Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-07-21T17:49:44Z by yuri
dmr1
dmr1
12 Posts

Pinned topic compilation of 3.5 on RHEL7 release candidate

‏2014-05-18T16:45:39Z |

Insert all the usual warnings: this would be completely unsupported by IBM, might cause data corruption, will cause cancer, etc.

Has anyone had any luck compiling the GPFS kernel modules on RHEL7? I've started poking around a bit and get the normal compilation errors one would expect. Before I put much time into working on them (mostly as an intellectual exercise), I figured I'd ask if anyone else has started playing around with it.

• yuri
    yuri
    277 Posts

Re: compilation of 3.5 on RHEL7 release candidate

‏2014-05-19T15:44:26Z  

Generally speaking, when something is "unsupported", it could mean "no one tried it, but it will probably work", but it could also mean "definitely won't work".  RHEL7 support is the case of the latter.  There are some very substantial changes in the kernel for this release, and significant GPFS changes are needed to in response.  I'd advise not wasting time on hacking the gpl layer, it's not likely to bear fruit.  We're working on it.

yuri

• t.m.king
    t.m.king
    1 Post

‏2014-07-21T11:57:42Z  
    • yuri
    • ‏2014-05-19T15:44:26Z

Generally speaking, when something is "unsupported", it could mean "no one tried it, but it will probably work", but it could also mean "definitely won't work".  RHEL7 support is the case of the latter.  There are some very substantial changes in the kernel for this release, and significant GPFS changes are needed to in response.  I'd advise not wasting time on hacking the gpl layer, it's not likely to bear fruit.  We're working on it.

yuri

Yuri

I'm getting a growing demand now for GPFS 3.5 support for RHEL7/Centos7. RHEL7 has been in release for 6 weeks now.

Admittedly I'm new to this, what would the normal lead time be for this?

With support for 3.x series kernels available for Debian etc, is this a major piece of work for IBM?

Will v3.5 support to be there or is it likely to only be 4.x?

Thanks.
    Tom

• yuri
    yuri
    277 Posts

‏2014-07-21T17:49:44Z  
    • t.m.king
    • ‏2014-07-21T11:57:42Z

Yuri

I'm getting a growing demand now for GPFS 3.5 support for RHEL7/Centos7. RHEL7 has been in release for 6 weeks now.

Admittedly I'm new to this, what would the normal lead time be for this?

With support for 3.x series kernels available for Debian etc, is this a major piece of work for IBM?

Will v3.5 support to be there or is it likely to only be 4.x?

Thanks.
    Tom

We fully appreciate the importance of supporting current Linux kernels.  As I said before, we're working on it, and making good progress.  IBM rules won't allow me to discuss future deliverables availability dates on a public forum, however, so I can't offer much more detail than that.

Yes, support for 3.x series kernels is a major piece of work for us, but we're doing it.  This is clearly important.

yuri