Topic
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-11-15T22:26:10Z by Joe McClure
WLPuser
WLPuser
7 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Websphere liberty profile with Apache Derby and Daytrader application

‏2013-11-13T20:24:57Z |

Hi All,

Has anyone been able to get the Daytrader application working on Websphere Liberty Profile with Apache Derby?

The application that is distributed comes with instructions to run the Jython scripts using wsadmin for Websphere Application Server. However, wsadmin is not available on Websphere Liberty Profile.

I have made changes to server.xml and specified the JDBC Datasource but it does not work. The JMS Datasources for the application also need to be specified in this file.

Does anyone have an example of a working server.xml for the Daytrader application for Websphere Liberty profile running with Apache Derby as a backend?

Thanks in advance.

• Joe McClure
    Joe McClure
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Websphere liberty profile with Apache Derby and Daytrader application

‏2013-11-14T04:02:22Z  in response to WLPuser

Hello,

I'm assuming you're using DayTrader 3 from the WebSphere Performance site. The attached server.xml example using Derby worked for me.

Attachments

• WLPuser
      WLPuser
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-14T15:21:00Z  in response to Joe McClure

Joe,

Thanks for the response - yes, Daytrader 3 from the performance website is being used.

I notice some slight differences between the xml I had created and yours. This will be very helpful - I will try the modifications and see if it works for me.

Thanks very much.

• WLPuser
      WLPuser
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-15T20:43:04Z  in response to Joe McClure

I was not able to get the application functioning it. When I try to repopulate the database from the daytrader application's configuration page, I keep seeing the following exceptions. Did you see this in your environment?

Error: TradeDirect:register -- error registering new user
          java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: Schema 'DBUSER' does not exist
      [11/15/13 15:38:06:791 EST] 0000006e SystemOut                                                    O java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: Schema 'DBUSER' does not exist
      [11/15/13 15:38:06:791 EST] 0000006e SystemOut                                                    O     at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
      [11/15/13 15:38:06:791 EST] 0000006e SystemOut                                                    O     at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
      [11/15/13 15:38:06:792 EST] 0000006e SystemOut                                                    O     at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source)
      [11/15/13 15:38:06:793 EST] 0000006e SystemOut                                                    O     at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown Source)
      [11/15/13 15:38:06:793 EST] 0000006e SystemOut                                                    O     at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source)
      [11/15/13 15:38:06:794 EST] 0000006e SystemOut                                                    O     at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.handleException(Unknown Source)

• Joe McClure
        Joe McClure
        5 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-15T21:05:18Z  in response to WLPuser

Hmm, no.

Two things to check,

1. Did you first click the (Re)-create DayTraderDatabase Tables and Indexes?

2. When you click on DayTrader Version, what does it say? If it is anything before 3.0.7, you should re-download the app.

• WLPuser
          WLPuser
          7 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-15T21:10:30Z  in response to Joe McClure

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I had done the Re-create DayTraderDatabase tables and indexes too and I forgot to mention earlier that the same exception shows up when that was run as well. And in the configuration for runtime parameters, I had set "Direct (JDBC)" instead of  Full EJB3.

The DayTrader Version shows the following:

IBM WebSphere Application Server Samples - DayTrader - EE6
          Full EE6 Spec Compliant for WebSphere 8.0
          Date: 20110215

• Joe McClure
            Joe McClure
            5 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-15T21:24:31Z  in response to WLPuser

ok, you want this version:
            IBM WebSphere Application Server Samples - DayTrader 3.0.7 (No Caching)
            Full EE6 Spec Compliant for WebSphere 8.5.5.0
            Date: 20130925

• WLPuser
              WLPuser
              7 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-15T21:37:37Z  in response to Joe McClure

Thanks.

This ftp link (which is what the IBM download site points to for Daytrader3) does not seem to be accessible:

ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/was/DayTrader3Install.zip

Is there any other link for the download?

Thanks for all your help.

• Joe McClure
                Joe McClure
                5 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-15T22:26:10Z  in response to WLPuser

I think this is the only place to obtain it. Hopefully it will work for you soon.