Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2017-03-20T19:59:53Z by MoragH
FrankHaarlem
FrankHaarlem
3 Posts

Pinned topic Errors in EventLog for Removed Channel

‏2017-03-17T14:02:50Z | channel error on removed

In our Test Environment we received many errors for a channel because the channel tried to connect to a server in another environment.
We decided to remove this channel because we were not allowed to connect this other server.
However the errors didn't disappear and we still have the same errors.

How can we stop those errors on a removed channel?

I have tried the command DISPLAY CHANNEL(xx) to see whether the channel still existed.

Maybe something hidden for the MQ Explorer.

But the output was as expected: AMQ8147: WebSphere MQ object xxx not found.

User(mqadmin) Program(amqrmppa.exe) Host(xxx) Installation(Installation1) VRMF(8.0.0.5) QMgr(SIPBATCH00)    Channel 'yyy' to host 'zzz' ended abnormally.      The channel program running under process ID XX or channel 'yyy' ended abnormally. The host name is 'zzz'; in some cases the host name cannot be determined and so is shown as '????'.      Look at previous error messages for the channel program in the error logs to determine the cause of the failure. Note that this message can be excluded completely or suppressed by tuning the "ExcludeMessage" or "SuppressMessage" attributes  under the "QMErrorLog" stanza in qm.ini. Further information can be found in the System Administration Guide.

• MoragH
    MoragH
    131 Posts

Re: Errors in EventLog for Removed Channel

‏2017-03-18T04:43:46Z  

What kind of channel was it that you removed? Was it a receiving type channel like a RCVR or SVRCONN?

Is there another machine with a queue manager with a SDR channel pointing to your queue manager and each time it tries to connect it fails because your channel definition is not there? If so, you'd need to remove or alter that sender channel.

Have you supplied two different error messages in your question? The reason I ask is that you show:-

AMQ8147: WebSphere MQ object xxx not found

and then you also show:-

Channel 'yyy' to host 'zzz' ended abnormally.

So the name of the channel is 'yyy'. Is the object being refered to (that is not found) perhaps something other than a channel, like maybe the transmission queue?

• FrankHaarlem
    FrankHaarlem
    3 Posts

‏2017-03-20T08:23:36Z  
    • MoragH
    • ‏2017-03-18T04:43:46Z

What kind of channel was it that you removed? Was it a receiving type channel like a RCVR or SVRCONN?

Is there another machine with a queue manager with a SDR channel pointing to your queue manager and each time it tries to connect it fails because your channel definition is not there? If so, you'd need to remove or alter that sender channel.

Have you supplied two different error messages in your question? The reason I ask is that you show:-

AMQ8147: WebSphere MQ object xxx not found

and then you also show:-

Channel 'yyy' to host 'zzz' ended abnormally.

So the name of the channel is 'yyy'. Is the object being refered to (that is not found) perhaps something other than a channel, like maybe the transmission queue?

It was a receive Channel with channel type Receiver.
    The error looks like a polling error from this Removed channel.
    The host, queue manager and the (removed) channel are clearly mentioned in the error.
    And they all point to our machine and our queue manager.

Besides, if another machine cannot reach us I expect errors on their machine and not on our machine.

There is only one error but I made a typo in the second error (I manually replaced the real names with xxx, yyy and zzz to hide our environment details and names).

The second error should be: AMQ8147: WebSphere MQ object yyy not found

In the EventLog were actually 4 errors, I only mentioned one because the other errors were almost identical to the one I mentioned.
    I will upload all 4 of them in attachment 1: "Errors last week"

Last weekend all servers (including the domain servers) are shutdown because of maintenance on the ESXI host.
    Today suddenly one of the errors disappeared:

User() Program(amqrmppa.exe) Host(WE) Installation(Installation1) VRMF(8.0.0.5) QMgr(xxx)    Slow DNS lookup for address 'zzz'.      An

attempt to resolve address 'zzz' using the 'getnameinfo' function call took 11 seconds to complete. This might indicate a problem with the

DNS configuration.      Ensure that DNS is correctly configured on the local system. &P If the address was an IP address then the slow

operation was a reverse DNS lookup. Some DNS configurations are not capable of reverse DNS lookups and some IP addresses have no  valid

reverse DNS entries. If the problem persists  consider disabling reverse DNS lookups until the issue with the DNS can be resolved.

Instead of the slow dns eror we now suddenly have a new error, the channel yyy doesn't exist.
    Not to mix up with the previous mentioned error "AMQ8147: WebSphere MQ object yyy not found" .
    Because the new error is in the Eventviewer from the same process as the other 3 errors.

So 1 process is mentioning a channel doesn't exist and is also ended abnormally.

I will upload the errors from today in attachment 2: "Errors today".

• MoragH
    MoragH
    131 Posts

‏2017-03-20T10:14:20Z  

The fact that the error indicating that your DNS is slow to lookup an address has gone away is a good thing. :-)

If the channel that the errors are appearing for is a receiver channel and it no longer exists, and the error messages appear in a manner that looks like a polling pattern, this very much sounds like a sender channel on another queue manager is RETRYING the connection to your channel and failing each time because the channel definition does not exist. I assume you have checked the error log (not just the event viewer) of the queue manager at host 'zzz' to see if it is reporting any errors about channel 'yyy'?

You should expect errors at BOTH ends of the channel - yours and the other machine.

The other errors you show from your event viewer are the catch-all ending message for a channel, you will see that each of them says "Look at previous error messages for the channel program in the error logs to determine the cause of the failure." or something similar. These messages feel like they are in reverse order, although it is hard to tell without the timestamps. I suspect that is just as a result of them coming from the event viewer rather than the error log. Check the error log too, make sure you are getting the full picture in the appropriate order.

In order to stop there error messages you need to stop the sender channel which is retrying into your queue manager, or redefine the receiver channel so that the connection can succeed.

Cheers,
    Morag

• FrankHaarlem
    FrankHaarlem
    3 Posts

‏2017-03-20T10:59:11Z  
    • MoragH
    • ‏2017-03-20T10:14:20Z

The fact that the error indicating that your DNS is slow to lookup an address has gone away is a good thing. :-)

If the channel that the errors are appearing for is a receiver channel and it no longer exists, and the error messages appear in a manner that looks like a polling pattern, this very much sounds like a sender channel on another queue manager is RETRYING the connection to your channel and failing each time because the channel definition does not exist. I assume you have checked the error log (not just the event viewer) of the queue manager at host 'zzz' to see if it is reporting any errors about channel 'yyy'?

You should expect errors at BOTH ends of the channel - yours and the other machine.

The other errors you show from your event viewer are the catch-all ending message for a channel, you will see that each of them says "Look at previous error messages for the channel program in the error logs to determine the cause of the failure." or something similar. These messages feel like they are in reverse order, although it is hard to tell without the timestamps. I suspect that is just as a result of them coming from the event viewer rather than the error log. Check the error log too, make sure you are getting the full picture in the appropriate order.

In order to stop there error messages you need to stop the sender channel which is retrying into your queue manager, or redefine the receiver channel so that the connection can succeed.

Cheers,
    Morag

I have checked the error logs on our machine but there are no errors.
    In the directory C:\ProgramData\IBM\MQ\errors the latest error is from ‎23 ‎march ‎2016, ‏‎11:39:48
    In the directory C:\ProgramData\IBM\MQ\log\QMDIV00\active the latest modify is from ‎23 ‎march ‎2016, ‏‎11:35:51
    So more then a year ago and no FSTT files on the whole machine.

I have no acces to the server zzz, but I will contact the adminstrators of that machine today.

• MoragH
    MoragH
    131 Posts

‏2017-03-20T19:59:53Z  

C:\ProgramData\IBM\MQ\errors is the client error log

C:\ProgramData\IBM\MQ\log\QMDIV00\active is the transaction log - you won't be able to read those files.

Please look in the queue manager error log which on your system will be found in:-

C:\ProgramData\IBM\MQ\qmgrs\QMDIV00\errors

However, server zzz is the more interesting one as the errors in your queue manager log should be similar to those you already looked at in the event viewer.