7 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-09-25T16:37:51Z by OpherB
SunRajPS
SunRajPS
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IBM Cognos Active Report 10.1.1 export to PDF,XLS

‏2013-06-21T11:20:55Z |

Hi Guru..

Last week I've start working on IBM Cognos 10.1.1 Active Report. And I've created few reports which work fine in the web browser.

Here my question is, I want to export the active reports in other format like PDF, XLS and CSV.

Could you please assist, how to export active report in other format, apart from MHT file?

And also please share the limitation/drawbacks of Active Report.    Thanks in advance ....!!

Thanks

Rajkumar

• OpherB
    OpherB
    540 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IBM Cognos Active Report 10.1.1 export to PDF,XLS

‏2013-06-21T16:51:13Z  in response to SunRajPS

Maybe you should have asked about limitations and drawbacks before you started...

You cannot export Active Reports. They are a unitary format, with data and layout in one file.

Other limits: In 10.1.1 it will only hold about 20MB. In 10.2.1 which was just released last week, the limit is closer to 200MB.

Drawbacks: It's very time consuming to name every object property and define all formats as classes. Also, most of the objects are unique to Active Reports, so even if you are familiar with Report Studio there is a lot to learn.

Good luck,
    Opher

• SunRajPS
      SunRajPS
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-22T05:54:00Z  in response to OpherB

First of all, I will thanks Oper.

Do we have any supporting document or information from IBM Cognos for the Limitations and Drawbacks (like Size, Access, use of objects etc.)

Could any body can share the document/information, if you got. Thanks once again in advance...!!

Thanks

Rajkumar

• Aaddaganti
      Aaddaganti
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-09T14:51:44Z  in response to OpherB

Very informative article!
      Just one question: Active reports create MHT files, and we are having trouble with our user base opening the mHT files from browsers other than IE. Is there any workaround for that? I saw someone talking about javascript to convert to PDF, is that an option? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• OpherB
        OpherB
        540 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-09T18:49:47Z  in response to Aaddaganti

MHT is a Microsoft format and so far no other browser supports it.

I have seen nothing about conversions to PDF, but even if that is possible in Javascript, you'll have to do that after Cognos produces the MHT file - outside of Cognos.

Good luck,
        Opher

• charon_ms
          charon_ms
          1 Post
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-25T07:35:37Z  in response to OpherB

Hi Opher,

as far as i know MHT(ML) is not a Microsoft format. Also, other Browsers are capable of supporting MHTML, opera e.g. Firefox can with a plug-in (just google for it), the only Browser i know that does not support MHTML at all is Safari, but because of the high market share of apple products there is a special app in  itunes für Iphones/ especially IPADS to connect to ur BI server and run active reports as well.

Concerning the export to pdf i agree with you, it is not a native functionality. I think you can do it with some Javascript, not the best solution though.

BUT: You can design your active report that its fits exaclty 1 dina4 page e.g., then your able to use a third party tool like "freepdf" and print it as pdf.

regards

charon