• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-20T21:08:18Z by HermannSW
smashyrahul
smashyrahul
390 Posts

Pinned topic DataPower protocol headers

‏2013-06-20T14:45:47Z |

Hello experts,

I have a question regarding the protocol headers which DataPower is sending to the backend.

In our case, the backend to the datapower is a RESTful web service.

I our case, we are sending an XML request to backend and I could see that DataPower is setting 'SOAPAction' protocol header in request.

with value( "" ).

1) What is the purpose of this header and if the bakcend application is RESTful service and not a SOAP, will this header cause any issues?

2) Also, DataPower is setting via header to a value '1.1 BQAAALMAAAA-' . It seems some kind of Garbage value or does it have any significance??

Regards,

Rahul

• HermannSW
    HermannSW
    4657 Posts

Re: DataPower protocol headers

‏2013-06-20T15:20:17Z  

Hello,

let me answer this one:

> 2) Also, DataPower is setting via header to a value '1.1 BQAAALMAAAA-' . It seems some kind of Garbage value or does it have any significance??
    >
    we simply have to follow the HTTP/1.1 spec for "via":
    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.45

DataPower typically acts as gateway of proxy.
    "... The Via general-header field MUST be used by gateways and proxies to indicate the intermediate protocols and recipients between the user agent and the server on requests, and between the origin server and the client on responses. ..."

And this:
    "... For organizations that have strong privacy requirements for hiding internal structures, a proxy MAY combine an ordered subsequence of Via header field entries with identical received-protocol values into a single such entry. ..."

So even under these strong privacy requirements at least one entry has to remain
    [not sure if "agencies" always comply to this spec requirement ;-) ].

One comment on the value "BQAAALMAAAA-" -- it is a "pseudonym" mentioned in the spec.

I know that because I fixed this Januar 2011 APAR (on 3.8.2) ...
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=2362&uid=swg1IC72912

Hermann<myXsltBlog/> <myXsltTweets/> <myCE/>

• smashyrahul
    smashyrahul
    390 Posts

‏2013-06-20T15:36:13Z  
    • HermannSW
    • ‏2013-06-20T15:20:17Z

Hello,

let me answer this one:

> 2) Also, DataPower is setting via header to a value '1.1 BQAAALMAAAA-' . It seems some kind of Garbage value or does it have any significance??
    >
    we simply have to follow the HTTP/1.1 spec for "via":
    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.45

DataPower typically acts as gateway of proxy.
    "... The Via general-header field MUST be used by gateways and proxies to indicate the intermediate protocols and recipients between the user agent and the server on requests, and between the origin server and the client on responses. ..."

And this:
    "... For organizations that have strong privacy requirements for hiding internal structures, a proxy MAY combine an ordered subsequence of Via header field entries with identical received-protocol values into a single such entry. ..."

So even under these strong privacy requirements at least one entry has to remain
    [not sure if "agencies" always comply to this spec requirement ;-) ].

One comment on the value "BQAAALMAAAA-" -- it is a "pseudonym" mentioned in the spec.

I know that because I fixed this Januar 2011 APAR (on 3.8.2) ...
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=2362&uid=swg1IC72912

Thanks Hermann,

The spec says that ' However, if the real host is considered to be sensitive information, it MAY be replaced by a pseudonym'

1) Where can it be defined if the real host is sensitive or not? Is it defined on the network level?

2) Is there any way we can convert this 'pseudonym' to the meaningful value in datapower?

Thanks,

Rahul

• HermannSW
    HermannSW
    4657 Posts

‏2013-06-20T21:08:18Z  

Thanks Hermann,

The spec says that ' However, if the real host is considered to be sensitive information, it MAY be replaced by a pseudonym'

1) Where can it be defined if the real host is sensitive or not? Is it defined on the network level?

2) Is there any way we can convert this 'pseudonym' to the meaningful value in datapower?

Thanks,

Rahul

Hi Rahul,

> However, if the real host is considered to be sensitive information, it MAY be replaced by a pseudonym.
    >
    as I read this, the "Host" in case of the MPGW via entry is the DataPower box itself.
    It is not cobfigurable to specify a name, and therefore this special via base64 names are created.
    And this "not providing insight" by name is in sync with the generic "default" fault responses.

You may want to create an ER if you want to be able to change this (https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe).