Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-27T08:02:38Z by NavedP
NavedP
NavedP
4 Posts

Pinned topic way to pass a parameter through the URL to open a workspace

‏2013-06-25T10:35:22Z |

has anyone found a way to pass a parameter through the URL to open a workspace?  I have found where to get the URL, but no clue whether it's possible to use a parameterized URL for Business Insight in Cognos 10.1 or IBM Cognos Workspace in 10.2

• DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    850 Posts

Re: way to pass a parameter through the URL to open a workspace

‏2013-06-25T18:20:14Z  

Not quite sure what it is you are after.  Are you prompted when you click on the Workspace?  Maybe you could post some screen captures of your WS and what values you are looking to pass to which widget?

• NavedP
    NavedP
    4 Posts

‏2013-06-26T05:07:06Z  

Not quite sure what it is you are after.  Are you prompted when you click on the Workspace?  Maybe you could post some screen captures of your WS and what values you are looking to pass to which widget?

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the quick response...What I am trying to do is as below..

1. I have a Workspace that contains optional prompts on top and this workspace needs to be invoked from some other web portal ....no if it was just to call this workspace I am fine but I even further need to have control on the prompts that workspace has....for example I have a country prompt on my workspace so on my web portal if I select India and pass through parameterized url it should affect my WS as well.

Something which can be achieved using p_paramName=Value .....this works when I call the report and if I set p_country=India in url the report open with country prompt value as India.

Regards,
    Naved Patel.

• DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    850 Posts

‏2013-06-26T12:59:14Z  
    • NavedP
    • ‏2013-06-26T05:07:06Z

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the quick response...What I am trying to do is as below..

1. I have a Workspace that contains optional prompts on top and this workspace needs to be invoked from some other web portal ....no if it was just to call this workspace I am fine but I even further need to have control on the prompts that workspace has....for example I have a country prompt on my workspace so on my web portal if I select India and pass through parameterized url it should affect my WS as well.

Something which can be achieved using p_paramName=Value .....this works when I call the report and if I set p_country=India in url the report open with country prompt value as India.

Regards,
    Naved Patel.

I fully understand now, and currently I do not think this is possible based on the fact that the prompt in the dashboard is actually a widget which is projected based on an internal copy of the original report spec which was used. 

This is a good requirement and I encourge you to get an enhancement logged by IBM Cognos Customer Support.

• NavedP
    NavedP
    4 Posts

‏2013-06-27T08:02:38Z  

I fully understand now, and currently I do not think this is possible based on the fact that the prompt in the dashboard is actually a widget which is projected based on an internal copy of the original report spec which was used. 

This is a good requirement and I encourge you to get an enhancement logged by IBM Cognos Customer Support.

Hey Daniel,

Even I had a same point of view for this....I will have to raise this with IBM as an enhancement..

Please if you can guide me through how to raise this ?

Regards,
    Naved Patel.