Topic
  • 15 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-04-18T00:32:55Z by Thomas_Ortelt
Thomas_Ortelt
Thomas_Ortelt
25 Posts

Pinned topic Feedback on the hosted beta for SmartCloud Orchestrator

‏2012-11-13T14:03:35Z |
Please provide your feedback, comments, questions and suggestions concerning your evaluation of the hosted beta system here.

The instructions on how to use the hosted beta system are here.

↓ Use the Reply function below.
  • Chandrakandh
    Chandrakandh
    1 Post

Re: Feedback on the hosted beta for SmartCloud Orchestrator

‏2012-12-15T17:52:15Z  
     I am getting errors while using the Process Designer

1.) I do not have access to view the existing toolkits
    2.) Clicking Inspector Tab throws "org.omg.CORBA.INTERNAL" message (Happened only first time)
    3.) The label "Process Center" taking to Process Apps tab..not sure user may think 'Process Center" as a different feature..(I am a new user:-))
    4.) I am Stuck at "Run Process" Step #2 as it asks tw_admin password to run the process
  • patro
    patro
    6 Posts

‏2013-01-04T14:36:01Z  
     Hello Thomas,

I am going through the scenarios in the hosted environment. So far, so good. 

One comment on Scenario 3: When I go to System -> Tasks and Approvals, I can see the Task called "Step: Say Hello", with Status Pending Approval.  
       I suggest the Status changes to Pending Action, as my humble Hello World Process is not an approval process, but just a human interaction in the sequence of activities. 
       Makes sense? 
  • patro
    patro
    6 Posts

‏2013-01-04T14:37:15Z  
    • patro
    • ‏2013-01-04T14:36:01Z
     Hello Thomas,

I am going through the scenarios in the hosted environment. So far, so good. 

One comment on Scenario 3: When I go to System -> Tasks and Approvals, I can see the Task called "Step: Say Hello", with Status Pending Approval.  
       I suggest the Status changes to Pending Action, as my humble Hello World Process is not an approval process, but just a human interaction in the sequence of activities. 
       Makes sense? 
     Also, in the same scenario, when I click Start, I see a dialog popping up with the title: "Please fill in the required parameters". Well, there is no parameter there; just a label and a button.
  • patro
    patro
    6 Posts

Re: Feedback on the hosted beta for SmartCloud Orchestrator - Operation/service

‏2013-01-04T14:49:51Z  
     Going through these scenarios, I got confused about the meaning of:

Operation and service: I am defining a new Operation under Operations Registry, but then I go to Other Services to run. What else besides Operations go into Other Services?

Thanks,

Ep 
  • jonesmiIBM
    jonesmiIBM
    1 Post

‏2013-01-10T16:29:23Z  
     I've been through this set of scenarios, what other scenarios are available for Beta 2?
  • Thomas_Ortelt
    Thomas_Ortelt
    25 Posts

‏2013-01-10T17:47:32Z  
     I am getting errors while using the Process Designer

1.) I do not have access to view the existing toolkits
    2.) Clicking Inspector Tab throws "org.omg.CORBA.INTERNAL" message (Happened only first time)
    3.) The label "Process Center" taking to Process Apps tab..not sure user may think 'Process Center" as a different feature..(I am a new user:-))
    4.) I am Stuck at "Run Process" Step #2 as it asks tw_admin password to run the process
    Thank you for your feedback. Some comments on your findings and observations:
    1) It is not entirely clear which action you tried to perform when observing what you mention in 1), so let me just mention that the standard setting for toolkits is to be read-only. If you want to modify any of the contained artifacts simply create a copy of the artifact for your own process application by right-clicking it and using "Copy item to ..." from the context menu.
    2) This seems to be a glitch with the specific way the evaluation system is set up and will be documented as a known issue for the moment.
    3) As Process Center is the established name for this component it hopefully will feel more natural over time ... - suggestions for better names are of course welcome.
    4) You spotted a copy error here - the user is only correct for the download code - the correct user for the hosted beta is the individual user ID provided to you for the session (e.g. u100). Correcting the scenario documentation.
  • Thomas_Ortelt
    Thomas_Ortelt
    25 Posts

‏2013-01-11T16:37:31Z  
    • patro
    • ‏2013-01-04T14:37:15Z
     Also, in the same scenario, when I click Start, I see a dialog popping up with the title: "Please fill in the required parameters". Well, there is no parameter there; just a label and a button.
     Thank you for the suggestions. We will discuss how the wording of the displayed status might be improved along the lines you suggest.
    As for the dialog I think we will need to check whether we actually have to adjust the evaluation scenario or the dialog title - in any case your finding is very valid. Thanks.
  • Thomas_Ortelt
    Thomas_Ortelt
    25 Posts

Re: Feedback on the hosted beta for SmartCloud Orchestrator - Operation/service

‏2013-01-11T16:47:35Z  
    • patro
    • ‏2013-01-04T14:49:51Z
     Going through these scenarios, I got confused about the meaning of:

Operation and service: I am defining a new Operation under Operations Registry, but then I go to Other Services to run. What else besides Operations go into Other Services?

Thanks,

Ep 
    It is interesting to see you referring to an area where we already had quite a few discussions on the best choice of terms ...
    Just to mention an example of the arguments: "operation" was thought of to have too much of a technical touch so that "services" would be the better choice when it comes to exposing to the cloud consumer. At the same time it seemed to be pretty appropriate in context of the registry. Current work being done on improving the general access point to what is currently called "Other services" will hopefully resolve this in a very consistent and intuitive way. Please stay tuned for upcoming updates.
    Thank you.
  • Thomas_Ortelt
    Thomas_Ortelt
    25 Posts

‏2013-01-11T16:53:08Z  
     I've been through this set of scenarios, what other scenarios are available for Beta 2?
     Thanks for taking the time to explore the system. We are currently working on a new set of new scenarios which I hope to be able and publish later next week.
  • FloCC
    FloCC
    1 Post

‏2013-01-17T11:51:46Z  

Does SmartCloudOrchestrator support Active Directory? Can I install it by myself?

Is there also support for different databases? Such as MSSQL, MySQL and Oracle? Which ones are also supported? Is there a chance to test it, because there is no SQL-Server installed?

When can we expect the new scenarios to be ready?
  • NavThakur
    NavThakur
    1 Post

‏2013-01-24T04:20:45Z  
     Hi Thomas,

Few comments
    1.IBM Process Designer some times pops up org.omg.CORBA.INTERNAL error
    2.Scenario-4 "Gathering user input at service request time"-When running the service the below error is shown
    "Undeclared local variable, input or output parameter operationContextId found in service "U123_SayHello" item "UNKNOWN" location "UNKNOWN". You must declare it in order to use it."Am I missing something while configuring this service or this is a known error which is being worked upon.
    3.Is there any introductory document or video on IBM SmartCloud Orchestrator-showing what all features it has and what is inprogress?

So far the UI experience has been good.

Thanks
    Navjeet
  • ShahedM
    ShahedM
    1 Post

‏2013-03-06T13:34:20Z  
     Hi,

Where can I find some general docs on SmartCloud Orchestrator ? 

From what I can see in the PDF for the beta, it looks like its IBM Process Manager, but I am unable to grasp what this offering really provides.

Is the IBM SCE UI and  behind the scene provisioning of instances for SCAWS handled by this offering ?

Thanks
    Shahed
  • Thomas_Ortelt
    Thomas_Ortelt
    25 Posts

‏2013-04-16T15:03:22Z  
    • ShahedM
    • ‏2013-03-06T13:34:20Z
     Hi,

Where can I find some general docs on SmartCloud Orchestrator ? 

From what I can see in the PDF for the beta, it looks like its IBM Process Manager, but I am unable to grasp what this offering really provides.

Is the IBM SCE UI and  behind the scene provisioning of instances for SCAWS handled by this offering ?

Thanks
    Shahed

As an update on documentation: we have made available an updated draft version of the product documentation in the hosted beta environment.

Please do check it out when using the hosted the beta system.

• Thomas_Ortelt
    Thomas_Ortelt
    25 Posts

‏2013-04-18T00:32:55Z  

Closing this thread - please us the discussion thread for the currrent milestone (milestone 3) for new postings.