Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-05-16T08:39:58Z by tomliotta
tomliotta
tomliotta
7 Posts

Pinned topic DS 4.1.0.1 DB2 for i debug of a UDF?

‏2014-04-25T05:28:15Z |

I can deploy and debug SQL stored procs with Data Studio 4.1.0.1 to DB2 on i 6.1. The feature is a nice alternative to native methods of debugging similar stored procs.

But so far there are no steps I can figure out that lead to the same debug capability for SQL UDFs on DB2 for i 6.1. Deploying reports success, including a status message saying "Deploy for debug successful."

But then what? How is the UDF actually debugged?

There are so many options, features, configurations, perspectives, preferences, etc., that it's difficult to be sure how I manage to get anything at all to run on the server. A stored proc turned out to be fairly straightforward to get DS to call, but a UDF apparently needs some statement that references it to be created and submitted. Getting that done via debug doesn't seem obvious.

Tom

• Stony
    Stony
    8 Posts

Re: DS 4.1.0.1 DB2 for i debug of a UDF?

‏2014-05-15T03:29:48Z  

Hi,Tom,

1. The process to debug UDF is the same with debugging a stored procedure, let me double confirm with you if you follow the right steps:

Create a "Data Development Project"  in "Data Project Explorer"-> Create a stored procedure under "Stored Procedures" folder(or a UDF under "User-Defined Functions" folder) -> Deploy with debug enabled -> Right click on the stored procedure or UDF you just deployed, click "Debug" -> the debug process will launch.

2. In order to debug a UDF, please make sure the UDF is not ATOMIC.

3. I am not sure whether Data Studio support debugging UDF on i6.1, could you have a change to test if you can debug UDF on i7.2. I remember DS support debugging UDF on i7.2

• Stony
    Stony
    8 Posts

‏2014-05-15T05:56:51Z  

I double checked the release of Data Studio 4.1 and 4.1.0.1

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27038173

Support for DB2 for i version 7.1:

• Support for syntax checking of DB2 for i version 7.1.
    • Support for creating deploying and debugging SQL UDFs.

Data Studio claimed support UDF debugging for version i 7.1.

• tomliotta
    tomliotta
    7 Posts

‏2014-05-16T08:39:58Z  
    • Stony
    • ‏2014-05-15T05:56:51Z

I double checked the release of Data Studio 4.1 and 4.1.0.1

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27038173

Support for DB2 for i version 7.1:

• Support for syntax checking of DB2 for i version 7.1.
    • Support for creating deploying and debugging SQL UDFs.

Data Studio claimed support UDF debugging for version i 7.1.

Okay, the i 7.1 support for UDFs makes sense. I can't quite upgrade from i 6.1 yet,  but it should happen in the near future. I'll run through it again when that happens.

Thanks, especially for a link to the What's New document.

Tom