Topic
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2013-07-17T14:56:29Z by PhilippeLaborie
s.st1led
s.st1led
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Modeling a variable number of variables

‏2013-07-16T22:46:11Z |

Hi everybody, I'm working on a CP model and I was wondering what is the best way to model a variable number of variables. Let's clarify with a minimal example. Suppose I have to model a set of n Jobs, where each Job j has a variable number of executions x(j), and each execution kj in [1, x(j)] has some properties, for instance a variable number of resources used r(kj), a variable duration d(kj), and so on. Then these jobs are subject to a set of constraints, for instance the sum of all durations for each job should be less than a threshold T1, and the sum of all resources for each execution should be above another threshold T2:

Shortly, I would like to do something like this:

range J = 1..n;

int min_executions[j in J] = ...;
    int max_executions[j in J] = ...;

int min_resources[j in J] = ...;
    int max_resources[j in J] = ...;

int min_duration[j in J] = ...;
    int max_duration[j in J] = ...;

dvar int X[j in J] in min_executions[j]..max_executions[j];
    dexpr int max_x = max(j in J) X[j]; // needed to specify a variable range for c2
    dvar int r[j in J][k in 1..X[j]] in min_resources[j in J]..max_resources[j in J];
    dvar int d[j in J][k in 1..X[j]] in min_duration[j in J]..max_duration[j in J];

subject to
    {
        forall(j in J)
            c1: sum(k in 1..X[j]) d[j, k] < T1;

forall(k in 1..max_x)
            c2: sum(j in J : k <= X[j]) r[j, k] > T2;
    }

Well, this is all broken for several reasons. First, I get an "Variable indexer size not allowed for a generic array" error when declaring r and d. This is because it looks like in OPL we can't declare arrays whose size is a variable. Second, I get a "Decision variable (or expression) "x" not allowed" error when declaring the constraint c2. This is because in OPL we can't have variables as part of expressions in aggregators. The best I can come up with is this solution that features a couple of workarounds:

tuple JobExecution {
        int job;
        int execution;
    }        

dvar int X[j in J] in min_executions[j]..max_executions[j];
    {JobExecution} K = {<j, x> | j in J, x in 1..max_executions[j]};

dvar int r[k in K] in min_resources[k.job]..max_resources[k.job];
    dvar int d[k in K] in min_duration[k.job]..max_duration[k.job];

subject to
{
        forall(j in J)
            c1: (sum(k in K) (k.job == j && k.execution <= X[j]) * d[k]) < T1;

forall(k in K)
            c2: (sum(j in J) (k. job == j && k.execution <= X[j]) * r[k]) > T2;
}

Semantically, this second version does what it's supposed to, but (to me) at a great computational cost.

The tuple set K indeed includes, for each Job j, the maximum number of executions j can have. This means that if the domain of X[j] is very large, there is a high chance that K will include a lot of tuples that will actually represent illegal task executions, i.e., task executions whose execution index is greater than the maximum number of executions for that task. For example, if task j1 can have 3..20 executions, and the solver assigns a value 5 to X[j1], then all the tuples of the form <1, 6> ... <1, 20> will represent illegal task executions.

This reflects over the arrays d and r, that will feature a lot of "useless" variables, whose value should not be taken into account when enforcing constraint, since their semantic is undefined (if a task has 5 executions, its 6th, 7th... 20th executions don't exist).

Furthermore, given the impossibility to state a conditional expression with a dexpr/dvar, c1 and c2 have to be formulated by encapsulating the condition as a multiplication with a boolean value, that in my experience is quite inefficient. It looks to me that every constraint should somehow include the condition k.execution <= X[k.job] either in form of implication (to filter a forall block), or in form of a boolean variable to multiply some quantity (to filter a sum/min/max aggregator).

forall(k in K)
            k.execution <= X[k.job]) => ??; // this right hand side would be a constraint, enforced only if k is a good tuple

...sum(k in K) (k.execution <= X[k.job]) * ??; // this right hand side would be some value, whose contribution to the sum is nonzero only if k is a good tuple

Or maybe, it could possibly be needed to "invalidate" in some way all of the bad tuples:

forall(k in K)
            k.execution > X[k.job]) => ??; // not sure what to do here

Is there any better/recommended way to solve this problem? I tried looking into the guide for built-in functions like inverse, allowedAssignments, forbiddenAssignments, and so on, but I'm not sure they can be used for what I need.

Regards,

Stefano

• PhilippeLaborie
    PhilippeLaborie
    17 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Modeling a variable number of variables

‏2013-07-17T14:56:29Z  in response to s.st1led

Hello,

Indeed, in OPL, variables can only be used in constraints or in expressions. They cannot be used to control the scope of a forall, Stated otherwise, the number of decision variables of the problem cannot depend on another decision variable.

If your model use integer variables, you will indeed have to condition the constraint on those "optional" integer variables with some meta-constraints like: boolean variable or expression => constraint.

Note that for scheduling problems, CP Optimizer provides another type of decision variable, namely interval variables, that implements this notion of "optionality" in the variable itself. You can think of an interval variable as the representation of an optional activity in a schedule. It can be executed or not (we say: present or not) in the solution, so there is a special value in the domain of the variable that represents this absence value. All constraints on interval variables specify how they behave when the interval is absent (this is in general quite intuitive). For instance, if in your problem you want to model a chain of at most max_executions[j] optional activities for which only the first ones are executed, you would do something like:

range J = 1..n;

int min_executions[j in J] = ...;
    int max_executions[j in J] = ...;
    int min_resources[j in J] = ...;
    int max_resources[j in J] = ...;
    int min_duration[j in J] = ...;
    int max_duration[j in J] = ...;

tuple JobExecution { int job; int execution; }        
    {JobExecution} K = {<j, x> | j in J, x in 1..max_executions[j]};

dvar interval op[k in K] optional size min_duration[k.job]..max_duration[k.job];

constraints {

for (j in J) {
        for (x in 1..max_executions[j]) {
          if (x<=min_executions[i]) {
            presenceOf(op[<j,x>); // First min_executions[i] intervals are necessarily executed
          } else if (1<x) {
            presenceOf(op[<j,x>) => presenceOf(op[<j,x-1>); // Only first intervals are executed
          }
          if (1<x) {
            endBeforeStart(op[<j,x-1>,op[<j,x>); // Chain of precedence constraints
          }
        }
      }

}

And then you can post any scheduling constraint on those optional interval variables. For instance for limiting some total resource usage at every time point:

sum(k in K) pulse(op[k], resources_quantity[k.job]) <= ResourceCapacity;

In the above case, if op[k] is absent it would not contribute to the resource usage. And precedence constraints like endBeforeStart are necessarily satisfied when some of their interval variables is absent.

Philippe