• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-12-03T15:11:10Z by PaulLiskay
deinidol
deinidol
3 Posts

Pinned topic Agent / Agent Controller Questions

‏2013-08-21T14:00:05Z |

Hello!

I am successfully testing an SAP ERP on DB2 with RPT 8.5 and the SAP extension on my workstation. 

Additionally i got 4 workstations which i want to use as agents to provide additional workload.

Here is what i did:

1. I installed RPT and RPT Agent on the 4 additional workstations

2. I opened port 7080 (standard) on my main workstation (where my tests are)

3. I tried to add Agents to the Usergroups in the test timetable

4. Error: No Agents are connected with my workbench

Questions

1. What exactly do i have to install or configure on my agent workstations and my main workstation to get them connected?

2. Do i need to install RPT on every agent workstation or is it possible to install the RPT Agent as standalone?

3. Do i need additional licenses? (I have enough RPT Activation Kits and SAP extension floating licenses on the License Key Server)

Thanks for reading,

Jonas

• KMooney
    KMooney
    302 Posts

Re: Agent / Agent Controller Questions

‏2013-08-21T14:41:10Z  

1. At a minimum the RPT Agent product needs to be installed.  The configuration initially is on the agent.  At installation time it prompts for a workbench hostname and port (7080).  At this configuration panel is where you specify on the agent the hostname of the workbench it is supposed to contact for getting schedule execution work.  This configuration information is stored on the agent in the file Program Files/IBM/SDP/Majordomo/majordomo.config.  The format of the config file is XML and somewhat intuitive.  You can modify it after installation to specify additional workbenches or to change the supported workbench.  It is not necessary to restart the agent after modifying the config file.

2. You can install only the RPT Agent if you wish.

3. You do not need additional licenses.

• deinidol
    deinidol
    3 Posts

‏2013-08-22T14:52:24Z  
    • KMooney
    • ‏2013-08-21T14:41:10Z

1. At a minimum the RPT Agent product needs to be installed.  The configuration initially is on the agent.  At installation time it prompts for a workbench hostname and port (7080).  At this configuration panel is where you specify on the agent the hostname of the workbench it is supposed to contact for getting schedule execution work.  This configuration information is stored on the agent in the file Program Files/IBM/SDP/Majordomo/majordomo.config.  The format of the config file is XML and somewhat intuitive.  You can modify it after installation to specify additional workbenches or to change the supported workbench.  It is not necessary to restart the agent after modifying the config file.

2. You can install only the RPT Agent if you wish.

3. You do not need additional licenses.

I uninstalled RPT and installed the Agent as standalone with the Component Package option IBM Rational Performance Tester Server for IBM workbench.

Now i can see my 4 Agents via the Agent Status and im able to successfully execute my tests.

Thanks for your quick advice!

• andryi
    andryi
    29 Posts

‏2013-12-02T19:38:33Z  

Hi, I have got a question, I realized the same but when I click the Agent Icon one or two  times I see my agents in ready mode but when I click the agent icon one more time the status is lost conection =S, and after again they are in ready mode, why?

• PaulLiskay
    PaulLiskay
    890 Posts

‏2013-12-03T15:11:10Z  
    • andryi
    • ‏2013-12-02T19:38:33Z

Hi, I have got a question, I realized the same but when I click the Agent Icon one or two  times I see my agents in ready mode but when I click the agent icon one more time the status is lost conection =S, and after again they are in ready mode, why?

this can happen if there's a lot of agents or the network connection is slow and using 8.3

RPT has to get a response (or all the agents have to contact RPT) with in a 10 second window, if they don't then the Agent status icon check will report lost.

In 8.5 each agent has a single thread to report status to each of it's workbenches in the majordomo.config file, this eliminates most of the connection lost issues.

Workarounds are: reduce number of agents connected to the RPT 8.3 workbench or upgrade to 8.5

Updated on 2013-12-03T15:18:35Z at 2013-12-03T15:18:35Z by PaulLiskay