IC SunsetThe developerWorks Connections platform will be sunset on December 31, 2019. On January 1, 2020, this forum will no longer be available. More details available on our FAQ.
Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2019-04-18T15:44:07Z by JaredStoker
JaredStoker
JaredStoker
3 Posts

Pinned topic cleanmqlogs isn't reading the required variables for the right logs

‏2019-04-15T22:14:14Z |

Possibly a permissions issue?

rcdmqimg:

AMQ7467I: The oldest log file required to start queue manager QMI_BLD01 is S0000003.LOG.
AMQ7468I: The oldest log file required to perform media recovery of queue manager QMI_BLD01 is S0000003.LOG.

cleanmqlogs: - output is blank for the required logs for recovery or restart.
Cleaning Logs on QMI_BLD01
cleanmqlogs: QMI_BLD01: Needed for Media Recovery:
cleanmqlogs: QMI_BLD01: Needed for Qmgr Restart:
cleanmqlogs: Cannot determine latest logfiles for QMI_BLD01.
cleanmqlogs: Perhaps its logfiles are circular?

• MoragH
    MoragH
    132 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: cleanmqlogs isn't reading the required variables for the right logs

‏2019-04-18T11:46:09Z  

Did setting the environment variable get cleanmqlogs working for you again?

On your question on translating to the new feature, suggest you post your question against the blog post I referred you to, which will get you to the right people in Hursley to talk about log management.

Cheers,
    Morag

• MoragH
    MoragH
    132 Posts

‏2019-04-16T08:32:14Z  

You appear to be using IBM MQ V9.0.3 or later, since your error messages have a letter on the end. I suspect this is the problem. Looking at the cleanmqlogs perl script, it is expecting MQ error message numbers without letters on the end. You can turn off this feature (which is on by default from V9.0.4) by setting environment variable AMQ_DIAGNOSTIC_MSG_SEVERITY to zero.

By the way, it is no longer necessary to use cleanmqlogs as IBM MQ V9.0.2 has a feature which will automatically clean up linear log files when they are no longer needed for recovery. It will also automatically capture media images for you too. Read more about these two features in this blog post from IBM Hursley: Logger enhancements for MQ v9.0.2 and v9.1.

For further help with the SupportPac (MS62) the author's contact details are in the read me and in the Perl file. You might like to let him know about this issue so he can decide whether to make an update.

Cheers,
    Morag

• JaredStoker
    JaredStoker
    3 Posts

‏2019-04-16T15:58:13Z  
    • MoragH
    • ‏2019-04-16T08:32:14Z

You appear to be using IBM MQ V9.0.3 or later, since your error messages have a letter on the end. I suspect this is the problem. Looking at the cleanmqlogs perl script, it is expecting MQ error message numbers without letters on the end. You can turn off this feature (which is on by default from V9.0.4) by setting environment variable AMQ_DIAGNOSTIC_MSG_SEVERITY to zero.

By the way, it is no longer necessary to use cleanmqlogs as IBM MQ V9.0.2 has a feature which will automatically clean up linear log files when they are no longer needed for recovery. It will also automatically capture media images for you too. Read more about these two features in this blog post from IBM Hursley: Logger enhancements for MQ v9.0.2 and v9.1.

For further help with the SupportPac (MS62) the author's contact details are in the read me and in the Perl file. You might like to let him know about this issue so he can decide whether to make an update.

Cheers,
    Morag

Thanks for the response! I am on MQ 9.0.4. I am transitioning from MQ8 and in the past we have always used manual logging with cronjobs running rcdmqimg and cleanmqlogs for log management. I am now looking into automatic logging. What would be a good way to translate our previous manual configurations into automatic ones? I currently have 24 logs with a size of 65M. I run rcdmqimg/cleanmqlogs every 6 hours, and delete logs after 48 hours. My backups occur nightly, preserving logs long term. 

• MoragH
    MoragH
    132 Posts

‏2019-04-18T11:46:09Z  

Did setting the environment variable get cleanmqlogs working for you again?

On your question on translating to the new feature, suggest you post your question against the blog post I referred you to, which will get you to the right people in Hursley to talk about log management.

Cheers,
    Morag

• JaredStoker
    JaredStoker
    3 Posts

‏2019-04-18T15:44:07Z  

Thank you!