11 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-04-16T13:09:21Z by mimiaz
mimiaz
mimiaz
17 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Array-based Replication

‏2014-04-03T13:36:51Z |

Hello,

I want to know if the asynchronous replication is possible between DS3500 storage system  (SAS connectivity) and storwize v7000?

Thank u,

• AndersLorensen
    AndersLorensen
    156 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Array-based Replication

‏2014-04-04T15:25:35Z  in response to mimiaz

You cannot do replication.

If you are creative, you can virtualize the DS3500 behind the v7000, and do vDiskcopy to the DS3500 in Image mode of the volumes you want to replicate.

This requires the DS3500 to be Fiber Channel attached. (You write SAS Connectivity? You cannot use SAS on the host side on a V7000?), and fiber channel connectivity between the 2 boxes.

/Anders

• mimiaz
      mimiaz
      17 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-04T15:43:29Z  in response to AndersLorensen

Exactly. I have a SAS attached DS3500. That's the problem. Is there any other alternative to make this replication possible? If not, what can i possibly use, other than the storwize family to replicate data form it to DS3500.

Thank you,

• AndersLorensen
        AndersLorensen
        156 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-04T16:05:35Z  in response to mimiaz

You can add a Fiber Card to the DS3500 (downgrades the DS3500 to only 2 SAS hosts, but add fiber hosts as an option), and do the external virtualization with the V7000.

Otherwise you'll need a DS-series array to replicate to.

/Anders

• mimiaz
          mimiaz
          17 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-04T18:02:48Z  in response to AndersLorensen

storwize v3700 can also be SAS atteched. Why can't i use it? And i want also know more about SVC and if it can help me in any way.

• AndersLorensen
            AndersLorensen
            156 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-04T20:19:12Z  in response to mimiaz

The Storwize Family is made by IBM.

The DS Family (up to but not including DS6000) is made by LSI (Now NetApp) and OEM'ed by IBM.

Their replication tecnology can simply not talk together.

Storwize can replicate with other Storwize arrays and SVC.

DS series hardware (and DCS series) can replicate to other DS (and DCS) hardware.

If you use External virtualization in front of your DS box with a Storwize/SVC, you can of course use the Storwize replication. But External virtualization requires fiber connectivity between them. SAS Connectivity is supported for Storwize 3700 and 5000, but only for migration, not permanent virtualization. (Supported, as in you cant get help, but it will properly Work). The Storwize v3700 dont support external virtualization at all. So if you wanted to do this, you'd have to go with a Storwize v5000 and in an unsupported configuration.

External virtualization as a replication is not really flexible eighter. You can only do Sync Mirror, which limits options. And the primary box pretty much have to be the Storwize.

Maybe you could tell us what you want to archive in the first place? It might be easier to come up with the right design if we know the Whole scenario...

/Anders

• mimiaz
              mimiaz
              17 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-04T20:46:40Z  in response to AndersLorensen

I want to be able to make an asynchronous replication between two distant sites. In the production site, I have the storage system DS3500; I want to have in the backup site another storage system (other than DS3500) that I can replicate data to. I don't mind having a less powerful storage system than DS3500 in the backup site. That's the first scenario.

In another scenario, I can move the DS3500 in the backup site and have another storage system in the primary site, in this case more powerful.

So what storage system can i use in the first scenario and wish one can I use in the second?  

Thank u for ur help,

• AndersLorensen
                AndersLorensen
                156 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-04T22:22:41Z  in response to mimiaz

In the first scenario, the only system that would fit that is another DS3500. You can fit it with cheaper drives to cut cost if you like. My personal favorite is the 1 TB NL-SAS 2½" drives. A Good middle road that is cheap and good performance.

In the second scenario, a DS3500 is most likely the right choise as well. Unless you are closing in on max number of disks or performance (the 192 disk limit) I see no reason to not go with a DS3500 here as well.

Remember you need to buy the "Disaster Recovery option" on both units to do the async replication.

The third option is to get 2 new Storwizes. This might be an option if your service contract is soon up for a renewal.

If you go for this option, you should consider eighter a V5000 on the primary site and v3700 on the secondary, or 2 v3700. Mostly depends on expandability (read: number of disks and performance you need)

/Anders

• mimiaz
                  mimiaz
                  17 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-04T23:20:30Z  in response to AndersLorensen

Thank u very mush, you've answered many questions that were in my mind. Thank u a lot for ur time. This is very helpfull.

• mimiaz
                    mimiaz
                    17 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-15T10:51:32Z  in response to mimiaz

Hi it's me again,

If i virtualize the DS3500 behind the storwize v7000, what would be the connection? I mean, is the connection between DS3500 and storwize can be direct (and how) or need to be through a SAN (via SAN switchs)?

• chriscanto
                      chriscanto
                      276 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-15T17:19:02Z  in response to mimiaz

The Storwize V7000 doesn't support SAS attachment for external storage, and direct-attach FC is only support for certain host systems, so you would have to use a Fibre Channel connection through a SAN switch to virtualise an external storage system like a DS3500.

• mimiaz
                        mimiaz
                        17 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-16T13:09:21Z  in response to chriscanto

Actually the storwize v7000 that i want to use is actually in use in another project.It's in the illustration (Platform 1).

and i want to use it to virtualize my DS3500 that is in use in another platform (Platform 2). I want the connection still remain between the DS3500 and the bladecenter.

You might actually wondering why im doing all of this. The thing is that i want to replicate the data in the DS3500 to another storwize v7000 in a backup site, and since the replication between DS and storwize is not possible i wanted to virtualize the DS behind another storwize ( the one in use in the other platform). So is this possible? :/

Attachments