• Latest Post - ‏2012-06-15T13:12:22Z by thib
PowerLinuxTeam
PowerLinuxTeam
9 Posts

Pinned topic Fedora 17 on Power : / is read-only

‏2012-06-13T12:12:05Z |
 From Thibaud.

Hi there, 

I installed Fedora 17 on a POWER7 blade with virtual DVD from IVM. It ran smoothly, but IP address is provided by DHCP, which I want to change. 

For some reason, I can't edit    
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
because / is mounted in read-only mode. How come ? Of course, I am logged as root...

Please advise on how to fix this. 

Thibaud.  
Updated on 2012-06-15T13:12:22Z at 2012-06-15T13:12:22Z by thib
  • willschm
    willschm
    47 Posts

Re: Fedora 17 on Power : / is read-only

‏2012-06-13T14:09:56Z  
     > because / is mounted in read-only mode. How come ?

"dmesg | grep mount "  and "cat /etc/fstab"  should give some clue as to why.  

"/" will initially be mounted readonly (ro), then remounted readwrite (rw) as part of the boot process.  Contents of dmesg should reflect that process.

-  If there are drive errors, it may then be remounted as ro, and be in the state you are in now.  
    - It is also possible the fstab has an error and/or has been tinkered with such that the readwrite mount option does not exist.

>  Please advise on how to fix this.
    " mount -o remount,rw / "   should re-mount the drive as writeable if the drive is in a state that will allow it. 
  • mperzl
    mperzl
    1 Post

‏2012-06-13T14:11:23Z  
     Hmm, what is suspicious why the root filesystem is mounted read-only. I have successfully done an installation of Fedora 17 on a 7R2 (default settings) with no problems whatsoever.

Can you please try the following two things:
    1)
    2) Reboot and check if the root filesystem is still mounted read-only after a reboot

Does /var/log/messages and "dmesg" offer any hints?

Also check out:
    http://prefetch.net/blog/index.php/2011/08/29/remounting-linux-read-only-file-systems-read-write/
    and 
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/remount-root-filesystem-read-only-547908/

Regards,
    Michael
  • jscheel
    jscheel
    62 Posts

‏2012-06-13T14:13:57Z  
    Hey, great question. I'm sure folks here on the IBM side will take a look.

My recommendation is that you also post this question to the mailing list for the Fedora PowerPC community.  Their homepage is here.  That way you'll get the benefit not only of the IBM Team but the larger Fedora community, which for the record is very active!!!

If they fix it, please give us a pointer and/or tip to resolve this.  THANKS!
  • gustavold
    gustavold
    2 Posts

‏2012-06-13T14:42:20Z  
    As Will and Michael noted, the output of "dmesg" and the content of "/etc/fstab" would be helpful.
    Also, it would be good to see the output of "fdisk -l".

[]'s
    Gustavo 
  • ManasLTC
    ManasLTC
    1 Post

‏2012-06-14T08:45:19Z  
    We also do several installation for Fedroa 17 PPC64 builds. We have never seen any such issue after installation from IVM virtual DVD.
    Of-course there are  certain cases where IVM configured system goes to redonly mode , really it does not matter whether it is Fedora or RHEL or SUSE.
    For example , With a IVM managed system ,If somebody does any changes to IO adaptor  or some h/w changes to the server without getting the system shutdown , then root file system goes to read-only mode.
    We have seen this issue several time when LAB team added or removed I/O adaptor from our server.And after a reboot we were able to reclaim the system with read-write mode.
    I think a reboot may help you to reclaim.

Thanks...
    Manas
  • thib
    thib
    18 Posts

‏2012-06-15T13:12:22Z  
     folks,

thank you all for your help. I Rebooted  the server and all went back to normal.

great reactivity from the group, thanks again