• 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-12-13T01:53:39Z by CJ0X_Paul_Reed
Nitin Singhal
Nitin Singhal
9 Posts

Pinned topic Best Pratices for Debug in IBM BPM

‏2013-08-16T07:49:34Z |

Hi All,

I would like to know , best practices for debug in production mode in IBM BPM. There is huge syslog to manually debug.

Thanks & Regards

Nitin Singhal

• kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

Re: Best Pratices for Debug in IBM BPM

‏2013-08-16T12:26:07Z  

Hi Nitin,

One shouldn't be debugging in "production" :-)

If you have moved your apps into production and something isn't behaving as expected I would start digging deeper into the failing area of the app.  Consider instrumenting your own applications with logging statements and other diagnosis aids.  See if the problem is reproducible and recreate under Process Inspector in Process Designer.  If it is a system failure, then note the date/time that the problem occurred and examine the SystemOut and SystemErr logs at those times to see if they provide any clues.

Neil

• RKataria
    RKataria
    61 Posts

‏2013-08-16T14:33:58Z  

Hi Kolban,

Do we have something like interactive debugger sort of thing or can we customize the logger in the BPM 8 so that we can logging data in our own files.

One way i can think of consuming the logger service (exposed as web or rest service in java). But that might result in performance of the over all process.

Do we have some pre built service by IBM that we can use or you can suggest some better solution?

I hope this is inline with Nitin query.

• AndrewPaier
    AndrewPaier
    795 Posts

‏2013-08-19T16:56:17Z  
    • RKataria
    • ‏2013-08-16T14:33:58Z

Hi Kolban,

Do we have something like interactive debugger sort of thing or can we customize the logger in the BPM 8 so that we can logging data in our own files.

One way i can think of consuming the logger service (exposed as web or rest service in java). But that might result in performance of the over all process.

Do we have some pre built service by IBM that we can use or you can suggest some better solution?

IBM's logging does not support the features you may be used to from Log4j where you can create custom files and then log specific sets of messages to those files.  So the answer to this question depends more on what you are trying to get from your logs.  If what you want to see is the messages created by IBM's developers, then you are pretty much stuck with this logging.  You can google "Websphere log analysis" to get some tools that may help you in this work.

If however what you would like to do is to write your own log messages created in your own code (services) in IBM BPM, then you can still leverage log4j. Since this is a topic that comes up frequently, I posted the base solution to my blog here.

Andrew Paier  |  Director  |  BP3 Global, Inc.
    BP3 Global's Website  |  Twitter  |  Linkedin  |  Google+  |  Blogs

• kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

‏2013-08-19T17:59:55Z  
    • RKataria
    • ‏2013-08-16T14:33:58Z

Hi Kolban,

There are a number of open requests for enhancement on the product, see:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=24109

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=21596

(For example).

We might want to review these and the other related items and see if we want to "vote them up" for more focused IBM attention.

Neil

• RKataria
    RKataria
    61 Posts

‏2013-08-20T17:21:44Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2013-08-19T17:59:55Z

There are a number of open requests for enhancement on the product, see:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=24109

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=21596

(For example).

We might want to review these and the other related items and see if we want to "vote them up" for more focused IBM attention.

Neil

Thanks Andrew and Kolban for your responses.

By having logging framework i was trying to save time for the production support folks. So that they will get the relevant information about the failure or anything without going through the entire logs.

My idea was to develop my own logging service in the integration designer and make it available as a toolkit in the process designer so that it can be used across the processes.

Andrew i read your blog and its really helpful.

Let me try out something over it and let see hows it can be generalized. Will posted again if faced with issues :)

Thanks again for the inputs.

• dogren@gmail.com
    dogren@gmail.com
    401 Posts

‏2013-08-21T00:19:39Z  
    • RKataria
    • ‏2013-08-20T17:21:44Z

Thanks Andrew and Kolban for your responses.

By having logging framework i was trying to save time for the production support folks. So that they will get the relevant information about the failure or anything without going through the entire logs.

My idea was to develop my own logging service in the integration designer and make it available as a toolkit in the process designer so that it can be used across the processes.

Andrew i read your blog and its really helpful.

Let me try out something over it and let see hows it can be generalized. Will posted again if faced with issues :)

Thanks again for the inputs.

The overhead of an AIS is WAY too high to use for a logging service.

Even a java connector has more overhead than I typically like to see for a logging service, although that may be your best option. (Live scripting might be the lowest overhead, but live scripting is generally frowned upon.)

David

• Nitin Singhal
    Nitin Singhal
    9 Posts

‏2013-09-09T11:29:36Z  

Thank you All,

I was on leave so I could not follow the same.

• MarkFilley
    MarkFilley
    43 Posts

‏2013-09-11T05:25:07Z  

What exactly do you want to debug?

A simple unit test produced the right results? check the outputs of the instance with REST API, does it have the right end values? Were external systems involved? do they have the right data

OOM or hangs?  The WAIT tool is slick. Java core analysis within minutes, when it used to take hours by hand. The heap analysis tool is also great.

Do you need to trace how often something happens in the logs? The trace and request analysis tool might help here.

Neils comments on the RFEs is very valid. If there are some error messages which are not clear or could be better, or missing, file an RFE and then vote. I have one out there for detecting looping.

• CJ0X_Paul_Reed
    CJ0X_Paul_Reed
    40 Posts

‏2013-12-13T01:53:39Z  

Not sure if it would help you, but we addressed this issue by trapping the exception in the process and creating a task in the System Administrator's inbox (using a UCA to another process) with full details of the error.  This saves time by not normally needing to look at the logs.  Most of the time the exception has sufficient information to identify the problem and direct the developers to the right place to fix it.