The Seattle Municipal Court (SMC) is one of the highest volume Courts of Limited Jurisdiction in the State of Washington with 12 judicial officers and over 200 staff. It was established in accordance with State law and is the judicial branch of government for the City. The Court is authorized by the State of Washington and the Seattle Municipal Code to hear and decide both criminal and civil matters.
SMC's Court Technology Division is searching for two strong Senior IT DBA/Developers/Engineers to work with a cross-functional team to deliver IT solutions. These two positions will contribute to the court's progress into the future by playing a key role in updating legacy systems. This transition will add highly complex integrated system(s) to current technology standards. The ideal candidates for these two position will have a track record of working with database schemas, data administration and troubleshooting performance issues. They will have experience using Informix.
If you have a background in using Informix, this is an outstanding opportunity to bring your database skills to the court and support our Municipal Court Information System (MCIS). This system stores a large volume of information required for the Court to adjudicate misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor crimes, infractions and civil violations. SMC has plans for the replacement of MCIS and needs these positions to help support the existing system, participate on the project team for the MCIS replacement and provide future support after implementation.
These two positions will report to the Court Information Technology Director.
The Senior IT DBA Developer/Engineers are responsible for providing technical support for the database environment, including overseeing the development and organization of the databases, assessment and implementation of new technologies, and providing a long-term perspective on the relationship of database technology to the business opportunities facing SMC.
The Senior IT DBA Developer/Engineers are challenged to work with architecture, application development and operations to help achieve an environment that meets current and future business objectives and strategies.
- Responsible for creating, designing, developing and implementing logical and physical database schemas and tables.
- Able to engineer the end-to-end vision and develop methods for translating the logical design into one or more physical databases.
- Capable of documenting how data will flow through the development stages, ensuring adherence to design and development conventions, methodologies and standards.
- Provide development and technical support through all project stages.
- Able to evaluate system requirements and capabilities, making recommendations for improvements on existing servers to support growth and new applications.
- Coordinate with appropriate staff and vendors to plan and execute fixes, upgrades and enhancements.
- Lead design and development efforts and support any testing efforts.
Database Administration and Support:
- Maintains system level entity relationship diagram, translates business requirements into relational database schema designs, assesses the appropriateness of replicated data, and verifies compatibility of database tool and applications software packages with existing data base architectures and standards;
- Analyzes and recommends best practice steps to prevent potential database issues, such as performance degradation or potential loss of service as well as recommend actions to fix issues when database problems do occur (e.g., outages or potential errors);
- Provides input into complex decisions as they relate to data architecture, infrastructure and/or administration;
- Analyzes and recommends upgrades to database software and components based on security requirements, new technology or evolving application system requirements;
- Analyzes and recommends capacity planning SAN storage based on captured growth trends and monitoring;
- Reviews database environments to ensure they meet security controls and audit requirements; continually mitigates identified risks and vulnerabilities;
- Supports management on enterprise wide and departmental goals and objectives; provides education and information on security policies, practices, and awareness programs;
- Develops necessary scripts, batches, etc., to support existing and future system(s);
- Demonstrates high availability and disaster recovery options in regards to respective database systems;
- Performs Informix HDR configuration and implementation;
- Has Informix Database archiving tools capabilities, preferably ONBAR; and
- Creates backup strategies that support the business and provide appropriate recovery options with ONBAR.
Project Standards and procedures:
- Follows all Corporate Standards and IT System Standards to develop and support projects;
- Provides input on IT Standards if existing standards require modification/changes; and
Constantly monitors work to ensure the highest level of quality.
Security and Confidentiality:
- Maintains information confidentiality and security;
- Protects and prevents unauthorized attempts to obtain Court/City information; and
- Reports all unauthorized incidents to management.
- Suggests and recommends better ways of improving the quality of work within the team; and
- In a senior position/role is able to interface with user groups, other IT divisions, City departments, agencies, and external vendors and contractors.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Management of Information Systems, or related degree (or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience).
- 5+ years experience using database tools (i.e. Informix, etc.) utilities and UNIX korn shell scripting. The successful candidate must have a proven track record in administering a large complex Informix database.
- 3+ years experience using 4GL or similar language in a UNIX environment.
- 3+ years in-depth experience with UNIX (AIX 6.2) system administration.
- Able to demonstrate strong development/programming skills using IBM Informix 4GL.
- 3+ years' development/integration experience with enterprise applications such as; Peoplesoft, SAP, Cognos, Baan System, etc.
- Ability to develop technical documentation for project deliverables and use by other IT professionals.
- Ability to work as part of a team, flexible and creative thinker with a good big picture understanding of general development and IT issues.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in order to convey technical information to non-technical users/staff.
- Proficient operating in a Windows environment utilizing Outlook, Word, Excel, Lync, PowerPoint, Visio and SharePoint
- Experience developing in .NET, Visual Studio and SQL Server environments.
- Public sector/government IT organization experience.
- Experience working in a judicial court highly valuable.
- The full hourly compensation range for this classification is firm and listed above.
- There are times this position will be required to be on-call, stand-by, work overtime and/or weekends.
- All offers are contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process.
- Appointment is subject to passing a background check.
- This position is covered by the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW), Local 77 union. As a condition of employment, an employee in this position will be required to pay an amount equivalent to the union dues within 30 days of hire.
- New employees must successfully complete a 12-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
- This is a Civil Service position with automatic enrollment into the City's Retirement Program; see the Benefits tab for more information.
- For more information on the Seattle Municipal Court, visit www.seattle.gov/courts. For questions about these opportunities, please contact HR Recruiter, Crystal Yost at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/jobs/1387610
- Applicant must attach a cover letter and resume in addition to the application.
- Application must be filled out in its entirety. Please do not write "see resume".
- Applicant must complete the supplemental questions.
- This recruitment is open until filled, once two qualified candidates have been hired, this recruitment will be closed.