Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-01-02T12:52:09Z by MyScreen2
MyScreen2
MyScreen2
41 Posts

Pinned topic WAS to Liberty Profile - licensing impact?

‏2013-12-23T01:03:05Z |

If I have an application running on the latest version of WAS Express, can I install the Liberty Profile Core and migrate my application to Liberty Profile - all under the same license (assuming I uninstall WAS Express)?

• Alasdair
    Alasdair
    55 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WAS to Liberty Profile - licensing impact?

‏2013-12-26T15:05:27Z  

After thinking about this more I am wondering about something as I try to figure out how to best design our deployment process.  My plan was to package all of the liberty profile with our app included based on a 'licensed' version of Liberty Profile, and when we unpack it at the client only changing the handful of config items to match their environment.  I am ok with sending the 150 MB zip file for each release of our application, wiping out their install just to replace it with the updated 'image', but will this loose anything in the licensing or metadata you mentioned before?

That should be fine. Assuming you use the server package tool the metadata will be contained in the zip file you distribute.

• Alasdair
    Alasdair
    55 Posts

‏2013-12-23T07:43:30Z  

WAS Express and Liberty Core are two different editions with difference licenses so you can't install Liberty Core using your WAS Express license. However with the WAS Express license you can choose to install either full profile, or the liberty profile. So you essentially have a choice here:

1. Purchase and deploy Liberty Core licenses
    2. Deploy the Liberty profile that is licensed as a part of WAS Express

The licenses are different and there are restrictions that affect WAS Express that don't affect Liberty Core.

I hope this helps
    Alasdair

• MyScreen2
    MyScreen2
    41 Posts

‏2013-12-23T15:28:21Z  
    • Alasdair
    • ‏2013-12-23T07:43:30Z

WAS Express and Liberty Core are two different editions with difference licenses so you can't install Liberty Core using your WAS Express license. However with the WAS Express license you can choose to install either full profile, or the liberty profile. So you essentially have a choice here:

1. Purchase and deploy Liberty Core licenses
    2. Deploy the Liberty profile that is licensed as a part of WAS Express

The licenses are different and there are restrictions that affect WAS Express that don't affect Liberty Core.

I hope this helps
    Alasdair

Thanks for the info.

Let me be more specific in case it makes a difference - maybe it is not Liberty Core I need.  We have a number of sites running our application and each of our customers has a WAS Express license.  I have moved our app over to a developer copy of Liberty Profile I downloaded from wasdev.net,  used the 'package' command to build the server/application zip file, and am now considering how I 'migrate' our installs from WAS Express to Liberty Profile.  Our new installations and subsequent upgrades of our applications will be much easier and faster if we can use this 'package' feature.

We do not want to incur any further expense on our customer base for this migration so I hope we can use their current license while leveraging all that I have seen in the Liberty Profile (easy setup/deployment, etc.).

I will continue to look for more information about the differences you mentioned between the two versions.

Thanks!

• Alasdair
    Alasdair
    55 Posts

‏2013-12-24T09:43:45Z  

Thanks for the info.

Let me be more specific in case it makes a difference - maybe it is not Liberty Core I need.  We have a number of sites running our application and each of our customers has a WAS Express license.  I have moved our app over to a developer copy of Liberty Profile I downloaded from wasdev.net,  used the 'package' command to build the server/application zip file, and am now considering how I 'migrate' our installs from WAS Express to Liberty Profile.  Our new installations and subsequent upgrades of our applications will be much easier and faster if we can use this 'package' feature.

We do not want to incur any further expense on our customer base for this migration so I hope we can use their current license while leveraging all that I have seen in the Liberty Profile (easy setup/deployment, etc.).

I will continue to look for more information about the differences you mentioned between the two versions.

Thanks!

Thanks for the extra information it makes a big difference to the answer. When  you buy WAS Express you get entitlement to run either the full profile (the app server runtime you are currently using) or Liberty profile. You can choose which to run. So if you are running on WAS Express and want to move to Liberty you can simply replace your current full profile install with the Liberty profile without paying additional license costs. (When I say simply there is some work involved in certifying your application runs on Liberty profile).

With regard to the WASdev.net download and the package command I would recommend you go to passport advantage and download the WAS Express licensed version of the Liberty profile since it is licensed for production usage. It also has the correct metadata which means the IBM License Metric Tool will be able to find it and treat it as valid Express licenses. The runtimes are the same, the difference is just the license and the metadata.

I hope this helps
    Alasdair

• MyScreen2
    MyScreen2
    41 Posts

‏2013-12-26T13:58:18Z  
    • Alasdair
    • ‏2013-12-24T09:43:45Z

Thanks for the extra information it makes a big difference to the answer. When  you buy WAS Express you get entitlement to run either the full profile (the app server runtime you are currently using) or Liberty profile. You can choose which to run. So if you are running on WAS Express and want to move to Liberty you can simply replace your current full profile install with the Liberty profile without paying additional license costs. (When I say simply there is some work involved in certifying your application runs on Liberty profile).

With regard to the WASdev.net download and the package command I would recommend you go to passport advantage and download the WAS Express licensed version of the Liberty profile since it is licensed for production usage. It also has the correct metadata which means the IBM License Metric Tool will be able to find it and treat it as valid Express licenses. The runtimes are the same, the difference is just the license and the metadata.

I hope this helps
    Alasdair

Thanks for the answer on this.  It does raise another question for me but certainly answer my question about licensing.  I will start another thread for my new question if I cannot find the answer already out there.

Thanks again!

• MyScreen2
    MyScreen2
    41 Posts

‏2013-12-26T14:43:01Z  
    • Alasdair
    • ‏2013-12-24T09:43:45Z

I hope this helps
    Alasdair

After thinking about this more I am wondering about something as I try to figure out how to best design our deployment process.  My plan was to package all of the liberty profile with our app included based on a 'licensed' version of Liberty Profile, and when we unpack it at the client only changing the handful of config items to match their environment.  I am ok with sending the 150 MB zip file for each release of our application, wiping out their install just to replace it with the updated 'image', but will this loose anything in the licensing or metadata you mentioned before?

• Alasdair
    Alasdair
    55 Posts

‏2013-12-26T15:05:27Z  

That should be fine. Assuming you use the server package tool the metadata will be contained in the zip file you distribute.

• MyScreen2
    MyScreen2
    41 Posts

‏2014-01-02T12:52:09Z  
    • Alasdair
    • ‏2013-12-26T15:05:27Z

Thanks for the answers to my questions!