Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-07-10T14:33:57Z by tjacks55
tjacks55
tjacks55
8 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Fedora 17 on 7r2

‏2012-07-06T14:41:24Z |
Has anyone had any luck getting F17 to install on a 7r2?  When it boots from the yaboot (on the graphical console) it gets to a screen where it says "Performing OPAL takeover"  Then the screen goes blank.  I finally figured out that it switched to the serial console, where I saw it start to scroll through the installer boot-up, then it said unsupported arch type ppc.  Any ideas?  Are there any boot args I can use to get past this?
Updated on 2012-07-10T14:33:57Z at 2012-07-10T14:33:57Z by tjacks55
  • jscheel
    jscheel
    61 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Fedora 17 on 7r2

‏2012-07-06T21:34:32Z  in response to tjacks55
     Was this a new install or an upgrade?  New installs are supposed to use grub2, not yaboot.
  • Benjamin Herrenschmidt
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-06T22:13:26Z  in response to tjacks55
    This is not a bootloader problem. From what I can tell:

- The machine is a pre-IOC 730-L, it has OPAL v1 "takeover" support 

- The kernel has been compiled with the PowerNV platform support enabled (OPAL platforms) 

The kernel attempts to do an OPAL takeover .. and succeeds. On the other hand, it looks like 
    the fedora installer doesn't recognize the resulting platform. 

There is no way to prevent the takeover attempt without rebuilding the kernel without PowerNV
    support, though I could cook up a patch, we might want to disconnect the general PowerNV/OPAL
    support from the takeover functionality on OPAL v1 and keep a way to disable the later at build
    time or something... 

• ThinkOpenly
      ThinkOpenly
      40 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-09T18:56:23Z  in response to Benjamin Herrenschmidt
       Lots of jargon...
      - "pre-IOC 730-L":  "B" model 730 (with a P5IOC versus a "C" model with a P7IOC)?  or, not really a 7R2
      - OPAL: ?
      - PowerNV: ?
      - takeover: ?
  • ranger
    ranger
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-09T12:39:07Z  in response to tjacks55
    Let's start simpler and rule out any easy stuff.  Can you you paste the sha256sum of your media (or md5sum if you prefer)?

Then, you mention you are able to switch over to serial, what command args are you using to do this?  And finally, have you tried to pass the vnc argument to force a VNC-based graphical install?

Many of us hang out on #fedora-ppc on freenode if you would like to swing into there, perhaps we could help you out a little more interactively.

Brent
  • JayFurmanek
    JayFurmanek
    93 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-09T17:36:43Z  in response to tjacks55
     I was able to install Fedora17 GA into an LPAR on a 7r2. Seeing that you are running into PowerNV issues though probably means you are not using virtualization. Do you have the latest firmware on your machine?

For me, vnc mode didn't seem to work out of the box - the network manager never asked for an IP address so when the VNC server came up and looked for an IP, it would fail. I just did an old text mode install, which completed ok. I never saw any PowerNV/OPAL issues...
  • willschm
    willschm
    45 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-10T14:24:10Z  in response to tjacks55

I think Ben identified it, but possibly got lost in the noise. 

Ben> The kernel attempts to do an OPAL takeover .. and succeeds. On the other
    Ben> hand, it looks like the fedora installer doesn't recognize the resulting platform.

The 'fedora installer doesn't recognize..' statement keyed off the initial statement:
     tjacks55> ...  then it said unsupported arch type ppc.

Are there any Fedora debug parms to throw at this to help determine the what/why it decided ppc arch type is unsupported?

• tjacks55
      tjacks55
      8 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-10T14:33:57Z  in response to willschm
       That's correct, it does the takeover just fine I think (assign from changing my default console from graphic to serial)  It's on the fedora installer that it hands up with the unsupported architecture type.  I don't know if it matters, but the hardware is actually the L2B pre-prod version of the 7r2, not the released L2C.  Which I believe the IO/PCIe is different.