IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-03-26T13:48:46Z by Providentsh
Providentsh
Providentsh
5 Posts

Pinned topic DS3200 Multiple Arrays

‏2014-03-24T21:31:50Z |

I have a DS3200 with 12 146GB drives. Can I create:

- 1 raid 5 array (4 drives)

- 4 raid 1 arrays (2 drives)

- 2 hot spares

Is this possible? Is currently set up with one logical drive raid 10 and 2 hot spares.

Thanks.

Kevin

• Mangesh Shirke
    Mangesh Shirke
    43 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DS3200 Multiple Arrays

‏2014-03-26T04:07:42Z  

setting up the different RAIDs for a sql database server per my vendor recommended setup.

Hi Kevin,

If your application vendor is recommending this setup, then I don't see any challenge from storage front to configure it.

Thanks.

Mangesh Shirke

• Mangesh Shirke
    Mangesh Shirke
    43 Posts

‏2014-03-25T05:19:18Z  

Hi Kevin,

As you said you are having total 12 146GB drives. If you create configurations which you are thinking of then ....

- 1 raid 5 array (4 drives): Total 4 drives will be used for raid 5 array.

- 4 raid 1 arrays (2 drives): Total 4*2=8 drives.

- 2 hot spares: Total 2 drives.

So as per this configuration you will need total 4+8+2=14 drives. Whereas you are only having 12 drives. So this configuration is not possible.

Also if you want to reconfigure storage, you will lose data on storage. You will have to backup and restore data using some other medium.

Thanks.

Mangesh Shirke.

• Providentsh
    Providentsh
    5 Posts

‏2014-03-25T13:48:51Z  

Hi Kevin,

As you said you are having total 12 146GB drives. If you create configurations which you are thinking of then ....

So as per this configuration you will need total 4+8+2=14 drives. Whereas you are only having 12 drives. So this configuration is not possible.

Also if you want to reconfigure storage, you will lose data on storage. You will have to backup and restore data using some other medium.

Thanks.

Mangesh Shirke.

Mangesh,

I apologize I meant 3 raid 1 arrays. So the total drive count would be 12.  So, it is possible to configure multiple raid arrays within the ds3200? 

thanks for your time. 

Kevin

• Providentsh
    Providentsh
    5 Posts

‏2014-03-25T13:51:21Z  

Hi Kevin,

Thanks.

Mangesh Shirke.

Mangesh,

I apologize I meant 3 raid 1 arrays. So the total drive count would be 12.  So, it is possible to configure multiple raid arrays within the ds3200? 

thanks for your time. 

Kevin

• Mangesh Shirke
    Mangesh Shirke
    43 Posts

‏2014-03-25T13:56:59Z  

Mangesh,

thanks for your time. 

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Yes you can configure it. But it is not good practice to create multiple raid arrays. Because if you create multiple array's then you will get lesser spindles to use.

Is there any specific requirement for creating multiple arrays...???

Thanks.

Mangesh Shirke

• Mangesh Shirke
    Mangesh Shirke
    43 Posts

‏2014-03-25T14:00:27Z  

Mangesh,

thanks for your time. 

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Yes you can configure it. But it is not good practice to create multiple raid arrays. Because if you create multiple array's then you will get lesser spindles to use.

Thanks.

Mangesh Shirke

• Providentsh
    Providentsh
    5 Posts

‏2014-03-25T17:05:38Z  

Hi Kevin,

Thanks.

Mangesh Shirke

setting up the different RAIDs for a sql database server per my vendor recommended setup.

• Mangesh Shirke
    Mangesh Shirke
    43 Posts

‏2014-03-26T04:07:42Z  

Hi Kevin,

If your application vendor is recommending this setup, then I don't see any challenge from storage front to configure it.

Thanks.

Mangesh Shirke

• Providentsh
    Providentsh
    5 Posts

‏2014-03-26T13:48:46Z  

Hi Kevin,

Thanks.

Mangesh Shirke

Thanks for your help. 

Kevin