IC SunsetThe developerWorks Connections platform will be sunset on December 31, 2019. On January 1, 2020, this forum will no longer be available. More details available on our FAQ.
Topic
  • 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-05-16T17:49:44Z by AndrewWheeler
Mic_Dan
Mic_Dan
1 Post

Pinned topic Can you have overlapping graphs: a boxplot for a group and a dotplot for an individual case?

‏2013-04-30T21:16:29Z | boxplot comparative-individual-to-group dot graphs overlapping plot

Hello,

I am trying to have a visual way of presenting an individual's case relative to the group's boxplot.  I know how to create the boxplot with overlaid dot plot, however the dots show all cases, and I want to find a way to show just the one selected case overtop the boxplot.

Example: I want to show an individual's test scores among the boxplot of the entire class, and repeat this process for every individual.

Is there a way?

Are there alternative ways to accomplishing this goal? 

Thank you for helping me with this.
Michael,
A University administrator.

• AndrewWheeler
    AndrewWheeler
    8 Posts

Re: Can you have overlapping graphs: a boxplot for a group and a dotplot for an individual case?

‏2013-05-16T17:49:44Z  

Attached is an example syntax file how one might do this. Essentially you can either make a chart one student at a time by making a seperate dummy variable in the dataset representing a student and mapping that category aesthetic to visible in the chart, or I provide alternative ways to use split files to generate charts for every individual student (either through reshaping the dataset to make copies of itself, or drawing the box plot yourself and using split files with the original dataset).

Attachments