‏2013-08-29T15:02:46Z

Dear Mike,

I myself Tried this Version of V18.3 Intel Package on windows 2008,I would suggest you to burn the .iso image on a CD and use it to update the drivers. It will also provide NIC teming option also.

Un-zipping the .iso doesn't work. Hope this Helps you out.Good Luck.

Regards,

SRG.

• ord_mike
    ord_mike
    7 Posts

‏2013-09-03T21:07:32Z  

Dear Mike,

I myself Tried this Version of V18.3 Intel Package on windows 2008,I would suggest you to burn the .iso image on a CD and use it to update the drivers. It will also provide NIC teming option also.

Un-zipping the .iso doesn't work. Hope this Helps you out.Good Luck.

Regards,

SRG.

Hi SRG,

On your advice, I burned the ISO to a CD. Also, I downloaded a new copy of it from IBM's support site before burning. When I put the CD in the server, or my workstation, there is nothing on the CD. Disc properties show 0 bytes free, 0 bytes used. Also the server displayed an error saying the disc is corrupted when I tried to navigate to the CD in Windows Explorer. The mystery continues...

• SRajagopal
    SRajagopal
    4 Posts

‏2013-09-04T11:25:39Z  
    • ord_mike
    • ‏2013-09-03T21:07:32Z

Hi SRG,

On your advice, I burned the ISO to a CD. Also, I downloaded a new copy of it from IBM's support site before burning. When I put the CD in the server, or my workstation, there is nothing on the CD. Disc properties show 0 bytes free, 0 bytes used. Also the server displayed an error saying the disc is corrupted when I tried to navigate to the CD in Windows Explorer. The mystery continues...

Dear Mike,

May I am know are you trying to burn the .iso image on a Re-writable disk??? I myself also when tried to burn the image to Re-writable disk didn't workout and after burning the CD had no contents in it...Only when a Fresh Blank CD was used to create the disk it worked out for me.

Hope this helps you out.

Regards,

SRG.

• ord_mike
    ord_mike
    7 Posts

‏2013-09-04T17:06:20Z  

Dear Mike,

May I am know are you trying to burn the .iso image on a Re-writable disk??? I myself also when tried to burn the image to Re-writable disk didn't workout and after burning the CD had no contents in it...Only when a Fresh Blank CD was used to create the disk it worked out for me.

Hope this helps you out.

Regards,

SRG.

Yes, I tried both a CD-RW and a CD-R. Neither one worked for me.

• ord_mike
    ord_mike
    7 Posts

‏2013-09-26T15:15:04Z  

IBM released a new driver package a few days ago that works. It's a self extracting exe that contains drivers for both model Intel NICs my server has.

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=migr-5087582