Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-08-30T18:51:24Z by PV41_Kirk_Bigelow
PV41_Kirk_Bigelow
PV41_Kirk_Bigelow
3 Posts

Pinned topic RHEL5.x yaboot.conf network install multiple ethernet interfaces

‏2012-08-29T03:15:24Z |
Currently network installing PPC machine with dhcp/tftp/http everything works great until a machine has multiple ethernet interface adapters.  The system start fine and loads the first linux boot loader in which it again request its IP information from the dhcp server.  Seen this same failure on intel machines with multiple ethernet adpater and was able to fix with the append option ksdevice=bootif and pxeboot "IPAPPEND 2" which pass the boot interface information to the boot loader so it uses the correct ethernet interface for the install process.  Was wondering if anyone knew how to pass this same network boot device info to the boot loader "vmlinux/initrd" for yaboot. This would allow the boot loader to know which network interface to use for the install.  RHEL6.x seem to have fixed this issue somehow but not sure setting "ksdevice=eth0" is a solid solution. Have only test with a single network connect on machines with multiple ethernet interfaces.  Would the RHEL5.x solution work for RHEL6.x also?        Thanks      Kirk Bigelow  
Updated on 2012-08-30T18:51:24Z at 2012-08-30T18:51:24Z by PV41_Kirk_Bigelow
  • RodrigoCruz
    RodrigoCruz
    11 Posts

Re: RHEL5.x yaboot.conf network install multiple ethernet interfaces

‏2012-08-29T14:31:40Z  
     Hello,

You could try using the IBM Installation Toolkit to get your RHEL5 installed:

If you do not want to, it seems that the boot option "ksdevice=" is what you are looking for:

Thanks, 
    Rodrigo 
  • PV41_Kirk_Bigelow
    PV41_Kirk_Bigelow
    3 Posts

‏2012-08-29T15:10:15Z  
     Hello,

You could try using the IBM Installation Toolkit to get your RHEL5 installed:

If you do not want to, it seems that the boot option "ksdevice=" is what you are looking for:

Thanks, 
    Rodrigo 
     Rodrigo,

Thanks for your response.  Looked at the redhat knowledge base document,  this contain no more information then the installation guide section of their released documents. 

I would look at the install toolkit but again this is a block box which may or may not resolve this problem.  Do you know is it based on yaboot or does it use its own boot strap loader?  Is this boot strap loader documented and is this document available for review?

Thanks, 

Kirk 
  • JesseLarrew
    JesseLarrew
    1 Post

‏2012-08-29T19:41:12Z  
     Rodrigo,

Thanks for your response.  Looked at the redhat knowledge base document,  this contain no more information then the installation guide section of their released documents. 

I would look at the install toolkit but again this is a block box which may or may not resolve this problem.  Do you know is it based on yaboot or does it use its own boot strap loader?  Is this boot strap loader documented and is this document available for review?

Thanks, 

Kirk 
     Hi Kirk!

The Fedora community documentation is often a good supplement for the official RHEL documentation. This wiki page documents the anaconda boot options in more detail:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda_Boot_Options

Specifically, here are the details for the ksdevice option:
    ksdevice
    Takes one of 4 types of argument which tells install what network device to use for kickstart from network:
    • An argument like 'eth0' naming a specific interface
    • An argument like 00:12:34:56:78:9a indicating the MAC address of a specific interface
    • The keyword 'link' indicating that the first interface with link up
    • The keyword 'bootif' indicating that the MAC address indicated by the BOOTIF command line option will be used to locate the boot interface. BOOTIF is automagically supplied by pxelinux when you include the option 'IPAPPEND 2' in your pxelinux.cfg file
    • The keyword 'ibft' - use device configured with MAC address in iBFT

If only one of your network interfaces is connected during the install, then you might try ksdevice=link. Whichever form you choose, just add this parameter to the list of options on the 'append' line in yaboot.conf, and anaconda will take care of the rest. :)

I hope this helps!

Jesse
  • RodrigoCruz
    RodrigoCruz
    11 Posts

‏2012-08-30T16:25:12Z  
     Rodrigo,

Thanks, 

Kirk 
     Kirk,

IBM Installation Toolkit uses yaboot but it should suffer from the same problem you reported.

IBM Installation Toolkit is a Live DVD. You boot it, run the  Linux installation wizard (during which you can choose which of your network interfaces to use) and at the end Linux should be installed on your server.

* IBM Installation Toolkit website:

IBM Installation Toolkit documentation:

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/lopdiags/installtools/install/UsersManual_IBMIT_521.pdf 

Let me know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 
    Rodrigo 
  • RodrigoCruz
    RodrigoCruz
    11 Posts

‏2012-08-30T16:26:52Z  
     Kirk,

IBM Installation Toolkit uses yaboot but it should suffer from the same problem you reported.

IBM Installation Toolkit is a Live DVD. You boot it, run the  Linux installation wizard (during which you can choose which of your network interfaces to use) and at the end Linux should be installed on your server.

* IBM Installation Toolkit website:

IBM Installation Toolkit documentation:

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/lopdiags/installtools/install/UsersManual_IBMIT_521.pdf 

Let me know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 
    Rodrigo 
     Sorry, where I said "but it should suffer from the same problem you reported", I actually meant "but it should *not* suffer from the same problem you reported".
  • PV41_Kirk_Bigelow
    PV41_Kirk_Bigelow
    3 Posts

‏2012-08-30T18:51:24Z  
     Sorry, where I said "but it should suffer from the same problem you reported", I actually meant "but it should *not* suffer from the same problem you reported".
     Thanks for the response and will give the install toolkit another look.  It sound like the install toolkit has a modified yahoot which somehow allows one to pass the boot interface info  to the linux boot loader.  I maybe able to rip the boot strap from the install toolkit and replace the one which comes with Redhat.  I have also asked the yaboot developes the same question and will see if they respond.  Will pass this info along if I get a response.    The goal here is to able to have a boot menu so one can select which OS and tag on apps to install when loading the machine for a test lab enviroment.  Would be great if we could capture the MAC information and pass that to the boot loader.   Thanks  Kirk