Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-11-26T16:50:54Z by Mark_Gray
Mark_Gray
Mark_Gray
6 Posts

Pinned topic Run RFT from Jenkins

‏2013-08-09T16:28:17Z |

I was wondering if it possible to execute RFT scripts from Jenkins?  I've seen the threads about running RFT via a command line or .Bat file, but nothing about Jenkins. 

As part of our Development Continuous Integration and testing, we'd like to execute a set of RFT automated smoke tests after each build and unit test is complete and before our Integration team takes over.

If someone has done this before, please let me know what I must do.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

• m.z
    m.z
    54 Posts

Re: Run RFT from Jenkins

‏2013-08-11T07:31:52Z  

There is on out of the box integration of RFT with Jenkins. If Jenkins can start a batch file then that is way to do it by invoking RFT through a batch file

-mz

• Mark_Gray
    Mark_Gray
    6 Posts

‏2013-08-12T15:11:29Z  
    • m.z
    • ‏2013-08-11T07:31:52Z

There is on out of the box integration of RFT with Jenkins. If Jenkins can start a batch file then that is way to do it by invoking RFT through a batch file

-mz

You noted an out of the box integration.  Is this integration already part of RFT or something in Jenkins?  Either way, can you point me to this integration?

Can't find reference in RFT's documentation or in Jenkins online references.

Do you have an example of how this work work?

• OttoDiesel
    OttoDiesel
    51 Posts

‏2013-08-27T07:32:53Z  

The tricky issues with RFT will come after you start your tests with Jenkins.

Unfortunately IBM Rational provides little or false informations for the problems on the road ahead to full automation.

Maybe this helps you for your future problems if you haven't solved it already:

http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/27110/

• CostcoTravelLC
    CostcoTravelLC
    4 Posts

‏2013-10-02T22:23:31Z  

You noted an out of the box integration.  Is this integration already part of RFT or something in Jenkins?  Either way, can you point me to this integration?

Can't find reference in RFT's documentation or in Jenkins online references.

Do you have an example of how this work work?

I believe m.z meant "There is no out of the box integration..."

• Mark_Gray
    Mark_Gray
    6 Posts

‏2013-10-16T15:55:32Z  

The tricky issues with RFT will come after you start your tests with Jenkins.

Unfortunately IBM Rational provides little or false informations for the problems on the road ahead to full automation.

Maybe this helps you for your future problems if you haven't solved it already:

http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/27110/

Looking for an answer on how to make it work with RFT and Jenkins.  Not interested in SPAM for Smart Bear Software.

• OttoDiesel
    OttoDiesel
    51 Posts

‏2013-10-22T08:05:14Z  

Looking for an answer on how to make it work with RFT and Jenkins.  Not interested in SPAM for Smart Bear Software.

You did not understand that the information there provide solutions you will likely encounter when you want to schedule test execution on another computer. These solutions work for every test tool, you don't need to use Smartbear at all as a tool for these solutions.

m.z told you a solution for your specific question. Simply google for "rft command line execution" and you will find the solution for your specific question.

But you will likely encounter test execution problems if Jenkins runs the RFT tests on another computer. For these problems there are solutions which you can apply by looking at the Smartbear link I mentioned. As I said, you don't need that tool at all for these solutions.

Instead of using the official RFT command line execution API it could be possible to run RFT from a POJO. This is interesting for people who want to integrate RFT into another test tool like JUnit or JBehave. A possible solution for this I posted here: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000013981010&ps=25

This might not be your personal specific problem, but I know there are people out there who will need it and will be glad if they find it when they stumble upon this thread.

• java_rb999
    java_rb999
    5 Posts

‏2013-11-26T13:42:28Z  

Hi Mark,

I had the same question. Please let me know if you found a solution for this.Please share it.

Thanks!

• Mark_Gray
    Mark_Gray
    6 Posts

‏2013-11-26T16:50:54Z  

Hi Mark,

I had the same question. Please let me know if you found a solution for this.Please share it.

Thanks!

I found no out of the box solutions for running RFT from Jenkins.  I was however able to run RFT from a command line.  Ended up creating a Perl script to execute the bat file from Jenkins. 

Kind of a backwards way of doing it, but it worked.