Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-08T23:55:30Z by RimonMina
RimonMina
RimonMina
29 Posts

Pinned topic Deploy FM model

‏2014-01-27T23:05:20Z |

I need to move FM model from Development environment to QA environment. Both environments use Cogno 10.2.1 and share the same database. How can I do that?

Later I need to promote the model from QA to production. Production has its own DB.

Appreciate an suggestion in this area.

Thanks in advance, 

Updated on 2014-01-27T23:05:38Z at 2014-01-27T23:05:38Z by RimonMina
  • TimTam18
    TimTam18
    11 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Deploy FM model

‏2014-02-04T06:44:45Z  

Hi RimonMina,

Another alternative (which I'm using) is utilizing Framework Manager's XML scripting functionality:

1. From your development environment's Framework Manager, go to Project >> View Transaction History

2. Expand the transaction list and select the batch(es) of actions you want to deploy

3. Save as Script. 

4. Copy this script (*.xml) to your QA environment.

5. In QA, go to Project > Run Script and open the XML file

6. Review and select the actions to be repeated in QA

With this you can selectively deploy separate changes in the model, it also saves you from reconfiguring all the parameters again.

Google "Updating IBM Cognos 8 Models Using Code and XML" and the first PDF result will be a good resource

Hope it helps,

TT

• Carlos.Hernandez
    Carlos.Hernandez
    80 Posts

‏2014-01-27T23:59:47Z  

What you are doing is called a "deployment" in Cognos. Read up about it here: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cbi/v10r2m1/topic/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.ug_cra.10.2.1.doc/c_deployment.html?path=2_11_23#Deployment

Your Dev and QA environments share what database?

• RimonMina
    RimonMina
    29 Posts

‏2014-01-28T00:39:37Z  

What you are doing is called a "deployment" in Cognos. Read up about it here: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cbi/v10r2m1/topic/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.ug_cra.10.2.1.doc/c_deployment.html?path=2_11_23#Deployment

Your Dev and QA environments share what database?

Hi Carlos

I beleive the link you posted explains the deploment of packages and reports or folders. I want to re-created the model for QA team as part of their work is to verify the model itself.Is there a way to export\import the model itself?

QA and development shares DB which contains the tables that are used to build data source.This DB is subset of production db.

Appreciate your help. 

• Carlos.Hernandez
    Carlos.Hernandez
    80 Posts

‏2014-01-28T00:47:46Z  
    • RimonMina
    • ‏2014-01-28T00:39:37Z

Hi Carlos

I beleive the link you posted explains the deploment of packages and reports or folders. I want to re-created the model for QA team as part of their work is to verify the model itself.Is there a way to export\import the model itself?

QA and development shares DB which contains the tables that are used to build data source.This DB is subset of production db.

Appreciate your help. 

I read that too quickly. You should be able to just copy the Framework files (model.cpf, model.xml, etc) and open in the other environment. If your data sources are named differently in the environments (Teradata DB Prod vs. Teradata DB Dev) then just update that in the model

• TimTam18
    TimTam18
    11 Posts

‏2014-02-04T06:44:45Z  

Hi RimonMina,

Another alternative (which I'm using) is utilizing Framework Manager's XML scripting functionality:

1. From your development environment's Framework Manager, go to Project >> View Transaction History

2. Expand the transaction list and select the batch(es) of actions you want to deploy

3. Save as Script. 

With this you can selectively deploy separate changes in the model, it also saves you from reconfiguring all the parameters again.

Google "Updating IBM Cognos 8 Models Using Code and XML" and the first PDF result will be a good resource

Hope it helps,

TT

• RimonMina
    RimonMina
    29 Posts

‏2014-02-08T23:55:15Z  

I read that too quickly. You should be able to just copy the Framework files (model.cpf, model.xml, etc) and open in the other environment. If your data sources are named differently in the environments (Teradata DB Prod vs. Teradata DB Dev) then just update that in the model

Thank you

• RimonMina
    RimonMina
    29 Posts

‏2014-02-08T23:55:30Z  
    • TimTam18
    • ‏2014-02-04T06:44:45Z

Hi RimonMina,

3. Save as Script. 

Hope it helps,

TT

Thank you