• 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-16T22:15:22Z by peter.tat
peter.tat
peter.tat
3 Posts

Pinned topic EDS Field population

‏2013-06-11T17:47:39Z |

Hello,

I'm new to the ICN environment, so I'm sorry if these are easy questions to answer.

I'm trying to extend functionality on the default properties section of the adding documents action. I'd like to query based on a field, then update the rest with the results. There should be no other changes, just that switching fields in the properties section will execute the query. If my understanding is correct (based on the ICN customization redbook), I'll need a plugin .jar file which calls the service, and the EDS service .war file which will handle the field updating. 

Where should the query be run from? Is there anything that I'm missing? Am I wrong in thinking that the field updating should be defined in the .war file?

Thanks!

• damorris
    damorris
    794 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: EDS Field population

‏2013-06-25T11:13:27Z  
    • peter.tat
    • ‏2013-06-24T18:58:53Z

Thank you for your reply Nicolas.

I'm all set with the EDS service and plugin. However, I'm still unsure which extension point will allow me to execute the service methods when shifting focus (tab, mouse click, enter, etc) from fields. Is this possible with the EDS plugin/service or does this functionality require a complete rewrite as a new action?

The standard EDS service does not fire for most of the events you listed for performance reasons.  If you need to do something more interactive there, leaving performance concerns aside, you'd need to look at a custom response filter with some custom UI logic.

• nicolas.leralle
    nicolas.leralle
    100 Posts

‏2013-06-12T07:40:18Z  

Hi Peter,

You need two things :

• edsPlugin.jar, provided with ICN, which defines the plugin in Content Navigator.
    • EDSService.war, (you can based it on the "sampleEDSService" application provided with ICN), wich is the connector to your target information system.

When configuring "edsPlugin.jar" in ICN, you'll provide the URL to your EDSService.war.

You EDSService.war has at least two Servlets :

• GetObjectTypesServlet => Defines the classes / step processors... where the EDS will be used by returning to ICN a JSON response
    • UpdateObjectTypeServlet => Defines the custom behavior of your fields

Please have a look on the Redbook where all those steps are explained : http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg248055.html

Best regards,

Nicolas

• peter.tat
    peter.tat
    3 Posts

‏2013-06-24T18:58:53Z  

Hi Peter,

You need two things :

• edsPlugin.jar, provided with ICN, which defines the plugin in Content Navigator.
    • EDSService.war, (you can based it on the "sampleEDSService" application provided with ICN), wich is the connector to your target information system.

When configuring "edsPlugin.jar" in ICN, you'll provide the URL to your EDSService.war.

You EDSService.war has at least two Servlets :

• GetObjectTypesServlet => Defines the classes / step processors... where the EDS will be used by returning to ICN a JSON response
    • UpdateObjectTypeServlet => Defines the custom behavior of your fields

Please have a look on the Redbook where all those steps are explained : http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg248055.html

Best regards,

Nicolas

I'm all set with the EDS service and plugin. However, I'm still unsure which extension point will allow me to execute the service methods when shifting focus (tab, mouse click, enter, etc) from fields. Is this possible with the EDS plugin/service or does this functionality require a complete rewrite as a new action?

Updated on 2013-06-24T19:10:14Z at 2013-06-24T19:10:14Z by peter.tat
  • nicolas.leralle
    nicolas.leralle
    100 Posts

‏2013-06-24T21:28:01Z  
    • peter.tat

I sadly won't be helpful about this question, sorry. I let an expert gives you some clues.

Best regards,

Nicolas

• damorris
    damorris
    794 Posts

‏2013-06-25T11:13:27Z  
    • peter.tat

The standard EDS service does not fire for most of the events you listed for performance reasons.  If you need to do something more interactive there, leaving performance concerns aside, you'd need to look at a custom response filter with some custom UI logic.

• damorris
    damorris
    794 Posts

‏2013-07-09T01:37:51Z  
    • peter.tat

I've discussed this further with my team.  If we're understanding the requirements correctly, you may actually be able to accomplish this with EDS.

It seems you want to have one field value change and have that trigger other field values to be filled in during the add document path, correct?  If so, then the property would be indicated as "hasDependentProperties: true" and then an inProgressChanges call would be made to EDS when the property changes value.  Your EDS service could then fill in the other values.

• peter.tat
    peter.tat
    3 Posts

‏2013-07-16T22:15:22Z  
    • damorris
    • ‏2013-07-09T01:37:51Z

I've discussed this further with my team.  If we're understanding the requirements correctly, you may actually be able to accomplish this with EDS.

It seems you want to have one field value change and have that trigger other field values to be filled in during the add document path, correct?  If so, then the property would be indicated as "hasDependentProperties: true" and then an inProgressChanges call would be made to EDS when the property changes value.  Your EDS service could then fill in the other values.

Thank you for your answers to my questions, Dana.

After researching further on my end, it seems as though the EDS is not the route I want to pursue after all due to needing a property data file for each class and all of their properties.

Instead, I'll be implementing custom UI logic along with a custom response filter. I'd like to extend the default content properties pane (can you clarify the name of this component?) to invoke a filtered service, which is then handled by my custom response filter. Is it possible to extend the properties pane so that it will listen to a specific field without individual property data files? Is the "hasDependentProperties: true" property the only way to make inProgressChanges from the default content properties pane? Or is it possible to write a custom widget to invoke the default Add Document action?

Thanks again!

Updated on 2013-07-16T22:18:11Z at 2013-07-16T22:18:11Z by peter.tat