Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-05-14T19:53:11Z by Cleardoctor
Cleardoctor
Cleardoctor
20 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic what is the best way to converge code from different folder in clearcase?

‏2013-05-09T14:49:55Z |

Hello all,

I need some suggestions on the following issue.

Currently, I have code in this stream:tll_ltr_nyc@/ttl_pvob mastered at NYC (P_NYC folder of ttl_vob) and I would like to merge those code with latest changes in stream:aaa_ltr_lax@/ttl_pvob mastered at LAX (P_LAX folder of ttl_pvob). what will be the best way to proceed with converging code from one stream to another within same project vob but within two different folders?

Any help will be appreciated !!

Thanks

• Dave-Robinson
    Dave-Robinson
    116 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: what is the best way to converge code from different folder in clearcase?

‏2013-05-13T07:15:54Z  in response to Cleardoctor

First - disambiguation - declaring my understanding of your request.

a) You have a UCM component VOB "/ttl_vob" with a UCM component, and therein a foder (directory) called P_NYC, with some code files in it of unspecified development language.

b) This code has been developed from scratch in (or imported into) stream tll_ltr_nyc@/ttl_pvob, in a UCM project possibly called "tll_ltr" in /ttl_pvob

c) You have another UCM component that is actually IN the PVOB /ttl_pvob, with a subfolder "P_LAX", containing some code that is somehow related to the P_NYC code mentioned above.

d) You wish to have all this code available in folder P_NYC.

Disclaimer, do not set your expectations too high, for an automation tool to come up with a folder full of code that builds well !!

This is a job for an intelligent developer to do! The following should be considered just a "jump start".

1. Create a new stream in project tll_ltr:/ttl_pvob, with the same base foundation as the project integration stream.

2. If folder P_NYC is not visible in this stream, make it visible by merging parent directories. Use Version Tree Browser for merging (or cleartool merge) rather than Merge Mananger (or cleartool findmerge) because you want to merge only the directory itself. After doing this, the view should see the /main/0 version of all the files that stream tll_ltr_nyc sees.

3. Use clearfsimport to import file FROM a stream:aaa_ltr_lax view of folder P_LAX. After doing this you should see a non-empty version of files that come from P_LAX, and an empty version of files that are in P_NYC but no file of the same name in P_LAX

4. Deliver from stream tll_ltr_nyc to your new stream. This should "copy-merge" (overwrite) any of the zero byte files, and prompt you to resolve merge conflicts for any files that were present in both folders.

Good luck.

• Cleardoctor
      Cleardoctor
      20 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: what is the best way to converge code from different folder in clearcase?

‏2013-05-14T19:53:11Z  in response to Dave-Robinson

Thanks Dave !!

One quick question:

what will be the impact of changing the vob ownership to the users? I believe it will only matter to them only if we change the group. what else do we need to change once the vob ownership is changed?